How did you know your major was right for you?

I recently chose my major for college but I've been having some second thoughts. I don't have any close family members who went to college and it would be really great to hear from someone who has experience how exactly you knew you'd made the right decision when choosing your major. #major #confused #help #collegebound

Katie’s Answer

Selecting a major can definitely feel overwhelming. I know I felt overwhelmed. Especially when a majority of my friends were changing their majors, sometimes more than once. The biggest thing to keep in mind is yourself.

Katie recommends the following next steps:

• Make sure it is something YOU love. If you find yourself dreading going to your classes that support your major, maybe you need to reconsider a different one. Which is OK!
  • Take any opportunity to assess yourself. These will provide guidance for what might work for YOU. There are online assessments. You can attend career days. Ask any kind of school or course counselor. Tons of opportunities to discover your passion.
  • Know that is OK for YOU to change your mind.
I didn't pick my major until I was a junior. It was at that time that I finally took a class that interested me and I found fun. I went through Accounting, Marketing, Kinesiology, and finally ended up in MIS after taking a computer class. Do what interests you, what you find enjoyable and rewarding. Anthony Porembski

Alyssa’s Answer

Truth is you may never know. I still question if I choose the "right" major and I graduated 3 years ago . I am one of the few who stuck with my original major. Sometimes I wonder how my life would be different if I had switched to an education major my sophomore year. The world will never know. You need to keep an open mind, be aware and recognize when something is not for you. If you do ever reach a conclusion that your major isn't right for you then you'll need to be proactive towards finding your new direction. In the work I did during and after college I really learned more of what I didn't like and as a result ended up doing what I do like.

Alyssa recommends the following next steps:

• Remain mindful of the path you are on
  • Recognize if you want to change your direction
  • Go after it
Many people question their selected major. My daughter changed her major three times. As we grow our interests may change. If your college has a career center I recommend starting there. They are equipped tools to help you decide if you are in the right major. If you decide to change majors they can help. They also may have internships or job shadowing programs that will connect you with a professional in your major. This will provide you with an opportunity to see what some professionals in your selected major do daily. You can also go to O*NET Online. It has a interest inventory that you can use. After your results are calculated it will show you different jobs based on your interest. These jobs are broad, however it will give you ideas about different careers fields. Teresa M. Williams

<span style="background-color: transparent;">Collegeboard.org is a great resource for this! I poured through the pages of universities all over the U.S. when I was a senior in high school. Collegeboard was my go-to site! They put all of the information in one place and it is very easy to use. They even have various filters you can apply to see only colleges that have programs you are interested. To determine academic rigor, look at the admissions requirements, G.P.A. of past admitted applicants, SAT/ACT scores, class rank etc. This will give you an idea of what scores and grades you need to be accepted. However, don't be discouraged your application will be reviewed based on the full picture! College-board will help you get an idea of what is most important to the specific school you are applying to.</span>

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• <span style="background-color: transparent;">Chat with your Guidance Counselor</span>
  • <span style="background-color: transparent;">Create a Collegeboard.org account</span>
  • <span style="background-color: transparent;">Start using CollegeBoard as a resource to look up schools.</span>

Sheenita’s Answer

Hello Sarah, I wish I could tell you a path to the "right decision" for choosing your major. I think you will come to that decision on your own. Follow your intuition and let your passion lead you to what major you should pursue. When you find what you love to do...everything else falls in line. I changed my major in college as well and still went opposite of my selected major. In hindsight, I am glad I did this because I would have never been able to pursue writing.