What would you consider as a major with potential to become the most essential for businesses?

Updated Madison, Wisconsin

I am planning to major in Computer Science for my first year of college next fall but looking for any other majors that could affect businesses in the near future. #computer-science #computer-software #business #college-major #computer-programming #computer-hardware #computer-networking #computer-security

Alyssa’s Answer

Updated Ocala, Florida

Having worked in data analytics for the last 20 years, I agree completely. Many professional articles have been written regarding the need to train MBA's in business intelligence and I have seen several start ups focusing on training the skill. That being said, build your career for what interests you.

I understand. I also believe I should pursue a career in my interest but I still want to be able to take advantage of the field of degree I earn. Thank you for the response!

Kathy’s Answer

Majors in Computer Science / Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Big Data / Data Science, Statistics, and Design (graphic design, GUI design, product design, etc) are all in high demand and will only grow in demand as more data is generated in this world and more beautiful & easy-to-use objects are appreciated & valued.

Great! Thank you for the response!

Joanne’s Answer

Updated Montclair, New Jersey

I'd go for business intelligence - data analytics and security to be the higher needs of current businesses.

Oh okay. I will add data analytics and security as a consideration in college degree. Thank you for the response!

bridget’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas

Hi Namito: You're right on -- Computer science is indeed the top major; although not the only one!

A different business role is dealing with all of the data supplied by all of the information technology. Consider the role of a Market Research Analyst. Generating information is useless unless insights and actions can be derived from the output.

Keep considering options...you're asking the right questions!

Kind regards,

Bridget

That is great! I will keep researching and commit myself to work harder as I pursue my career in Computer Science. I will consider the tole of a market research analyst as well. Thank you for your response!