Career Questions tagged Laser Physics

Abigail’s Avatar
Abigail Apr 06 221 views

What's the difference between working in a lab and working in R&D for a company?

I'm graduating with my bachelor's degree in physics this May (yay!), and I learned that I loved working in the lab, performing experiments, doing computational analyses, drawing conclusions, etc. I'd love to work in a lab at some point but there seem to be a lot of entry barriers for physicists...

Abigail’s Avatar
Abigail Mar 26, 2021 472 views

Is it okay to cold email professors who I'd like to do graduate research with?

It's time to think about applying for graduate school! I want to email some professors to learn more about their research group and fields of study. Is that acceptable or might it count against me in the application process? #PhD #graduate-school #research #grad-school #applications #physics...

Abigail’s Avatar
Abigail Feb 23, 2021 293 views

I have an offer that expires before I get a final decision from other summer programs. What are my options and what should I do?

Good news: I've received an offer for a physics REU at the University of Arkansas! Bad news: I need to respond by Feb 26th, even though final decisions from other REUs, national labs, and NASA come in early March. What are my options? I've already asked if my application review could be...