Igor A.’s Avatar

Igor A.

181

1

Which skills do I need to work in management

I'm thinking about having a career in management, specially in the communication industry. I enjoy looking the big picture, organizing work, and looking for people rather than looking. My aim is to have the opportunity to work in a big company like Verizon, AT&T. Frankly I'm pretty shy when it comes to speaking to large audiences, but I think I can work in that.

Which skills are needed to be successful in a big organization like those?

#verizon #communications #management #project-management

checkmark

Best of the Village

Hi Igor,

I have met many different managers during my career so far, and when I think about describing a manager, I think about the two big jobs of a manager. The first is managing what ever part of the business they are supposed to manage (the work, the project, or the product), making sure it is successful and achieves the desired goals and result. You already listed good skills to have from that perspective, including looking at the big picture, being about to spot potential risks proactively, and being highly organized. A good manager needs to be able to communicate both to their team and up to leadership and to sometimes have hard conversations. They need to be able to admit when something is going wrong, but be able to communicate how it will be fixed. There is a brutal juggling game a manager has to participate in, balancing the company's goals, their boss's goals, their team's goals, and their own goals, because most times, all those goals aren't the same. The manager's job is to make them all align and keep everyone happy. Sometimes managers do need to present in front of a large group. No one honestly is not a little nervous before presenting, but it is one of those skills that you can practice. I suggest getting someone you trust and practice presenting to them. Present on something you know well and ask for advice on how to do better. There are a number of resources online about presenting with tips and tricks you can use.

The second big job of a manager is to manage their people. All the managers I have liked always genuinely cared about me as a professional and as a person. They would remember my boyfriend's name, remember my birthday, ask about how my weekend was, etc. They would ask for feedback on how they were doing and what they could do better, and actually listen and change accordingly. They would get down into the trenches with us on a regular basis and never threw us under the bus even if we had made the mistake. They were all people I wanted to be friends with and work very hard to not disappoint. Their actions inspired loyalty and dedication, not fear.

So with all that said, a good manager needs to be a likable person, honest, a good communicator, a genuinely caring person, a referee, highly organized, articulate, firm but not bossy, proactive, and willing to listen and act on constructive criticism. Now most of this can't be put on a resume, but leadership roles can and will help you hone and refine these skills. Determine the type of manager you want to be and then just practice.

Last updated Feb 14 at 10:20
A good manager will have skills across all functions of the organization, regardless of the department they are in. Skills in HR, accounting, legal, operations and project management are key. While detailed knowledge is not necessary, a good working knowledge is key. This will allow a manager to look at the bigger picture of what is best for the corporation and make decisions for the team based on that vision. I have worked for a major communications company for 17 years and all of my great managers have had this overall knowledge. Secondary to this is good people skills. Learning how to talk to people and how to listen to them across various personality types is key. How you converse with person A on your team can be and will be totally different with how you converse with person B. Most management courses of study will care for this training and if not there are third party vendors (such as Dale Carnegie) that provide skillsets to make you a better manager and a better person in general.
Last updated Nov 17 '17 at 16:17
Management is about business and people. Two key skills that will help you with both is active listening. The ability to truly be able to listen, acknowledge and understand the message your team is trying to tell you. As a manager your team must feel like you truly are listening and responding to their needs. You cannot help solve problems are build effective teams if you do not ACTIVELY listen to your team. Another important skill ironically is being an effective communicator. Good communication breaks down barriers created by having such a diverse team. It also reduces the amount of errors and increases productivity. To be honest active listening and effective communication go hand and hand. Becoming an active listeners makes your team feel like you are a personably person and it makes them want to work even harder for you. Being an effective communicator makes your team clearly be able to achieve the overall business objectives.
Last updated Feb 22 at 23:22

Igor!

To work for a communications company like the few you listed, communication skills are most important; it's tough to work in a customer service industry if you're scared to talk to people. I used to be VERY introverted when I was younger; retail and sales taught me the communications skills I needed. Apart from your ability to talk to people, you'll learn most about the tech industry with some training and self development. Use apps like Engadget and TechCrunch to try to stay current, potential employers will like to hear that you are a self sufficient learner. Hope this helps.

Last updated Aug 28 at 19:24

You need to have a willingness to improve and develop others. Great leaders are those who care and are passionate about others success. Great leaders possess the skills necessary to gain trust and get others to follow their lead. Great leaders believe in the contributions of a team and understand that everyone brings something to the table, its up to us to listen. Communication and transparency are also great keys to success in leadership.

Last updated Aug 14 at 21:52

I have been in sales management for 34 years and absolutely love it! The top things that I have learned and developed are enthusiasm, being a good teacher, helping others to become successful and genuinely caring about the folks that are working with me. You of course need to have product knowledge and learn the technology that you are working with as well. You also need to stay on top of and adapt to change with an open mind! At the end of the day, I not only measure success by what I've accomplished but what my people have as well!

Last updated Aug 21 at 19:51

Working in management is overall the same for any conpany. Being in management is all about have good communication and leading by exampe. Make sure you are willing and open to other's ideas, no matter if they are other managerment, upper management, or employees of yours. You all our on one team and work towards and achieve your goals together!

Last updated Aug 21 at 19:22

What needs to be considered is what type of management you’re interested in pursuing. If wanting to manage teams (people), effective communication, innovative thinking and partnering skills are needed. There are many webinars that elaborate on each of these topics; along with many other suggested management skill sets.

Last updated Aug 21 at 19:38

People skills are the most important in my opinion. No matter the industry, your direct reports are your customers. Building relationships with them and earning their trust is critical to their success and the success of your business.

Last updated Aug 21 at 19:32

Being able to lead and be a leader by investing into your employees and peers. Someone who is passionate , strong willed, not afraid to fail. There is a difference from managing someone and leading someone and empowering others, engaging your reports and learning how unique each individual is and having the emotion intelligence to adapt is important .

Last updated Aug 14 at 19:48

Hi there. I am a supervisor with Verizon, and I can give you some tips! Don't let your shyness get in the way! I am pretty shy as well, but I am doing something that I love so that trumps everything else. We have a culture of fun and engagement, and if you are interested in going this route, I would recommend reading a couple of books to give you some insight into management. "Fearless Leader" by Chris Baron really gave me a new way to approach leadership. "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. The qualities that have made me successful in leadership are extreme ownership, focus, being personable, and I love people. If you have the same qualities and drive, you can definitely be a leader. A strong technical background will also allow you to stay a step ahead. I hope this helps you on your journey!

Last updated Aug 15 at 18:46

One of the biggest things you need to be in management is a strong leader. Always lead by example and be in the trenches with your people. Never ask something of your people you wouldn't do yourself. Always remember we are all human and we are in it to win it together.

Last updated Aug 21 at 19:29