Should I learn Python or R or other programming language?

5

I'm a college student in Economics and Finance. Right now I am quite good at Excel VBA and I want to learn one more programming language to give me an advantage in finding jobs. It seems to me that Python and R have their own strengths and weaknesses but I'm not too sure about it.
#job-search #finance #economics #programming #python #R

5

Bradley’s Answer

2
I do web development now, mostly. I Never use Python nor R for web. You should try and learn Python first IMO. Python is a language for solving problems so by all means use it; R Ive never had to use, and dont know what it does. Matlab is important to know also

Python is so widely used, Matlab too that they are required, foundational. R depends on what problems one is trying to solve. I dont work in Economics/Finance. If you know VBA, thats visual basic so VB.net is the closest language, maybe the easiest to learn. anything vb.net can do (pretty much) C# can do. you can write vb code, run thru a converter and get c#
2

Jorge’s Answer

1
I definitely recommend Python. It has a very short learning curve and can be used for quick and dirty automation. If you ever want to pursue a career in software development, this language will make you marketable. R, on the other hand is more of a niche language for data science.

Jorge recommends the following next steps:

• Learn Python
1

Lei’s Answer

0
As someone who's trying to learn both, I'd highly recommend Python: it is used for a lot more things than R is, but I feel like R is simpler to use and is more statistically-minded than Python is (or maybe that's just because I'm much better at R than Python!). So it's up to you!
0

Bharat’s Answer

0
Firstly, which field you are looking to work.
Pyhton can be used for both data science and web development.
But R only can be use for DS
0

Christopher’s Answer

0
R is for grad students. Learn python.
0