If I want to become a pediatrician, what classes should I take in highschool?

4

My name is Chastity V. and my goal in life is to become a pediatrician. I am doing research about pediatricians and have a lot of unanswered questions. I hope this website will help me--I hope you will be able to help me.

#pediatrician #doctor #pediatrics #medicine #pediatric-nursing

4

Julie’s Answer

0
Depending on your school, most schools have a dual enrollment which allows highschool students to complete their core classes while still in highschool. If start soon enough some students comes out with an associate degree. Good luck to you
0

Tosin’s Answer

0
To start preparing yourself for a career in medicine it is crucial to have a good foundation in the sciences chemistry, physics, biology are all subjects you will see over and over again as you move through school. If you have the opportunity to take anatomy and physiology I would take advantage of this as well. You will continue to build on your knowledge in these classes through college and medical school but getting early exposure cannot hurt.
Thank you Tosin Oladeinde, I will keep this in mind. Chastity V.
0

Hwal’s Answer

0
Chastity,

It's great that you're thinking ahead! I support Tosin's advice in that you would do well by start building solid, foundational knowledge in basic sciences, such as general biology and general chemistry, along with general/introductory psychology. Physics would certainly be a consideration, because prerequisite courses for most medical school applications would include two semesters of physics. One way to prioritise what to study could be looking at the prerequisite courses for one or more medical schools in your geographical area, to get an idea of what you would be expected to have completed before applying to medical schools. I hope this helps.

Hwal
0