What kind of work do environmental lawyers do?

2

I'm thinking about going into environmental law because I love English and I'm passionate about sustainability and the environment, but I don't know a lot about what kind of work it involves. Are there different types of environmental lawyers? Does it involve a lot of writing and editing? Are they typically involved in policymaking?
#july20 #environment #science #environmental-science #law #lawyers #environmental-law #sustainability #writing #english

2

Henry’s Answer

0
Hi Amanda,

I know of a few peers who ultimately working with environmental law and would say that in general, becoming an environmental lawyer is more of a specialization rather than an entirely independent field of practice. For example, environmental issues come up all the time in real estate transactions and one portion of the work involved determining if it's safe to build residential property in an area where, say, there used to be a chemical plant or dumping ground in the distant past. I also know someone who became a "water" lawyer handling farmer river usage rights, which people take a lot more seriously than you'd expect.

Regardless of the specific subset of environmental law, knowing how to draft letters and review documents is a staple part of lawyering and having those skills early is a great boon.

I would say there are two paths to policy making. With enough time and experience in the field, the prospect of being in the position to take on a novel matter comes up from time to time and this could be a place where you could change existing policy. The other path would be to work towards becoming a legislative assistant in the state you want to practice in.

Hope that helps,
Henry

0

Joseph’s Answer

0
Amanda, it on the situation but as a lawyer, your language skills have to be sharp as you become people's spokesman. I am aware that you can pursue environmental law and later switch to any of the aspects.
Hi Joseph. thank you for taking the time to answer a part of this question. Can you also share more information on what kind of work environmental lawyers do? Gurpreet Lally Translate
0