How should I dress to an interview?

I am scared of looking bad and giving a bad first impression with the stuff I will wear. #career #jobs #interviews #dress-for-success

39

Jared’s Answer

Several great suggestions already. I'd also add that you can often get a glimpse of how the company presents itself by looking at the photos they put of their employees on their public website (if available). That might give you a hint. It won't be as reliable as asking the recruiter / hiring team. If they say something like "business casual", that usually means that men ought to wear a conservative button-down shirt, relatively conservative slacks, a leather belt, and black or brown leather dress shoes. If it's "business formal", that means a suit and tie. It's generally reasonable to dress slightly more formally than the people you plan to meet, just to make sure you don't come off as sloppy. Don't forget to clean your interview outfit ahead of time, and keep it relatively wrinkle-free!

Nice tip! My clothes are usually extremely wrinkly. Alexander N.

Well in that case, iron them away! Ironing a dress shirt is a great way to give yourself a little extra class, and pep in the office. There are a ton of Youtube videos on how to iron dress shirts, if you need little a refresher. Jared Chung BACKER

Dress for 1 position higher than the job you're interviewing for. Ian Sims

Buy an Iron if your clothes are wrinkly. I mean this is day one stuff Jon C.

I buy a tux and go to my inerviews Jon C.

you cannot go wrong with a white collared shirt, black slacks, flats, or if you're going to wear heels make sure they are not over 2 inches, Jody Gallant

Smart Businesswear. Suit, smart shirt and a tie. Simple things like making sure your clothes are ironed, shoes polished and your overall hygiene is good. You only have one opportunity to make an impression! Punit Naker

10

Cynthia’s Answer

Your best bet is to go business casual. This means wearing slacks, belt and a button down shirt - tucked in. You might also want to ask the recruiter what the dress attire is like at the office.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try contacting their office beforehand. Alexander N.

May I may a great suggestion? I thought your question is wonderful. When you apply for a job you want a to have a nice Cover Letter and a Resume. If you are offered the position, this is the time to ask the recruiter in an email what tpye of busines attire do you excpect followed up with a thank you letter for offering you the opportunity for a job position. That would be a great time to mention business attire. Just a heads up. There are many free sites on resume building, cover letters, and follow up. Even if you do not get the job opportunity I always send a thank you note anyhow. Then if another postion comes up maybe that recruiter will think of your thank you note. Good luck. Holly Z.

Make* ^ holly Jon C.

5

Tina’s Answer

Best of the Village

Becuase of prior work experience in the professional dress retail sector, I continue to assist with Dress for Success seminars in the area. Working with local organizations and addressing career classes in high schools, this seems to be a very common question for young people. My advice is always the same: err on the side of conservative. The higher the position, or older you are, the attire usually changes to a dress suit. While in high school, most of your interviews may lend to the business casual attire that has already been suggested, but do your research as to what the environment of the workplace is and if a full suit is required even now, then either wear a basic colored suit or a blue blazer/dark pants combination. Shirt should always be a basic blue or white and a subtle patterned or plain tie. (For young women, simple skirt or pants/blouse or sweater or dress. Nothing overly short!) No loud jewelry or watches, hair should be simple and not styled in a distractive fashion, and dress shoes, or for young male teens, sometimes a simple brown boat shoe might work in the right enviroment and with khakis. And yes! Everything is ironed and clean! For young girls, no spiked heels. Maybe a simple pump or flats. TV may show people showing up in outlandish outfits, but in the real world, that doesn't work.
The idea is that you want to make a quick, positive impression. You never want your clothes to become the focal point and be a distraction to the interviewee. You want them to remember what you talk about, your experience, not have the lasting impression be the loud tie you wore or the fact there was too much product in your hair!!
As you get into college interviews in some schools, you will find this also important and depending on the school you may also need to research what is expected. One of my sons had to wear full suit attire for his music school interview.
Remember: simple, basic and subtle is best. And good luck!

thanks for the information Briana C.

Thank you so much. It'll really help in the future. Julie M.

This is so helpful! Jon C.

It also depends on the industry. For the corporate world something more conservative is excepted , but something like the fashion industry they would except something with more of a twist. Examples include louder colors and some jewelry. Rachel B.

4

Kari’s Answer

I agree with Cynthia above on the standard being business casual. Best practice though, would be to reach out to your Recruiter or contact and ask them for the dress attire because it differs by company/role- i.e. a tech start-up may be dress casual, but applying for a role in a banking or finance - it may be better suited for a blazer as well and a your Recruiter would know best.

thanks for the information Briana C.

Same thanks Jon C.

Wrinkle free, try to stay with white, black, beige and gray. It looks more clean cut. Always throw on a blazer it always helps you look extra professional (: Olivia Simpson

2

Karina’s Answer

Hi Alexander!

The industry dress code to be followed for interviews is wearing the 'Business Professional aka Full Business aka Formal Business' attire. What it means is:
1) Clothes should be solid, dark or neutral colors
2) Light colors can be worn underneath
3) No stripes or bright colors or bright prints
4) The color of your suit/jacket (whichever you are using) should be the same as that of your pants/skirt (whichever you are using). This means that a black suit/jacket with black pants/skirt works.
5) Shoes should be closed-toe heel or dress shoes

P.S.: This dress code can be followed for career fairs, professional networking and presentation events, business meetings, formal celebratory occasions as well.

Hope this helps!!!

1

Chelvonyea’s Answer

When preparing for an interview you want to dress the part of the position that you want. You dont want to be to dressy if its a casual dressed company, and you dont want to under dress if its a business attire company. Make sure you research the company and see what the dress code is. Go off of that with a little extra you added to it. Make sure that whatever you decide to wear that you be confident.
Best of luck to you.

0

Crystal’s Answer

You always want to put your best foot forward in an interview. The suggestion to go the companies website and do some research is huge. If you can see how they present the people in their company on their website you will have a better understanding of what the attire should be. I would however suggest even if it is business casual to have a blazer with a nice pair of dress pants and a nice pair of shoes. If you have a suit I would wear that. Always be sure to have whatever you are wearing pressed to show minimal wrinkles and dress conservative as to not draw to much attention to your attire. You want them to look for what you have to offer from what you are saying and not be preoccupied with your attire. If you do not have a blazer, I would suggest a nice button down shirt, dress paints, a tie and nice shoes.

0

Sara’s Answer

Dress nice such as a business suit or dress with a nice jacket and dress shoes. Don't dress like you are going out to a club or going to a party . You don't want people thinking " OMG! Are you really going to a job interview like that?

0

Jody’s Answer

Dress professionally no matter what your interview is for. It is important to also be comfortable so don't wear the 6in heels if you can't walk in them or the pants that come in a little too tight around the waist. An interview presents enough stress don't add to it by wearing something completely uncomfortable.

0

Christine’s Answer

Hi Alexander.

That is a great question!

I suggest that you dress in formal business attire You are always best to appear over-dressed not under-dressed.

I also recommend that you do not show up in a boring suit. Make sure there is something (such as a special tie) that shows off your true personality. You will feel more like yourself and that will help you shine naturally.

Good Luck as you interview for the job of your dreams!!

Take Care,
Christine Aubin

0

Jamie’s Answer

Always dress in a professional manner knowing that the first impression is everything. Make sure that your perfume or cologne isn't too strong. Walk in with confidence! Good luck!

0

Cait’s Answer

Be sure to test your interview apparel out in advance. You never want to walk into an interview in a new outfit not realizing that it wrinkles almost instantly or that it fits differently after a short period of time.

Try to stay away from bold accessories like a flashy belt-buckle or earrings. You want your interviewer to be focused on what you are saying rather than what you are wearing.

Ooooo Thanks so so much Jon C.

0

Dan’s Answer

Alexander, it can depend on the type of job you are applying for. When started applying for my career in the insurance industry I was told on interviews to wear a solid color suit (black, gray or blue) white or blue shirt, solid color tie, belt and dress shoes. However since my career has progressed when I meet with my client I will dress to how their organization presents itself.

0

Sonya’s Answer

Great question, when going on an interview you always, always, always want to make a good impression that means yes your clothing needs to be clean and pressed(iron). Wearing wrinkle clothing says "if I don't care enough about the way I look, I don't care whether you hire me or not." Males, the business suit (black, navy or grey), white shirt and tie and SHOES NO SNEAKERS or WORK-BOOTS. Ladies business suit, black, navy or grey black or navy shoes and yes pantyhose. Ladies no purses. You want to carry either a portifiolo or a brief case, put your credentials in the brief case. Keep accessories at a minimum, a watch, modest earrings. I hope this helps.

0

Michelle’s Answer

When dressing for an interview you always want to dress as a professional. This lets interviewer know you are taking the opportunity seriously and "putting your best foot forward". Any interview can be a life changing event so you always want to give it that respect to be dressed preped and ready for the occasion.

0

Joey’s Answer

I have never dressed anything but business-professional in an interview, but it all depends on the culture of the company you're working for. Most companies would like to see you in business professional but knowing the culture of the company is a great way to show you've done your research. I wouldn't wear any loud colors to the point that it is distracting to the interviewer but something subtly different from everyone else can make you stand out from the crowd. All-in-all, it's really about how you present yourself in how you answer the questions-professionally. Your attitude should reflect itself in your outfit because it is the first thing anyone sees from you, and you want that to be a positive that sticks.

0

Carlos "Danny"’s Answer

It’s easier to be under-dressed than over-dressed. So if you are in doubt overdress 😉. First impressions, specially in interviews, have a lot of weight. You already have very limited time to sell yourself, make it count.

0

Jody’s Answer

For an interview you would want to make sure your pressed to impress. make sure your wrinkle free
and clean cut/brushed.
apperiance shouldnt be the most important thing in the world but in the business industry it is.
the more put togther you look the more put together you'll feel and your confidence will show!
light makeup for gals, fresh face for guys. what ever you wear, dont forget a smile!

0

Stephen’s Answer

You always dress for success. You don't have to wear a suit but a nice tie and button up shirt with dress slacks. For ladies pant suits are nice. Do not come to an interview like you are going to a club. Always be professional. Dress for the job you want to have, not just the one you have now

0

Cara’s Answer

Hi Alexander,

Great question! Never hurts to be overdressed. I would always dress business professional for an interview (suit, tie, and dress shoes). I also recommend bringing a nice briefcase/notepad/pen so you're ready to take notes during the interview. There's only one first impression. Good luck!

0

Jody’s Answer

I would suggest a business suit at all times. Men a three piece suit very classy solid or small pin stripe color. Dress shoes of course. Clean or neatly shaven. Ladies Dress suit or with slacks. closed toe shoes reasonable heal. Light to litle make up remember job interview not the club. Last if your going to wear a perfume very light same with the men.

0

Stephani’s Answer

If you are going into nursing, DO NOT wear scrubs to the interview. Even though this will be your uniform, you need to show them your professional put together side, not what you wear to work every day. Tina is also right about the shoes. A nursing assistant was recently denied a job at our facility because she wore a mini skirt, high pumps and a shirt with a decent amount of cleavage showing. You don't want you to look like you're going into a nightclub, whichever career path you are interviewing for. Cover up any visible tattoos and remove any earrings you have (especially facial ones).

thanks for the information Briana C.

Thanks so so much Jon C.

0

Elizabeth’s Answer

When you are dressing for an interview you always want to look professional and well put together. It is best to dress on the conservative side. For young men I suggest dress pants, button down shirt, tie, and a jacket. For young women I suggest a skirt or dress pants with a simple blouse and a blazer or cardigan. I suggest a low heel or flats for women, NOT stilettos or knee high boots.

0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Alexander! There are many great answers and I definitely agree. You always want to be professional when going to an interview and therefore dressing business casual is your best bet. I would also add a tie definitely, but remember to also be yourself and pick clothes you feel comfortable in as well. You can also add a little extra from yourself, for example if you have a favorite color you can wear a business suit jacket or tie in that color. I think this may help you feel more comfortable as well, because it can feel that you are still yourself and keep you balanced for the interview!

0

Jody’s Answer

Dress to impress! You will want to find something professional that you feel confident in. Do not wait till the last minute to find an outfit, start preparing as soon as you get the call for the interview. Make sure youre confortable and look your best. If you are on a tight budget go to clearance sections or a thrift store. Try on everything before you buy it so youll know for sure if it fits right. First impression is everything, but doesnt have to cost a lot as long as you look professional, confident and comfortable.

0

Bill’s Answer

Alexander,

You can never overdress, however it is possible to under impress. Be yourself, and let you interviewer know who you are and how the company benefit in hiring you.

Best of luck in your future pursuit.

Bill

0

Bill’s Answer

Alexander,

Best of luck in your future pursuit.

Bill

0

Jody’s Answer

You have to dress for the job you want, even if it is simple. Some people have different financial situations but looking clean is big. Looking up some of the companys information is also very good, get a feild of what they like and how their upper management dresses.

0

Kelsey’s Answer

Hello Alexander,
My opinion is you should always dress for the position you want! Even if you have to make your way up to the top its always best to strive to be the best!

0

Jody’s Answer

I would opt for a business suit,with a crisp white or neutral colored shirt and polished shoes. A dress may be suitable as well ,as long as it is length appropriate .

0

Nancy’s Answer

Dress to impress. First impressions are always the best. Carry extra resumes if have some work experience. Be confident and proud.

0

Jason’s Answer

Dress for the position you are going for.

0

Crystal’s Answer

0

Jamie’s Answer

Always look your best. If you have a suit, wear it. Don't worry about over dressing with respect to how the company dresses. A good hiring manager will want to see you at your best. Dress shirt with this suit is ideally white, but a traditional (not French) blue is ok as well.

If you can afford it, have your interview clothes cleaned and pressed by a dry cleaner ahead of the interview.

No sneakers or white socks. Ever.

In the end, you'll find that as your comfort level in wearing professional dress will become easier and your confidence will grow.

0

Cheryl’s Answer

Hello Alexander,
I love your question and wish that more candidates would think about their appearance before heading to their interview. You only get one chance to make a first impression so your appearance is important in putting your best self forward. Do some research on the company beforehand to find out what their culture is like and gear your attire accordingly, if you are unsure it is always best to err on the side of caution and choose business professional or business causal depending on the position you are interviewing for, personally, I would prefer to see someone overdressed vs. underdressed, it shows me you put some thought into it and you are serious about the job. Do a google search for Professional Business Attire if you need to get some ideas, there are plenty of pictures and articles that I’m sure you will find helpful.
Good luck in your job search.

0

Melanie’s Answer

.When dressing for an interview you always want to dress business casual. Keep in mind they use to be certain colors you were suppose to wear for both men and women when going to an interview. (Blue and Gray) You don’t have to follow that rule but always good to know. If you can afford it get yourself 2 suits just for interviews purposes so you can switch around. Please make sure all clothes are iron out, not a lot of jewelry, arrive 15mins before you interview and be sure not to warm cologne or perfume. You never know who maybe be allergic to it. Most importantly no tattoos or nose earrings. Good Luck with your interview and I hope I was able to give you some points.

0

Jody’s Answer

When preparing for an interview, always remember to wear something that is professional. Depending on the type of position, business casual coule be okay. Look towards a suit, or a long sleeve shirt with long pants. ALWAYS wear closed toe shoes. If you choose to wear a shirt, make sure it's a decent length(perferrably to the knees). And always have on panty hose. Makes for a more professional look.
For the ladies, wear a top that covers your chest. And for those ladies who wear makeup, go for the natural look. Never want to show up wearing too much. That isn't professional at all! For ladies and gentlemen, if you happen to have tattoos. Make sure you ALWAYS cover them up. Make sure your well groomed,hair,clothes,nails,perfume/cologne ect...

0