Best ways to manage time in college?

Asked Bordentown, New Jersey

I'm a current college sophomore, and I never feel like I have enough time in the day. I want to do well in my classes, but when I study it's very time consuming. This wasn't so bad before, but now that I'm trying to get more involved around campus and applying for internships I've got a lot less free time. I don't want to waste so much time that I become burnt out. What were some ways you managed your time?
#time #time-management #college-advice #stress #stress-management #college

Wendy’s Answer

Hi Joshua. You've touched on a subject that I think everyone deals with, and it certainly is a challenge for me managing a career. There are a few things that have helped me tremendously over the years.

1. Know your priorities. Determine what's most important to you, and I would recommend you write them down in order. Then, when something comes up you can look at where it lies on the list. If you have a big assignment, things in the lower priority list may have to wait.
  2. Keep a calendar. I keep a schedule in Google but I also have a bullet journal and like to have a place to write things down. That helps me remember my commitments.
  3. Make appointments with yourself. After you factor in your class schedule, block time on your calendar for your priorities. Be sure to include time to sleep, eat, and exercise. And be sure you schedule time for fun. This will help be sure you don't get burnt out.
  4. Turn off notifications on your phone. Every app wants your attention all of the time. If it isn't a calendar reminder, phone call, or text message, consider whether you need the notifications or you can go to the app when you have time. If I'm not careful even now, I can lose a lot of time to social media and so have to discipline myself to not look at my phone.
  5. Turn off your ringer and all outside distractions when it's study time. It may be easier to do that in a place like the library where you can focus.
  6. Do your best work during your best time of the day. For me, that's first thing in the morning. When I was in school it was around 11pm. You know when you are at your best. Take your best time for you.

It's great to hear you are focusing on this now, because the habits you develop now will also help you avoid burnout and have much success in your career.

Wendy recommends the following next steps:

• Write down your priorities

<span style="background-color: transparent;">You have to set a routine for yourself and stick to it for the most part. Once you get into the groove of a routine it will be much easier for you to manage your time and have enough time for everything you need to do (including relaxing). Make yourself to-do lists on a weekly basis, use Google calendar or a planner to keep track of events, deadlines, and due dates. In addition to setting a routine and sticking to it, plan out relaxing activities into your day. Or set aside a time, after everything is done for the day, that you can have "me" time. I have also personally found it essential to not only find time for myself but also make use of that time in a way that is best for me and my holistic wellness. I have found the HeadSpace app to be an essential tool in helping me relax and generally feel more relaxed throughout the day, Guided meditation, even if you have a busy schedule, will make you feel more at ease and relaxed throughout the day as a whole (not just when you have the time to relax and focus on that "me" time).</span>

<span style="background-color: transparent;">Set a routine.Use Google Calendar.Set aside Me TimeWrite weekly to-do lists and use a planner.Find a peaceful and restful activity that will help you feel relaxed.</span>