Which is the best way to cope with feeling "stuck" in the career/job that you are in?

I am asking this question because I have the constant thought of possibly being contained with a low-paying job and clinging to the finances of my parents for the rest of my life, which I desperately want to avoid, as does every soon-to-be adult. Some family members say that they are not happy at their job but are able to have decent lives and not look too stressed. If I had to stay at a middle quality job, I would like to know the best way to avoid feeling hopeless. professor interviews counselor therapy manager director life-coach statistics

7

Bryan’s Answer

Life is too short not to be happy doing what you're doing. The job market is great. There are more resources (free) available than ever for knowledge and certifications. Ask around. Seek out someone that seems "happy" in what they're doing and map out some next steps for yourself to get there!
0

N’s Answer

You are not stuck. What you are doing today does not mean it is what you will be doing for the rest of your life. Be open to hearing about what else is out there, what other kinds of jobs may be of interest to you, have those conversations with people, learn about what they do, as you never know what ideas they could come up with. They may talk to you about a role that you didn't even know existed.

For example, when I was graduating college, When interviewing, I had no idea what field I wanted to be in either, and I was just going with the flow to see what field the interviewing was going to lead me to. As a matter of fact, when I got interviewed, the interviewer chose what career path they thought I would be a good fit in. They told me they could see me as a good fit in their forensics data analytics practice, and I did not even know what Forensics meant at the time, but i was open to hearing and learning more about it. I am 30 years old today and I am in this field that they thought would be a good fit for me. Do I love it? Yes and No. It all depends on many factors. Do I think that is the only future for me? Absolutely not. I still don't know where the future may lead my future, but I am open to landing on a different career path, if that appears to me as a better fit, vene if that is 10 years from now. Maybe I will have a conversation with someone who will give me different ideas about what to do with my future.
0

Carol’s Answer

Hi. This is a good question and I can feel the stress you are under. Its hard to know the answer because there are so many circumstances that impact where your career goes. So many opportunities come up that allow you to make choices that take you down new paths. My best suggestion is that I when I was at your stage in life, I would read a lot of books about what people do in life. Some things intrigued me and i would imagine myself doing that same work. Perhaps one way to solve this is to spend some time each day imaging having a career in an area that really inspires you and makes you feel happy. Whatever that path is, you should look into what that career entails and what you need to do to be in that career. You can do anything you put your mind to do. The only thing that can hold you back is you. So don't feel stuck or give up. Think about what makes you interested and happy and pursue it. Some times you may not find that until you are actually in college. Some people find it even after college. You always have opportunities that can take you in new directions your entire life. Some day you will look back and smile. Best of luck to you. I know you can do it.

0

Agata’s Answer

I'm sorry you are feeling stuck or hopeless, but I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. Your current job may not be your "dream job", but you clearly have ambitions and aspirations for something different. That in itself is a great attitude. You are still very young, but I think many of us, young or adults (especially) sometimes feel stuck in the daily routine of our jobs. To some degree that is to be expected. However, we should not let this feeling become the norm. There is always another options. We always have a choice. We might not like the choices we have, but we do have a choice to make. Sounds like you have already decided you want to change the situation. That is great news! But remember, knowing is not enough. Only actions will change your current situation. I agree with the answers you have received above. Do some research, read books and attend training whenever you can to expend your horizons. You can still do your current job, there is no need to panic, but in the mean time, you could be planning your better future. Outline what is it you would like to do instead? Figure this out first. And once you have few ideas, map out what it would take for you to have that job/career. What would you need to do, classes/training, etc. to perform that job. Have a plan, a roadmap with phases and steps, because it will take a while. But only with clear goals and a plan you will be able to provide a better future for yourself. You can do it! Thousands of others have done it. Go for it and good luck!

0

Jordan’s Answer

What is your dream job? Can you reasonably identify a path towards that career/role? Do you have access to anyone in your field of interest that you could talk to in developing a series of career steps to help get you to the destination?

All questions I would ask myself if you know where you want to go. If you aren't sure what your next step is, sometimes gaining additional experience in another related field will help round out your set of skills that you can market as you work to make the next step up the career ladder. Not all moves are up, sometimes they are sideways and help you develop new skills that you can use towards your future dream job.
0

Mary ’s Answer

Hi Amber,

Never feel stuck or hopeless. You have to set yourself goals for example one year, two year and five year goal. The goals have to be realistic and reachable. The first year attend a training class for the job you want for example college or a trade school. Once you are working toward your goals you will be able to accomplish all that you set your mind to a better job.

Stay focus toward your goals. We all can achieved and change our future by setting your mind to where you want to be

Good luck Amber

0

Amber,

I have always told people that when you don't know what to do, or feel stuck in a role that does not feel like a fit, is take a class(es) that is of interest to you, even if you think it is not related in anyway. If anyone ever said that they had feelings of hopelessness at work, I would encourage them to take a class in something that was interesting to them. It opens up whole new worlds with new ideas and new interesting people. There are more things that you can imagine out there that would be exciting to get up each day and do.

After Steve Jobs dropped out of college, he took a calligraphy class and other classes that interested him.

The Trappist monk whose calligraphy inspired Steve Jobs — and influenced Apple's designs
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/03/08/the-trappist-monk-whose-calligraphy-inspired-steve-jobs-and-influenced-apples-designs/

All the best!

Richard

0