Victoria G.’s Avatar

Victoria G.

4

What are some tips when it comes to making a resume?

Asked Simpsonville, South Carolina

I am currently looking for internships in the accounting field. I have never made a resume and don't have any work experience so I am unsure of how to start and what to include in my first resume. I am also wondering what do employers look for in a resume. #resume #internship #job-application #business #job #accounting #finance

Your resume is a one page snapshot of personal, academic and professional experience. The following are the major things you'll like to show in your resume:

1. Name & Contact information

2. Summary (Not compulsory, but it can give a good overview of why they should hire you and what you you're looking to do)

3. Your education (Include your college, what you're studying, where you're studying, when you started to where you are now).

4. Skills (This is a rapid fire way to provide a list of skills you have, be it from education or from other activities - Languages, software you've used etc.)

5. Experience (This is the most important part of your resume. This can range from: paid work experience, volunteer experiences, college projects that can highlight or simulate paid work experience)

6. Activities (Not compulsory, this can be anything that could show you have that could show transferable skills or highlight other things that couldn't relate or connect to whoever is looking at it).

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• You can reach out to me personally for personalized advice if you'd like: irewoleccm.weebly.com
Last updated Dec 18 '18 at 01:39 PM

Make sure your resume is one page and presents a brief professional summary

name

address

phone

email

education

college

City, state

major/minor

degree

graduation month/year

GPA if over 3.0

Study abroad

work experience

title

company

city,state

from/to

responsibilities

Skills

computer software

profesional achievements

language proficiency

activities

sports

volunteer work

clubs

professional organizations

Last updated Dec 28 '18 at 02:10 AM
  1. Your resume reflects who YOU are and showcases your skills, accomplishments, and personality
  2. The resume is tailored to the position you are applying to.

I completely agree with what @Irewole has said in his previous answer but think that these two additional tips will set you apart from the crowd for whatever position you seek.

Last updated Dec 22 '18 at 01:41 AM

When building your resume', pair each bullet point with a detailed story highlighting your skills. For example, if you worked at a fast food restaurant, be able to speak to you experiences and skills developed. Also, don't be afraid to ask for others to take a look at your resume. An extra set of eyes to proofread is priceless.

Last updated Dec 28 '18 at 02:11 AM