8

How did you get into your current job? what is your story? did you know you wanted to do that? what was your struggle?

I just want to know your story and get a lesson or be inspired.

8

0

Julie’s Answer

I work in Learning and Development- helping colleagues in my organisation gain the skills they need to do their job and progress their careers. I started out studying science at university but didn’t like working AS a scientist- laboratory work was too detailed for me. I work in science based industries so it’s still technical but I get to work with scientists rather than as one.

Julie recommends the following next steps:

Try a free online assessment to understand your strengths and preferences - viacharacter.org is great
0
0

Paloma’s Answer

I work at Internal Audit in a Financial Services Global Company and I am part of a mobility program (I was relocated from Mexico City to Budapest) - I did not know I wanted to do auditing specifically, but certainly, since I was on high school, I new I was always exiting about two things: 1 - getting in touch w/different people around the globe and 2 - business and finance subjects . So, now I found myself working in a global company, interacting w/colleagues from all different countries and applying day2day what I learnt at school. My advice would be to pay attention on what you feel passionate about and think how this can be translated into abilities/capabilities that might trigger where you would find a great fit for your career path.
0
0

Joseph’s Answer

Well, that's a few different questions wrapped into one.

How I got my current job is the simplest part - this is my 3rd or 4th role in my field which was a fairly easy process - once I realised it was time to move on from my previous role, I made applications to similar slightly more senior roles in similar organisations, got a few interviews, which narrowed down to a couple of offers, and I accepted the best offer. Some back and forth of paperwork later, I'd got the job. However, that process being so simple is a result of the recognition of the knowledge and experience I've gained from my past studies and previous jobs.

In terms of that broader story, when I was much younger I didn't really know what I wanted to do, but there were a few areas I knew I was interested in. I've got an interests in aviation, from military jets through to hot-air balloons, and had various thoughts about that. I think I'd ruled out being a commercial pilot due to concerns about the costs of lessons and getting a pilots license, but considered a career in the air force for a while, either as aircrew or a technical trade like engineering or air traffic control. I joined the Air Cadets, and although I had a lot of great experiences, I found the military attitude to drill, discipline, physical fitness and especially obedience without questioning to be too much for me, especially considering some of my neurodivergent traits (autistic spectrum). I'm also interested in space and the universe, and did very well in physics and maths at school, so still not being sure about an exact career, applied to university to study astrophysics. Through university, I further developed a passion for physics, but eventually found that some of the abstract astrophysics was a bit much for me, and didn't get the best grade. Although by that point I'd have loved to have continued into a career in astrophysics, my result wasn't enough to get me into a lot of places and if I tried to improve that grade with further astrophysics study like a PhD, I figured I'd probably struggle academically, so after a lot of thought, I realised I also enjoyed nuclear and particle physics and did reasonably well in those sorts of modules, so took a Masters in nuclear physics, hoping to get into working on something like the LHC. That extra study broadened my horizons to a range of areas in nuclear physics I really enjoyed, and focused my attention on the nuclear industry, but after graduating, I found a lot of jobs I wanted still turned me down, either as a result of my low undergraduate grade, my lack of work experience, or due to through things relating to my neuro-atypical condition. I spent a long time applying for jobs in my field and was getting frustrated with rejection after rejection, especially after spending time tailor-writing and tweaking CVs, cover letters and application forms for the jobs I really wanted. Eventually, one application was successful, though, and that got me started working in a lab writing test reports about radioactivity measurements, and focused my future career path into a number of other radiation measurement jobs as I moved from job to job over the years. I guess from story that you can conclude my main struggles were getting that first job with no experience, and also finding a role and employer that is accepting of me and my neurodiverse character.
0
0

Anthony’s Answer

Please, note the following concerning my current job :-
1. Vision of the type of job.
2. My interest and KNOWLEDGE in the job.
3. Consideration of the EXPERIENCE and ABILITY to perform the various duties within the job.
4. Application for the job, coupled with PATIENCE. ( For example, online application).

My best wishes to you.
0
0

Laurie’s Answer

It is interesting that you asked about a journey to my career and if I always knew I wanted this career. All while I was growing up, I knew I wanted to be a teacher and currently I am in banking, reviewing regulations and writing policies. I went to college, received my teaching certification and taught school for two years. I learned after two years that this wasn't something that I was as passionate about as I thought. So i decided to try many opportunities to see what I liked most. I always loved math and being with people so I began my career working in a bank. The more I learned about the banking industry the more intrigued I became. I have worked my way up to a career that challenges me and makes me happy every day.
0
0

Chloe’s Answer

When I was in college, I had no idea what I wanted to be. I just studied the subjects that I enjoyed and that was it.

I knew that I wanted to study English at university but I didn't want to become a writer or a teacher which seemed to be the only option at the time. I looked at my soft skills (just general things that you're good at) and I realised that I was creative, communicative, proactive but also analytical and happy to handle data.

I was fortunate enough to be able to try out a couple of unpaid internships and discovered that marketing was something that I enjoyed and tended to be good at. So I stuck with it.

Every company needs marketing, so I was able to find myself in an industry that I was passionate about, and stay there. Best of luck!

Chloe recommends the following next steps:

Think about your soft skills
Stick with that you love and enjoy
Get experience where you can
Don't be afraid to ask
0