40
Asked 2861 views

What is a perfect career for me?

#career-choice #career #career-path I am a fifth grader going to 6th grade and I don't know what to do. My dad is pressuring me to choose my career and find a colleg, but how do I know what I want to do for sure?

Thank you comment icon Thank you everyone for helping me! I told my dad that I was a little too young and that I wouldn't most likely like the same things when I am older. I gave him a list of interests and I found some colleges that had all of them! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Mochi
Thank you comment icon Great update Mochi. Like so many other great answers here, I agree with giving yourself time to research and find out more about your interests before choosing a career. I have two daughters who both recently graduated college. One finished grad school and knew exactly what she wanted to do since early in high school. Every individual is different. Be sure to give yourself the time you need to think about it, do some research, and find out where your strengths and passions are. But congrats to you in starting the process to think about it and seek advice on a great platform like CareerVillage. Best wishes to you in your future goals and please keep asking questions. We are here for you! Melisa Cameron

40

7

Doc’s Answer

I completely understand Mochi.

It's one of the first big independent decisions of your academic life. Most likely your parents have hammered into you, choosing a major in college is an important decision. It's important to listen to your parents' concerns and advice. However, it's important for you to remember it's ultimately your major. You will have to do the work and ultimately leverage that major as you transition into the workforce.

WHAT ARE YOUR INTERESTS?

The first thing to consider when picking a major is what you like to do. By the time you graduate high school you’ll have enough information and experience from your classes to figure out what you might or might not be interested in pursuing. When choosing the right career path for you, the most important thing that you need to remember is to stick to your interests.

• LIST 10 THINGS YOU LOVE – Listing what you love doing, both inside or outside the classroom, is a great way to see possible paths you can take. If you enjoy art and drawing but you’re also interested in technology, consider majoring in graphic design. If you’re into business and traveling, investigate majoring in international business.

• STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES – Figuring out your strengths and weaknesses can help you assess what kind of major to go into. For example, if public speaking isn’t really your thing, you might want to avoid majors that could lead to careers like being a news anchor or spokesperson. When it comes to your qualities, pay attention to how you respond in certain situations. Are you the type of person that aims for perfection? Do you respond well to pressure? Your answers to these questions will help you figure out the next step after you’ve determined your interests.

• BE PATIENT – Decide on what type of business you want to be involved in and then get the necessary knowledge and develop the skills needed to make it happen. Don’t decide on your career path just because you’re being pressured by your parents. Your ahead of the game, you've got plenty of time out to figure out what you really want to do. Making a career out of what you love doing is not as easy as you may think. Expect to encounter a few bumps in the road while you’re treading down the path that you’ve chosen. Give it time and continue striving to achieve what you’ve envisioned for yourself. Besides, success is always sweeter when you know that you’ve worked really hard for it.

• JOB SHADOWING BENEFITS – Job shadowing is a useful way to learn about a particular job of interest. It involves spending time following a professional in that job. By observing the life of the professional for anywhere from a few hours to as long as a week, you'll get a sense of what that job is really like. By providing a snapshot of a day in the life of an experienced professional, it can help you decide whether or not you think you would enjoy and feel passionate about the job. It also can help you decide if your skills match the career field of interest and how your skills from school and other jobs might translate to this job.

• TAP YOUR SCHOOLS RESOURCES – The best source of college advice is your school counselor. They’ve helped lots of students who are making the same decisions you are. Your school counselor can tell you more about college majors and program offerings. Your school counselor are trained to give you the best advice as to how that would impact your chances of finishing school in a reasonable amount of time. You deserve to have a successful academic experience wherever you go to school. Fortunately, your school counselor feel the same way regarding your success in school. Students who do well in a particular program will recommend other people for that program. This helps both the student and the school get better and set a foundation for long-term success for everyone involved. Therefore, your school counselor will do everything that they can to make sure that you graduate with a degree that will suit your future career goals and aspirations.

Hope this was Helpful Mochi.

Doc recommends the following next steps:

Don’t let anyone crush your dreams, keep in mind there is a huge difference between a childhood dream and a dream job.
Do what you love, don’t let anyone jeopardize your career choices, including yourself.
Don’t rely on fate for your career. Professional success is about putting yourself in a position to create opportunities.
Do what you have to do to determine what type of job will make you feel happy and fulfilled.
Thank you comment icon Amazing answer Jim! Couldn't agree more! Susana Blanco
Thank you comment icon Your Welcome Mochi, It was my Pleasure. Nothing is impossible, the word itself says “I’m possible.” Doc Frick
Thank you comment icon Its really good to start listing your strengths and interests so you can choose your career. I am really happy that you started this discussion, it will inspire so many other kids. Shobhit Agrawal
Thank you comment icon Great answer Jeremy Steinhaus
Thank you comment icon Thank You Jeremy. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” — Mahatma Gandhi Doc Frick
7
3

Jim’s Answer

There are a multitude of answers for this question, most folks would say the old fashioned, "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." However, as a millennial myself, my truth was that i found myself working in a field completely unrelated to my schooling, due to the small amount of jobs available in my area. I would say if you are willing to move around the country, then yes follow you passion and chase the job you want to do wherever it may land you. If you want to stay near home i would do research into the largest employers in your area, what kind of work they do and what, within these businesses, may interest you personally. The good news is if you find yourself with steady work in a field that may not spark a passion in you, you can work towards your dream goals through online schooling and training while earning a livable wage.
3
3

Mochi,

You have received a lot of good advice from some highly educated and intelligent people with real life experience. As a parent of two collage grads doing well, I will talk about your parents. I'm sure they are trying their best to look out for your interest, there are no rules about choosing a major for college other than declaring a major by your 3rd year, and yes it could change one or more times. It sounds to me more like your parents would like you to have goals. That is a great idea because it gives you something to aim at or a direction to go in. It's easier to focus on getting a goal rather than being aimless and feeling anxious, and drifting without clear goals. Just going into the 6th grade, as stated before doesn't give you enough life experience to know all that will be available to you. So make smaller goals that will ready you for a career. That would include taking classes that challenge you and that will open up more opportunities for different colleges. In doing so, by the time you finish High School, you will most likely know what areas interest you (you can have more than one). So, thank you parents for being interested in your future and let them know you will need a little more life experience and information before you can make such a big decision.

Until then, do well.

John
3
2

Kevin’s Answer

I think you are to young to have to make life decisions on school and career yet!

I would normally recommend taking aptitude test to help determine your interest, which may help you in determining what careers maybe of interest to you but I think you are probably still a little too young for the test to be of value to you!

you're still growing, developing your interest

I would recommend reading, reading everything that interest you
read different types of books, magazines, continue to grow and learn

when you are older 15 and then again right before you enter college take the aptitude test see if they give you insight in to your interest and potential career interest
2
2

Malisa’s Answer

Your father may mean well however a career choice at this stage may be a bit premature. However, you should start to notice if you are interested in more science (including medical), the arts or literature. This will help you with future class selection and thus career selection. Please don't over think it at this stage. Enjoy 6th grade and being your age - don't try and grow up too soon.
2
2

Brett’s Answer

Hello,
I will try to be as helpful as possible. I know it can seem a lot when a parent is asking for an answer you may not have. You are in my opinion a little young to determine now what you will do for the rest of your life. However that being said does not mean you cannot dream! Are there any things that you really enjoy? Space or nature those may be things you would look into like science/math/engineering. Or do you like to help your friends at school you may want to be a nurse/doctor/police or fire person. These might be some things to think about and that you can tell your dad you are interested in. I would also recommend talking to your dad and letting him know you don't know what you want to do yet and that what you give him for an answer today is almost guaranteed to change in 10 years or more. You are young and have a long way to go to figure out what is best for you! Live life, be happy and enjoy being young while you can! We all grow up too quickly! Don't forget to Dream, and Dream Big! As you get older you can determine what you want to do, but for now enjoy all the things that being a kid has to offer! Best of luck!
2
1

Mark’s Answer

Hi Mochi,

I'm sure your Dad has good intentions, but it is way too early for you to be concerned about selecting a career. Learn as much as you can in school and your other activities. You will develop interests and skills that over time may direct you toward careers you will find enjoyable and rewarding.

Best wishes!

Mark
1
1

Trent’s Answer

Hi Mochi,
Right now you have plenty of time to decide what you want to do. Many people I knew I grew up with did not have any idea what they wanted to be until we were juniors in high school. At this time you should be focusing on what you enjoy whether it be a subject in school, or a hobby or sport. Dig deeper into what you like and that should give you some ideas what career to eventually choose.
1
1

Mac’s Answer

My gut feeling is that you might be too young to determine your career - it's difficult to know and make sure what you really want yourself to do as a career. Life can be so different and there is a whole world out there for you to explore. But, nevertheless, I think finding a college is a good idea - my experience told me that it can open the eyes to have a broader view, which is sometimes even more important than what you will learn.
1
1

Devron’s Answer

Mochi, good afternoon. Before I started college, I went to the public library and found a book on careers that would be in high demand for the next 20 years. Then i paired the careers that would be in high demand with my own personal likes and dislikes. Keep in mind that you may want to consider a career that can support the quality of life that you prefer. Also consider whether or not you need an advance degree such as an MBA, JD etc.

Devron recommends the following next steps:

Make a list of careers that interest you
Ask family about their likes and dislikes regarding their careers
Consider the compensation
1
1

Jason’s Answer

Sometimes it takes time to choose the career that is right for you, I didn't find mine until 2009 when I started with my current company. Prior to that, I was in the Military and tried a couple different paths after exiting. In some cases the right career takes time before it presents itself.
1
1

Racheal’s Answer

Hi Mochi,

I think it is great to be thinking about possible directions you could go in with your future career but I don't think it is critical to get it all figured out just yet! Figure out what interests you and start looking into careers that involve those things. It is never too early to start researching. If it is closer to time for you to go to college and you still don't know what career path is right for you that is OK too. Find a college with a broad array of majors and take the first year or two to get your core classes done and see if anything in those interests you. Even if you do decide on a major at the beginning, don't be afraid to change it if it isn't feeling right! Everyone's path is different so do what works for you and you will figure out in the end.
1
1

javier’s Answer

This is always a difficult question at any age.
First advise will be if you are passionate about a specific subject or activity, that is a first sign of where to go. If you do not have yet something that you are passionate, identify other things you are good at, things that move you and make you feel good.
Be patient, life will always present an opportunity and the "aha" or 'wow" moment will emerge.
Explore options, talk with people that just finished their studies, ask as many questions as you can.
What motivated them? why they like it? how they enoy it as part of their day to day life?.
In today's world and with technology advances, many carrers will be created, new jobs that do not exist now, will emerge.
Many adults who thought their careers were going to be done forever, have been forced to reinvent or with the new advances found their "aha" moment, and made the switch for better opportunities.
Life is a delicate balance, career, studies, family, personal time, travel, etc., but always adapt.
1
1

Demetrio’s Answer

Hi Mochi,

What makes all of us interesting is our personalities, the way we do things and the way we think, while being respectful of others. This also makes us different so that we can share ideas and work and play with others. If we were all the same and liked the same things, life would be a little boring. The most important outlook is to understand your parents as they care about you and your well-being. They want the best for you.

To start thinking about what you might want to be, what you might study and what college to go to, is not a bad thing. It actually brings up your interests. People, Parents, friends all ask, so, "What are you going to do for work, what College will you attend." Yes. It does seem overwhelming. Listen to it and understand it is part of everything.

A resolution is as simple as observing certain professions and tying your interests with those professions. Keep in mind that the way things have been done or the way work has been planned out is changing. You are already part of many changes, today. You are learning how to adapt to change and this is really important. Have fun and, at same time, explore your interests whether it is you like to read or figure things out. You might like to paint or, even, work with the computer. Advertising, marketing or customer service. A really important phrase I grew up with stated," If you do what you love, you'll never consider it Work." Make sure you enjoy exploring your interests ad observe how other people do things and, most of all, have fun and ask your parents questions about certain interests.
1
0

Gary’s Answer

While it’s good to have a career path in mind, as you grow-up, learn and change so will your career interests. When I was your age I wanted to be a veterinarian, then a professional athlete, and a lawyer. I ended up running social responsibility for a bank, helping to make sure we are taking care of all our communities and stakeholders. My advice is to find a career that inspires you, that way you can get up everyday and love what you do. Dream big, work hard and align your personal interests and passion with your profession.
0
0

Benson’s Answer

You are lucky. You have a great father. You can think.What is your passion? You can try to ask your classmates to take feedback, because you have to understand yourself first. After you got the faceback, you need to reflect. Those are more suitable for you.Reflection is very important to you.Please remember your passion.
0