What are the steps needed to be a UX designer?

Asked Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

From your experience and journey to a UX designer, what online resources & bootcamps you have used to get where you are right now?

Which bootcamps or online learning platforms you would recommend for a person w/o much prior knowledge in coding and programming language?

Thank you! #technology #computer #computer-science #design #computer-software #ux #industryprofessionals #userexperience #jobs #career #coaching #mentoring # #programming #uxdesign

Federico’s Answer

Updated San Jose, California

Sketch and InVision are two important tools in the UX space, but I recommend taking a look at Adobe XD that is pretty interesting. It's free and has a cool tutorial to get you started.

As Alwyn said above, don't forget that UX has a huge component of strategy: competitive analysis, ethnographic studies, usability & concept testing are some example of a typical, structured "discovery" phase that just a few UX designers can do. And if you don't like coding, this could be an interesting angle for you.

UX Strategy can extend to the definition of personas, journey maps. gap analysis, value props, user stories, briefs and functional requirements. If you're not sure how all these things come into play check this article I wrote and please let me know if it's helpful or if you have additional questions.

Federico recommends the following next steps:

• Learn how to use Adobe XD
  • Explore and understand the strategic side of UX
Thank you so much for sharing these info! I will definitely check them out!

Alwyn’s Answer

Updated Brockton, Massachusetts

Cindy, there are many flavors of UX; some UXers code while other do not. You do not need coding to be an active and contributing UX designer working on a team developing products and services. Experience is best learned by doing. Aside from taking course of online in human factors, I’d stay away from schools that offer to make you a fully competent UX designer (no prior experience required) in some short months. Read everything online at places like Medium and Smashing Magazine; connect with an experienced UX designer as a mentor; network with UXers through LinkedIn and Twitter; attend local, national and international conferences (if you can afford the latter). Remember that UX requires becoming the end user, having empathy for their pain points, providing them solutions that solve problems and that simplicity of interface, flow and user journeys is best and that ultimately requires insight through interviews research and data. Not dinging UXers that program, more power to them, they are gifted but concentrating on all the things i’ve listed while also keeping current on tools for wireframing, prototyping and gathering user specific data is a full time job. Be a master of one craft not two even if they are the progression in product development that duality may dilute your expertise. This has been my walk so I’m speaking from personal experience. Work at it hard and good luck!

Thank you for your detailed reply! I appreciate your insightful comment and sharing your personal journey in UX!
You are very welcome Cindy. Wish you the best of luck. Do connect professionally through LinkedIn as help is always an ask away!

Lyndsey’s Answer

Updated Portland, Oregon

I have hired a number of UX designers and am actually married to one as well. I have had success sourcing talent from General Assembly and heard their students recommend their program as well. As a hiring manager I am confident that GA students know enough to get started. After that I recommend getting involved in as many projects as you can - paid and unpaid. Just to get the experience.

Lori’s Answer

Updated Portland, Oregon

Hi Cindy: As others have mentioned, there are a lot of ways to be a UX designer. You may be more interested in visual design, you may want to code your own interfaces, or you may have more an aptitude for research and enjoy watching people use software so you can learn what they do and how their work could be easier. If you're not sure yet, I recommend reading a lot of articles about UX designer to get a sense for all the flavors. Early in my career, I learned about a company called User Interface Engineering (www.uie.com) that published articles, wrote books, and taught courses that helped people learn about UX design. Their work taught me a lot, and I was so inspired, I went to work there for a few years. I still refer to their work a lot, and suggest that you read through some of their articles to see what you can learn. Good luck! UX is a great career with tons of opportunities.

Lori recommends the following next steps:

• Read some articles at https://articles.uie.com/all/