How do I begin to network with people?

Asked Richmond, California

I want to have people that I can branch out with and have solid relationships to begin my own business involving digital media and film by the time I finish college. I am currently a high school senior about to graduate in a couple months. I am planning on attending the New York Institute of Technology. I am determined to do everything I need to, to succeed in my career but I need information. #networking #newyork #film #technology #success #relationships

Yeskendir (Alex)’s Answer

Updated Boston, Massachusetts

Hi Angelina!

While I have not majored in film and thus may not be the ideal respondent to this question, I have certainly networked in college in my own area of study: finance and accounting. Even though my major is different from yours, the concept of networking remains the same.

My advice would be to establish good connections with people in your college class majoring in digital media and film. You will be surprised by how these people will be strong points of contact if you ever start your own business.

Another opportunity to expand your network would be to become a member of a student club that focuses on film, technology, and digital media. It will present you with plenty opportunity to establish connections with like-minded individuals. They too can be a great source of information for finding other opportunities to meet other talented people in the industry.

Getting an internship in the area of interest, and networking with professionals there will also be a good way to build your network.

Finally, just asking people who you have met that share same interests with you about how they went about networking will further help you find the right people.

Thank you for the help. Is it difficult to find a good internship?
I do not know how it is for what you are planning to study, but I would say it is not easy either. However, if you succeed in classes, focus on networking, and stay active in your college community by being in leaderships roles in classes, clubs, and etc. you will be a desired candidate for a job! Short answer, you have to prepare yourself and find out at the university career center what employers hire the most from that school. Each school has its own set of employers that they work closely with that hire from the college.

Lindsay’s Answer

Here are a few tips for in-person networking. Check out Eventbrite and Event Calendars in your area across industry-sectors you are interested in. Often times you'll find a number of these are free. I find that if I go it alone I'm more likely to connect with others. If you bring a friend it's easy and comfortable to stick with them and avoid conversing with others. That said, if you really want to bring a friend, make it a point to split up. Come prepared with a few ice-breakers and think about your own elevator pitch of who you are (this can be personal or professional). One ice-breaker that always works, "How did you hear about this event?" or another version, "Why did you decide to join today?" It's a great way to get the conversation flowing. If you make a strong connection and want to stay in touch with this person in the future, grab a business card and reach out on LinkedIn. One caution though, don't just LinkedIn to add to your overall numbers or email just to email. Always have a valid business reason - even just to share an article that you might have a common interest in. Lastly, always stay positive. You never know how your paths might cross with these people you network with in the future. Have fun building your network!

Lindsay recommends the following next steps:

• Check out Eventbrite for free events in your area!