Is becoming a lawyer worth it?

5

I'm thinking about becoming an environmental lawyer, but I've heard law school is draining both financially and emotionally. Was it worth the effort put in? Are some types of law more fulfilling than others? Do you regret becoming a lawyer? Is there anything you would do differently?
#lawyer #lawyers #law-school #attorney #environmental-law #environment #law #july20

5

Ro’s Answer

2
I'm a lawyer admitted in New York, and have practiced law or held legal positions in firms and companies earlier in my career, but later switched to the education field because I really enjoyed working in higher education. Having a law degree never hurts yo in your job search since law is involved in every company (contracts, partnerships, copyright, compliance with laws, etc.), however it's important to find your personal niche. Why do you want to be an environmental lawyer? Is it because you truly care about the environment and want to change/enforce laws and policy to benefit the environment? If yes, then go for it. Find out which law schools have great environmental law programs (ex: NYU has a great rep for that field) and consider what it takes to get accepted and pay for school. If you'll be applying for loans, GET A GOVERNMENT LOAN first before a personal loan (much lower interest!) Law school can be expensive, so research scholarships, work programs, and grants.

I can always go back into law, but I'm pretty content where I am now, and I don't regret law school at all. The most satisfying area of law will be the one that you enjoy the most - some people love working for non profits to advance social justice, whereas some people love paperwork and mergers. It really does depend on your interest. (By the way, environmental law can applies to many areas - so you have to find out which environmental sector you are interested in) Another good tip is that you don't have to major in traditional subjects like political science, it's actually to your advantage to have a major that is unique - ex: computer science major + law degree = can result in legal jobs at tech companies.

This was my 2 cents on this topic - and I hope it shed some light on your question. If possible, I would also seek the opinion and advice of other people that have practiced environmental law to get more focused answers and insight to that particular practice. Best of luck!
2

Joseph’s Answer

1
Becoming a lawyer is great. The reason is that you come to understand all the legal issues in this legal world. There are facets of the law profession. You can be a civil lawyer, a prosecutor, an environmental lawyer, an immigration lawyer, a defense lawyer, and so on and so forth.an
Your choice as an environmental lawyer is promising in that there Is now a growing awareness of environmental degradation and people are suing for damages as people pollute neighborhoods.

In this light it is good you go for your dream and with many scholarships around you will succeed . Forget what the pessimists are saying as you switch to any kind of law if you find that kind not feasible.
1

Jenna’s Answer

0
I did not enjoy law school and it was a tough, draining experience. I had to work hard to get my first job, but in the last 10 years, I can say that overall, I have enjoyed my career. I now am a solo practitioner and while I do probably work harder than I did previously, I find it to be more rewarding. There are days I am drained and wondering why I do it, but usually I am proud of using my training to help people that need it, creating connections, and having control over my clients and my practice. You might want to consider contacting environmental attorneys for an "informational interview" where you can ask them questions about their jobs and experiences. I did not end up practicing in the same area I wanted to at the beginning of law school, which was a great move for me. I would recommend focusing on your schooling and getting good grades, then focus on applying to law school, and then you can figure out what area of law is right for you. You could also consider volunteering at a free law clinic (contact the local state bar chapter in your area) or other organization where you have contact with lawyers, and see what it's like and if it's something that you would find interesting and energizing, or draining and a choice you would regret. Good luck!
0

Lauren’s Answer

0
You seemed to be focused on being an environmental lawyer, so I am assuming you are interested in environmental issues. My suggestion is to think about what you want to do in that area. Being an environmental attorney can be very rewarding but it is not the only way to work in that field. I am a recently retired attorney who had no idea what field she wanted to be in when she graduated law school - so you are ahead of the game! I have worked both in a firm and for various corporations and they were vastly different experiences. So I suggest first thinking about the environmental field and then, as an attorney, where you would provide your value.
0