If i want to be a lawyer, what should i major in once i get into college?

I'm considering to be a lawyer when I grow up, but I don't really know what to major in once I'm in college. I heard that you're supposed to major in political science and philosophy but I don't know what's it's about. I'm very interested in criminology and criminal justice, just criminals in general. I also think of forensic psychologist and criminal profiler when it comes to my dream jobs, I like to study human behavior too.But from my opinion, a forensic psychologist just take too much studying but not much respect and power ( I'm still a kid so, please don't get offended) and you need to be an FBI agent to be a criminal profiler, It's not that I have something wrong with being an FBI agent but you have to go through Quantico and you have to be extremely fit. And I'm gonna move to America in a few years so about American citizen can only apply to be in Quantico is taken care of but help I'm so confused. #law #criminal-law #criminal-justice #fbi-agent #psychology #criminology #career-details

Katie’s Answer

Hi Camille, Philosophy and political science are both pretty traditional pathways to law school, however, at our university there are many students from other majors who successfully pursue law after graduation. It sounds like you might have an interest in psychology, which would be useful in law. Law school admissions will look at your LSAT scores, as well as any experience you have related to law. Therefore, you could pursue one or more internships while in school, regardless of major. I would recommend when starting college to take an exploratory course in some of your areas of interest to see what sticks (usually you do not need to select a major your first year as there are other classes that are required). Additionally, you might consider using a website like Onetonline to research specific career paths (salaries, job outlooks, educational requirements, etc.) .
Thank you so much for answering to my question so quickly! I'm still very young so I'm definitely not attending college right away. But I don't understand philosophy and political sciences, it's not that I don't know the definition of it, but I don't understand how it's useful or what we have to learn in it. Can you please answer? If it doesn't mind you of course, thank you so much anyway!
You are welcome! Briefly, the study of philosophy helps you learn different ways of thinking, how to analyze/develop arguments, and how to communicate effectively. Political science teaches you the same skills but also focuses on teaching political systems and behavior.
Historically, colleges were designed more for liberal arts degrees- to give you broad understanding of bodies of historical and modern thought. Philosophy and Political Science are examples of such majors; philosophy covers a lot of ancient theory on which modern laws are built and political science covers many of those modern laws and systems of government. I would recommend choosing any undergraduate major that could complement the type of law you might want to practice but leave yourself some room- Environmental lawyers may major in Biology in undergrad for example, but they are then highly specialized. Psychology could be great for criminal law if you see yourself as a prosecutor. If you see yourself as a defender, you may also consider human ecology. Internships matter too!
Thank you! I'm interested in criminals and how their minds work and why they commuted the crime! So is Criminology useful to major in if I wanna be a lawyer?
You'll want to look at the individual courses offered in the Criminology degree, which will vary from one college to the next. I've seen some that focus more on the organization and management of the prison systems, which is not what you would want. I think Psychology would work better for you as far as learning the ways the human mind works (or malfunctions).

Hi Camille! In reading the 3 questions you've posted, I've noticed a recurrent comment about not being sure about being able to make it through Quantico. In my travels through life, I've noticed that just about everything I've wanted to do has had that one element that was designed to keep me away. And I've learned that when confronted with these situations, we must find a way to get beyond the obstacle. It does not matter if you go through it, over it, around it, or under it, just get to the other side! An example: "yes, I'd really love to do that job, but it requires public speaking. . . ." I never imagined I'd be doing public speaking on a regular basis, and, that I'd actually come to enjoy it! If you need to be physically fit for the job that you want, then, the challenge you face, is to get physically fit! You obviously have a lot of self-discipline, speaking so many languages! So, simply apply that self-discipline to an exercise program! Keep asking the good questions! Kim
Oh thank you so much! Your comment made my day!