What are some ways I can use my college summers efficiently if I can't get a summer job?

I'm entering my sophomore year in college, and still enjoying my summer. However, I was unable to find myself a steady job this summer (so I've been taking work where I can- moving jobs, pet & house-sitting, yard work, etc..), and have thus been spending all of my free time exercising my creativity by painting, writing, and working on establishing an online presence with vlogging. Still, I feel like there is more I can do- nay, more that I *should* be doing. When I get tired of painting or crafting or exercising I will crack open some of my language books from last semester to stay sharp, but aside from that, I feel stuck. education higher-education counseling time-management mentoring academic-advising creative e-learning

6

Anne-Maree’s Answer

You have taken a great step in seeing advise on what you can do. Think about the study that you are completing and an area that is your strength. Approach volunteer organisations who might be appreciative of your efforts, and in return you will gain experience and insights into an area that will increase your employment opportunities for next summer. Internships as mentioned previously is awesome, again align with a company or a skill set where your strengths resonate. Top marks for your attitude and remember the only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

0

Mounia’s Answer

Hi Thomas,

First of all you got it right by thinking that summer is not to be wasted in just vacation and leisure time, it is valuable time that you should invest in trainings, internships or community sevice therefore I would advise you to look up opprtunities of abroad tranings or language sessions that your university might offer, or that other univeristies offer look it up online. You could save up from the little jobs you do here and there , and go for an abroad exoperience, or you could try to find internships through organisatios like AISEC or any other organisation of your choice, if you are a college studend I think it would be best for you to try to build your career rather than just trying to find any job, it is just like a follow up to what you studied during the year, do online research for carrer opportunities and seize them.

Best of luck to you !

0

shashidhara’s Answer

instead of trying for any other job u can try an internship

0

Joe’s Answer

If you really can't get a job, I would try and evaluate what is holding you back.

I would recommend you volunteer at a non profit, preferably working in an area you want to develop skills. Experience in a non profit environment can be valuable. Also, it will demonstrate to employers that you really love what you do.

0

shashidhara’s Answer

0

Courtney’s Answer

Do an internship at a company in your field of interest. A lot of companies offer unpaid summer internships.

0