Thompson B.

56

1

Is proficiency in Java enough to get you placed in good company?

I'm a graduate student(MS Computer Science) and I'm gonna be graduating in a year and a half and I wanted to know if there is any skill that I must have besides Java. I would like to know what are the other programming languages/skills that any employer can expect from a potential employee with a masters degree. #computer-software #career #software #software-development #development #java #android #personal-development #career-details #job-application

1 comment Click to expand

Proficiency in Java, huh? It's a great start. But, with respect, you should be prepared to tell your interviewers what you've done with it.

These days, lots of Java development is for "line-of-business" applications. Many of them are developed in-house for companies who sell products other than software. Those software projects often use database management systems along with Java. So, you might be wise to get yourself some JDBC and SQL chops to go with your Java skills for those jobs. Those projects are all about turning the company's data into useful actionable insights. So you need to be able to get to the company's data. SQL.

Android phone apps, at least some of them, are written in Java. Again, there are Android-specific skills you can add to Java to prepare for those jobs. Phone apps are about the user experience.

Lots of web server apps are written in Java. In Silicon Valley those apps are starting to show their age. So if you want to work for a cutting-edge Sili Valley outfit, getting a little experience with Javascript (both server-side in node.js and browser-side) might be helpful. Ditto for Python.

Over the span of your career, you can expect the programming language you use to change completely three or four times. So, whatever you do, don't decide you're a Java guy. Decide you're a skilled programmer who's capable of working with a variety of tools, and continually learning new tools.

Last updated Feb 27 '17 at 09:37

1 comment

Hi Thompson!

You asked a very important question!

The application of Computer Science is very broad with many different applications each having its own requirements and specifications.

Here are some exercises that might help you to determine a focus that might be appropriate for you: https://www.themuse.com/advice/14-free-personality-tests-thatll-help-you-figure-yourself-out

To get further information and to follow up on what you found out about yourself in the exercises, here are some next steps: - talk to you academic adviser to arrange to participate in coop, intern, shadowing, and volunteer programs that will allow you to become involved with people in various applications of computer science to see what they do, how they got there, what advice they have, and how you feel about it - talk to the head of alumni relations at your school to arrange to meet and visit graduates in your area of interest to learn from them - talk to your academic adviser and the reference librarian at your local library to locate and attend meetings of organizations to which professionals belong so you can mix and mingle and learn more.

Selecting a career area is like buying a pair of shoes. They may look great, but you need to try them on and wear them for a while to determine proper fit and comfort.

Here are some good tips on gaining valuable information and creating helpful relationships: http://www.wikihow.com/Network https://www.themuse.com/advice/nonawkward-ways-to-start-and-end-networking-conversations https://www.themuse.com/advice/4-questions-to-ask-your-network-besides-can-you-get-me-a-job?ref=carousel-slide-1 https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-job-search-strategy-thatll-make-you-15-times-more-likely-to-be-hired

Networking is very important. People are waiting to help you. All you need to do is ask.

Let me know if and how this might be of help. Keep me informed. I would like to follow your progress.

Last updated Feb 27 '17 at 17:19

2 comments

Do you want to code, or do something else? If you're looking at software development, if you're proficient in one language you should be able to pick up others pretty easily. I would advise looking at job postings and seeing what is hot right now. Languages come and go! That said, if I were hiring, I would expect a software developer with an MS to be fluent in one language, but also have conversant in others. I would also expect a general knowledge of other areas of the field. You should have basic knowledge about project management, hardware, operating systems, basic UI design, databases, etc.

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• Since you have 18 months until you graduate, I would also explore other specialties while you have the opportunity. Search around on the web and look at other job titles and see if any seem to particularly interest you and/or fit your personality. Software development is not the only avenue to have a good career.
Last updated Sep 15 '17 at 07:33

Schools Add a schools