4 answers
Asked
589 views
How do I pave a pathway to becoming a Obstetrician? Is it possible for me to get my bachelors in nursing while getting my pre-med requisites? What are the steps to becoming a Obstetrician?
I am a junior in high school who is also planning to graduate high school with a LPN and I want to further my education to become/work as a BSN RN while studying to become a Obstetrician but I don't understand how to become a Obstetrician or the steps to become one. Some tips would really help me.
4 answers
Updated
Marisel’s Answer
Hi Carisa,
The above responses by the other physician are spot on. If you're considering becoming an Obstetrician, remember that it involves being a Gynecologist too, focusing on Women's Health. Dr. Chuang mentioned it's a long journey, so you might want to try for medical school or start with a nursing degree and maybe aim to become a Nurse Midwife. As a Nurse Midwife, you'll work mostly in Obstetrics with some office gynecology.
Some Ob/Gyne doctors focus only on Obstetrics. These specialists, called perinatologists or maternal-fetal-medicine doctors, handle high-risk pregnancies. This path requires an extra three years of training after the four-year residency.
I hope this helps you explore your options and figure out what you truly want. Wishing you the best on your journey!
The above responses by the other physician are spot on. If you're considering becoming an Obstetrician, remember that it involves being a Gynecologist too, focusing on Women's Health. Dr. Chuang mentioned it's a long journey, so you might want to try for medical school or start with a nursing degree and maybe aim to become a Nurse Midwife. As a Nurse Midwife, you'll work mostly in Obstetrics with some office gynecology.
Some Ob/Gyne doctors focus only on Obstetrics. These specialists, called perinatologists or maternal-fetal-medicine doctors, handle high-risk pregnancies. This path requires an extra three years of training after the four-year residency.
I hope this helps you explore your options and figure out what you truly want. Wishing you the best on your journey!
Updated
Rita’s Answer
These are the steps to be an OB-Gyn:
1. 4 years high school
2. 4 years college
3. 4 years medical school
4. 4 years of internship/residency
Most doctors that I know do not get a degree in nursing to become a doctor but that doesn't mean you cannot do it. I don't know the steps to become a RN but because the time to become an OB-Gyn is long, I would just try to get into medical school.
1. 4 years high school
2. 4 years college
3. 4 years medical school
4. 4 years of internship/residency
Most doctors that I know do not get a degree in nursing to become a doctor but that doesn't mean you cannot do it. I don't know the steps to become a RN but because the time to become an OB-Gyn is long, I would just try to get into medical school.
Updated
Perry’s Answer
Hi Carisa,
Hi Carisa,
It sounds like you are on top of things in terms of planning for your possible paths for the future. Good for you. And you are asking smart questions here.
I'll leave it to others to give you good advice on how to succeed along the way. I'm just going to outline the road map here.
Getting a BSN sounds like a great idea. You then have a nursing career set if you want it. But to then also do medical school afterward, you would still have to complete all of the required prerequisite classes for med school while in the BSN program. However, if the BSN program does not leave room for completing all of the required classes for medical school while you're in the program, then you will be forced to make a choice. Either do BSN training, or go to regular college and do all of the med school requirements along the way to obtaining a bachelor's degree.
Anyway, let's now focus on the path to becoming an Obstetrician. Three major things, each of them usually takes 4 years.
ONE. Complete all of the prerequisite classes for medical school while completing college [or while completing a BSN program if that's possible].
TWO. Go to medical school.
THREE. Do residency in Obstetrics & Gynecology.
Now, I don't think it's possible to practice Obstetrics solely and not actually do a full Ob-Gyn practice, either in private practice or in a paid job. To find that out you need to turn to an Ob-Gyn MD specialist. I would think that it would be impossible to separate Ob from Gyn, but I could be wrong. Hopefully an Ob-Gyn MD will respond here to tell you. If not, if you can get a hold of an Ob-Gyn elsewhere, they can tell you.
Anyway, stay on top of things as you are doing, keep asking questions, and you will then make good educated choices and make your dreams happen.
Perry
Hi Carisa,
It sounds like you are on top of things in terms of planning for your possible paths for the future. Good for you. And you are asking smart questions here.
I'll leave it to others to give you good advice on how to succeed along the way. I'm just going to outline the road map here.
Getting a BSN sounds like a great idea. You then have a nursing career set if you want it. But to then also do medical school afterward, you would still have to complete all of the required prerequisite classes for med school while in the BSN program. However, if the BSN program does not leave room for completing all of the required classes for medical school while you're in the program, then you will be forced to make a choice. Either do BSN training, or go to regular college and do all of the med school requirements along the way to obtaining a bachelor's degree.
Anyway, let's now focus on the path to becoming an Obstetrician. Three major things, each of them usually takes 4 years.
ONE. Complete all of the prerequisite classes for medical school while completing college [or while completing a BSN program if that's possible].
TWO. Go to medical school.
THREE. Do residency in Obstetrics & Gynecology.
Now, I don't think it's possible to practice Obstetrics solely and not actually do a full Ob-Gyn practice, either in private practice or in a paid job. To find that out you need to turn to an Ob-Gyn MD specialist. I would think that it would be impossible to separate Ob from Gyn, but I could be wrong. Hopefully an Ob-Gyn MD will respond here to tell you. If not, if you can get a hold of an Ob-Gyn elsewhere, they can tell you.
Anyway, stay on top of things as you are doing, keep asking questions, and you will then make good educated choices and make your dreams happen.
Perry
Updated
Vanessa’s Answer
On my path to medical school, I learned to follow my curiosity and pursue subjects that inspired me to keep learning. In high school, I especially enjoyed chemistry, so when I started college, I chose to major in chemistry and minor in biology. At the time, I was planning on a career in pharmacy because I appreciated the logical and problem-solving aspects of chemistry.
During college, I had an opportunity to work in a laboratory led by my anatomy and physiology professor. This experience gave me valuable one-on-one mentorship. She recognized strengths and abilities in me that I had not fully appreciated and encouraged me to explore a career in medicine rather than pharmacy. On reflecting, that guidance changed my trajectory. As an LPN you will learn communication skills and become familiar with clinical procedures and medical charting. You might choose areas that allow understanding of women's health and pregnancy.
Do set goals, remain open to new opportunities, and pay attention to what genuinely energizes you and sparks your interest. More importantly enjoy the journey and know that even though there are turns and detours, along the way you are accumulating valuable tools. Social connection (in person especially), having a mentor and sponsor at different junctures are also critical. Sometimes the people who know us well can help us see possibilities we had never considered.
https://pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC12597567/
During college, I had an opportunity to work in a laboratory led by my anatomy and physiology professor. This experience gave me valuable one-on-one mentorship. She recognized strengths and abilities in me that I had not fully appreciated and encouraged me to explore a career in medicine rather than pharmacy. On reflecting, that guidance changed my trajectory. As an LPN you will learn communication skills and become familiar with clinical procedures and medical charting. You might choose areas that allow understanding of women's health and pregnancy.
Do set goals, remain open to new opportunities, and pay attention to what genuinely energizes you and sparks your interest. More importantly enjoy the journey and know that even though there are turns and detours, along the way you are accumulating valuable tools. Social connection (in person especially), having a mentor and sponsor at different junctures are also critical. Sometimes the people who know us well can help us see possibilities we had never considered.
Vanessa recommends the following next steps:
Delete Comment
Flag Comment