Is a business management class worth it?

Im in eighth grade and I want to be a copywriter (in advertising). Right now applications for high school are open. My local high school offers some good programs and has a lot of departments for kids wanting to pursue a career in business, technology and media arts. I wanted to know if a business management program would help with copywriting.
#advertising #business #communications #high-school-students #career

9

Maria’s Answer

Definitely! Business management is a critical skill to learn especially before starting a career as it will help you see how any one role can contribute to the organization as a whole.

Thank you. g L.

1

James’s Answer

Absolutely. No matter what line of career you will have in the future, you will likely to be part of an organized work structure (physical or virtual). If you understand what functions various business organizations serve, how to orient yourself in the hierarchy, how to build relationship along and across chains of command, you will find kicking off your career much less stressful. Plus, like Jason said, the same lesson will costs you a lot more down the road.

Thank you! g L.

1

Judi’s Answer

Yes definitely study business as a compliment to your advertising education!

One of the most important things you need to know while working in mass communications, especially advertising, is perspective. You need to understand how others will react to the work you are editing or producing yourself. You need to understand how your work can positively or negatively impact a business’ profitability and how business markets and target marketing works. Do as much as you can to get personal experience about different business practices, industries, cultures and people.

Having a strong business perspective will serve you well in mass communications and advertising.

Thank you. g L.

0

Don’s Answer

Absolutely. Here's why:

The role of any copywriter (or a corporate communications professional, which is another option I'd recommend you look into) is to make the important interesting. It's hard to do that if you don't understand what's important, and why.

That's why it's important to be as well-rounded as you can -- that breadth of knowledge helps make you a far better writer across the many different industries you might find yourself working in over the years to come. Core business knowledge cuts across those industries, and will help give you the foundational knowledge you need so you aren't playing catch-up and wasting time asking the basics.

0

Waleed’s Answer

As a business major myself, I know that business management classes would definitely help you. In particular, they will provide you with professional development training (building a resume, interview skills, etc.). A business management class could also give you the skills to manage your own advertising business in the future.

Thank you very much. g L.

0

Jason’s Answer

The short answer- YES
The long answer- I worked in the field of mental health for many years before pursuing an MBA. The applications of any business class at any level has a universal application to all aspects of life. Taking a business management course will only teach you aspects of management that can help a career or company. Its also much better to take these types of courses earlier in life when they available to you without the associated cost. For example a single class in my MBA program was roughly $3,000. for one class.
Go for it.

That's a lot of money, more than my parents can afford. Thanks for the insight. g L.

It sure is, but I am talking about graduate school- that's typically on you to go for. But that is what loans are for. I specifically got it paid for by my current employer which is typical when you work for a large organization. Jason Rechtman, MA, MBA, LPC

0

Winford’s Answer

Yes. An understanding of business is complimentary to becoming a copywriter. Specific knowledge of the industry you will support is also helpful when it comes to industry terms and references. There are many “Get it done fast “ courses online that address entry level skills. I’m not promoting or rejecting that path but understanding business is a foundational need for a variety of professional career paths. With copywriting , there are lawyers that specialize In this subject to defend and protect company assets. So, from a career developmental perspective there are opportunities in corporate law relative to copyrights.

Thank you. g L.

0