With COVID-19, will possible for me to work or study abroad in the near future?

19

Suzanne’s Answer

Hi Yuri,

I work with a travel abroad study program based out of CA and that travels to the UK and continent annually. Our travel plans for the fall 2020 semester are on hold pending a final decision that is due late June. The deciding factors are numerous but include: the state of outbreak in the USA, UK, and continent, the status of other countries in terms of opening of economy, and status of our sister University in the UK as far as allowing students on campus.

As a retired oncology research nurse who also worked during the HIV epidemic, I would like people to understand that our future depends on our present decisions. Covid19 will determine our course of action independently of what we would like to have happen. The human race has never encountered this virus and it will continue to infect as many people as possible. This is why stay-at-home and social distancing are so important. We are holding the virus at bay while scientists work to develop the best testing, optimal therapeutic treatments, and eventually a vaccine to help prevent the disease (at least to some degree). This work will take AT LEAST 18 months.

So, to answer your question, in the short term being the next 6 months, it is not likely that many schools will allow study abroad programs to proceed. I may be wrong, but the information I review every day is leading me to say this. If your personal plans allow you to remain in school until fall of 2021, things may be very different.

Personally, I would look into virtual work at this time. This may take a bit of research, but you may be able to find work with a foreign based company depending on your areas of interest and expertise. Virtual work will most likely be a positive outcome from this pandemic. We may all be reducing our use of cars! A little bit of a silver lining.

Looking towards the future may seem to be depressing in these moments. But the world, the economy, education, travel will resume at some point. And all those things may look very different.

I hope you can be visionary and see a bright future that is not only different, but better than what COVID19 has left behind.

You may find this article helpful:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/03/20/covid-19-disrupts-international-student-exchange-both-directions

Best,
Sue

Thank you so much for the exhaustive answer, and considering that it comes from someone who already lived in these terrible situations it's even more meaningful! Yuri G.

3

Erik’s Answer

Hi! I'm a half glass full type of person so I feel confident that eventually there will be some sort of normalcy. There are brighter days ahead! Although it's not likely you can travel or study abroad now, I would come up with a list of countries you'd like to visit and follow the normal courses of action when it comes to studying abroad. I wish I had taken advantage of that opportunity when I was in college as people who've gone away couldn't stop talking about the experiences they had. Wishing you a healthy and safe 2020!

1

Alexandra’s Answer

This would depend on the country where you would like to work or study. However, bear in mind that if you have an invitation form an employer, you should be able to travel for work study purposes if not in 2020, then next year for sure. As a piece of advice that you may have already received, I would say this: try to engage in remote work as much as you can. Look for opportunities that may be outside of what you planned. Take an online language class. Those who work hard and have skills will eventually be allowed to travel even though there will be certain precautions.

1

Dennis’s Answer

It looks like you're in Italy, so if abroad means the United States, the answer is you might be able to in the fall - but maybe wait until the spring. Right now, people are being cautious and trying to stop the global spread. I might suggest you wait until spring as you may have additional opportunities that may not be available this fall. Hope this helps!

Oh, and while it's not as much fun, you could even do a virtual semester abroad. It would give you exposure to being immersed in the language, phrases, and bring some additional perspective to your learning. But admittedly, it's not nearly as much fun!

1

Satinderjeet’s Answer

Hopefully, the spring semesters in many countries especially in Canada, US and Australia are expected to be open for the new students to join school campuses in person. However, many universities are skeptical regarding the fall semesters.
Universities in Australia are even giving options to enroll but study online from your home country for this year and join the campus from next year.
Given the current uncertain scenario of the pandemic; it's uncertain to say for sure how things will unfold. But hopefully universities are coming up with innovative plans for coming semesters. Try reaching out to the point of contacts of the universities you are interested in. Good Luck!

0

Sendil’s Answer

Stick to the original plan – continue your application process
If you’ve decided to study this year, that means you’ve already started your application process. So, yes, this pandemic comes at the worst possible time. But the academic year start of 2020 might not be lost just yet.
. Postpone your studies for the beginning of 2021
. Study an online degree
Keep learning with online short courses

0

There are numerous travel restrictions in various countries right now, however you will be able to possibly work or study virtually. I have had a virtual internship during the pandemic and worked with people in various different countries

0

Soujanya’s Answer

Hi, This is something that would reside in all student's mind if they wish to pursue education overseas. We all are surviving in this pandemic and the medical professors and others are giving best to come out with a vaccine for the same which may take a while as it needs to undergo trials. Having said this, we will be able to cross this situation and the curve may flattened pretty soon. Again, note that the new normal may not be teh new normal but be prepared for anything that may come in. Prep yourself for all those entrance tests, so when things start opening up, you shud be ready to grab those opportunities coming your way!

0

Rick’s Answer

I think the world we know it will be different. I'm sure there will be various opportunities that companies will embrace. This article may help.

https://globalworkplaceanalytics.com/work-at-home-after-covid-19-our-forecast

0

Marília’s Answer

I believe that it depends on the country you want to study at.
I have friends that were able to start their Erasmus program (in Europe, of course) and also friends from Brazil that are coming to study in Portugal. The problem is that they are still not sure if they will be able to attend regular classroom sessions or virtual ones. That's the risk you need to be aware of. :)

0

Ram’s Answer

You may find it difficult to study or work abroad during the pandemic. I know that all schools will probably have different rules and regulations n place so you will have to check if your school is still offering it. However, there are also virtual study/work abroad courses available online that you should check out and look into. I know that iXperience is one of the many programs that offered a virtual internship in another nation. Hope this helps!

0

Helen’s Answer

Hi Yuri,

Right now we live in very uncertain times. Just keep in mind that this situation will pass and we should not forget. You will be able to study abroad, do not give up on that idea!

0

Becky’s Answer

As always, be careful when you do decide to travel. Most companies are halting their work abroad programs for liability sake. I imagine a lot of campuses are feeling the same way. Plan on staying put for the next semester and see what happens. We will find a way to open those avenues back up. It may just be a while. Good luck!

Thanks for the answer. I'll try my best for the future, after every crisis there are always better times! Yuri G.

0

A valid valid concern. The impact of COVID has definetly created a little cause for concern but we as humans will adapt and overcome this hurdle. This isnt the first widespread pandemic and I would bet it will not be the last. Continue to plump up your resume and skills for when the time comes to openly travel with minimized concerns for the virus.

0

Eugenia’s Answer

Most countries are still trying to have the covid-19 virus under control, and evaluating the safety measurements and implementation plans. Some countries don’t issue visas to non-citizens currently. Airlines are also evaluating when to resume the flight schedules, etc.

There are a lot of unknown at this time. To travel, work or study abroad, it's better to wait till next year or later. While, in the meantime, it's good to read, study, and learn more about the countries you are interested in visiting. When the time is right, you are ready to go!

0

Holly’s Answer

Hi Yuri,
This is a great question! It's going to depend on the university you currently attend/plan to attend as well as the current situation at the time you plan to study abroad. For some universities, they have cancelled the Fall 2020 program and a few have cancelled Spring 2021 already. I would check your school's specific policies and if there is no official cancellation, still continue to work on your applications as you normally would. I was actually studying abroad in Italy this past semester and unfortunately had to come home 2 months early because of COVID-19. It was still an amazing experience, although cut short, and I hope you are still able to have that same experience. If for any reason, you are not able to study abroad an entire semester there are great programs that offer Spring Break trips, Summer terms and other great opportunities. I know I am already planning to go back to Italy when it is safe to travel!

Hope this helps!

0

Kei’s Answer

Hi Yuri. Good question. I am sure that once we flatten the curve out of this pandemic around the world, we will go back to normalcy. By then options will start to re-open again.

My suggestion is, while we are all asked to stay at home for our own safety. Think of other ways to study abroad virtually. Look for online courses from different communities and/or schools and universities which you find interesting. You may not be in the actual country physically but you are learning what they are offering so just think that you are there.

Things will change. We just have to pray and hope that everything will go back to normal sooon!

0