Career Questions tagged Academia

Abby L.’s Avatar
Abby L. Mar 26 153 views

Is it okay to cold email professors who I'd like to do graduate research with?

It's time to think about applying for graduate school! I want to email some professors to learn more about their research group and fields of study. Is that acceptable or might it count against me in the application process? #phd #graduate-school #research #grad-school #applications #physics...

#academia #optics #laser-physics #particle-physics

Chloe T.’s Avatar
Chloe T. Jul 17, 2020 339 views
Hannah M.’s Avatar
Hannah M. May 06, 2020 219 views

Is it a good idea to go PhD program from professional master's program?

I am a graduate student in a professional school. I began the program envisioning being a product manager, but I realized that I wanted to be a scholar than working for a business. Do you think it is wise to pivot my career and throw the investment that I made at the professional school and...

#college #graduate-school #phd #academia

Madeleine W.’s Avatar
Madeleine W. Mar 18, 2018 416 views

What is the gender gap like in upper level sciences, first hand?

I am a female, high school senior considering a career path in upper level mathematics, academia and research. I am very concerned with underrepresentation of women and I would like to know of any first hand experiences. Researching online I find a lot of statistics, but I would like more. Has...

#science-phd #stemcareers #science #women-in-stem #phdbound #graduate-school #phd #mathematics #computer-science-phd #stem #academia #research #professor

Jessica H.’s Avatar
Jessica H. Jan 21, 2018 343 views

How hard is it to find short-term work at a university?

I'm interested in working at a university after graduating (as a researcher and a professor), but I'm still unsure if I want to do that for the rest of my life or settle down in one place. Are there a lot of jobs for people who only want to teach for a limited time? Or do universities generally...

#academia #university-teaching

Hadi D.’s Avatar
Hadi D. Feb 15, 2017 653 views

What should be done to have a PhD in International Trade area?

I consider working as an academic. In this regard, I have a bachelor degree of International Trade and Logistic. I need some suggestion about it. #phd #logistics #academia #international-trade #logistics...

#academic

Amina D.’s Avatar
Amina D. Jun 23, 2016 419 views

How is the working environment in academia like?

For example, becoming a professor at university or working with a research team at a lab. Scientific research is something that I am really interested in, but is it a flexible position? Can I also do something in industry as well?...

#academia

Landon T.’s Avatar
Landon T. May 06, 2016 673 views

College graduates; what do you wish you had known about college life when you were a freshman?

I've been getting set up to go college this spring (choosing dorms, FAFSA, etc.), but I still retain some concerns about life on campus. Specifically, I'm interested in what the consensus is regarding the ability of someone like myself, who has always had problems being social, to make friends...

#college #academia #friends