What should I do in order to simplify my preference if I have several majors in mind that are very different?

5

As I explored more majors and explored all my interests and how I could pursue them, I settled on a couple which I was told is expected. The thing is my options are extremely varied and do not relate to each other at all which is now causing a problem as i'm choosing my classes for my future years. What I have in mind is either Cybersecurity or Digital Forensics, Forensics, Medicine and healthcare, or journalism. I extremely enjoy and excel in all of these majors' equivalent classes such as computer science, English, and Biology and also enjoy researching and learning about such ideas and participating in clubs or activities relating to them. Is there any major I should be considering which would include all and what are the pros and cons of each?
Thanks!!
#major #medicine #cybersecurity #journalism #english #biology #computer_science #undecided #university

5

Somil’s Answer

2
This is not an easy task, you will need to ask yourself some difficult questions and do a lot of research to arrive at a conclusion. There are couple of points you can think around to determine the correct direction for your career.

Passion
Which field you are most passionate about? Can you work day in and day out on a given task and not miss otherworldly pleasures. If yes, you arre headed in the right direction.

Skill
Even if you are passionate about a particular field, you may lack certain skills to excel in that area. Determine if you have the right set of skills to work in the field of your interest.

Details
The devil is in the details. A certain field may seem very interesting until you find out what actually it involves. The job of a robotics engineer seems very interesting. But when you find out the details you will see it requires understanding of material science, advanced mathematics and physics, you may or may not be interested to study those. Understanding your field of interest in depth will give you a clarity for taking decisions.

The boring tasks
Event the most interesting job that you are passionate about, will involve a lot of side tasks which may be monotonic/ uninteresting and difficult. Find out what those are for your field of interest. Talk to people in industry who have at least 5-10 years of experience. See if you could power through those uninteresting jobs to work on something you are passionate about.

Future Scope
Find out which field is going to boom in future and which may go obsolete. Again you need to talk to industry experts to get some understanding of where the industry is heading. Find out what all career options you have if you choose to study a particular subject. There are a lot of jobs that exist today which may get automated tomorrow and will not require human intervention. You may want to avoid such fields.
2

Alecia’s Answer

0
When I went to college, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to do Business Administration, Industrial Engineering, of Mathmatics Education - so I chose a quality school that had all 3 to give me flexibility. Here are my steps below...
But most importantly, remember that the most important part is getting a college degree. Many of us go in to careers in different fields and certainly don't know what the future holds - so must get some degree. Follow your passion - and your passion may change over time.

Alecia recommends the following next steps:

• Select a college that has the most of your preferred majors to give you options and flexibility to change your mind.
  • Look at the different curriculums with your counselor and try to take core classes that are synonymous among all of your top 3 preferred majors
  • Splash in some major specific classes to start to get a feel for if you like the degree - you can always count these as electives down the road
  • Give yourself some grace & flexibility - better to graduate at 4.5 years or 5 years and have given yourself time to explore - you can even get a minor
  • Don't put too much pressure on yourself - any degree is a good degree!
0

Brandon’s Answer

0
If you have the time available, I would try sitting in on the upper level classes that pertain to that major if you already haven’t and observe how your body language reacts towards each lecture to try to find a preference towards each major. Also what you can do is ask peers or advisors over a certain major and look to see if that’s the type of career track you want to commit yourself towards and if you really see yourself doing that kind of work. :)

Brandon recommends the following next steps:

• Map out degree plans for each major
  • Go on websites like Glassdoor for more outlook
  • Try to connect with more people within each industry
0

Bonnie’s Answer

0
Since you’re undecided I recommend you try the tech field which is very much in demand. I tried Udacity’s free online courses and next earned a Nanodegree online. You never know what you might be passionate about.

Bonnie recommends the following next steps:

• Visit Udacity.com and choose from their list of hundreds of free online courses
0