25
Updated 2106 views

How to make a good first impression during a job interview?

I am an engineering student that is searching for an internship those days. #business #mechanical-engineering #business-management #civil-engineering #electrical-engineering #chemical-engineering #administration #industrial-engineering #job-application

25

5

Sam’s Answer

Hello Tharles,

I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with Monster.com's Career Advice webpage because there is all kind of great information there dealing with interviews, including Interview Preparation and Interview Appearance. https://www.monster.com/career-advice/

Keep in mind that you are a college student so you will be applying for an internship or coop or something like that. Interest in the internship job that you are applying for is important, so it would greatly help to figure out what you want to do when you graduate college (or at least narrow down your options) so you can find an internship in that field. For example, if you know that you want to work with cars, you will want to apply for an internship with an automobile company or a supplier to an automobile company. Your interest in cars will be discussed in the interview and you will want to communicate that interest and how you are taking (or plan to take) courses in college related to cars.

After you have established interest in an internship job, you'll want to create a resume that demonstrates how you meet (or exceed) the requirements that the employer is asking for in the internship job posting. You want a nice, clean, simple, one page resume. Only apply for jobs that you are either completely qualified for or mostly qualified for. If you are not at all qualified, don't apply. Your qualifications will be discussed in the interview.

Finally, show-up to the interview on-time and looking nice. Buy a suit package (suit, shirt, tie, pocket silk, and shoes) and wear it to the interview. It will communicate that you are serious about the job. At a bare minimum, wear a shirt, tie, and pants. Remember, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

I hope this helps!!

Sam

Thank you comment icon Thank you Sam Seldon, i really appreciated your answer. Tharles
5
4

Caroline’s Answer

Be confident in yourself. Be direct , ask questions show you are truly interested in what the company stands for. Be honest if you are asked a question and you have never done it before say i do not have direct experience doing that however I am a fast learner and it will not be a problem for me. Personality is very important your personality has to be able to work well as a team with others to get the job done. We all know that people have different work ethic its how you find the way to work with the others that will get the job done. Make sure you express any advancement opportunities within the company this will tell the employer that you are looking for the long hall not just a few months. Also this will be good knowledge for yourself so you can decide if it is truly the job for you or not.

Thank you comment icon Thank you Caroline Velasquez, it was really helpful ! Tharles
4
2

Poonam’s Answer

1. SMILE:

You would prefer not to try too hard, however, think positive and grin when you’re facing the interviewer and when it’s fitting amid the interview. Positive individuals with solid interpersonal abilities will more likely be recruited.

2. DRESS PROPERLY:

It can be truly clumsy on the off chance that you appear for a job interview under-dressed or overdressed. In case you don’t know what to wear, look at these tips for how to dress for an interview so you create the best impression.

for more: http://saytooloud.com/interview-tips/creating-best-impression-interview-heres/

2
2

Victoria’s Answer

Hi Tharles,

I would offer a couple of pieces of advice:

1. Be on time - 5-10 minute prior to the interview is perfect
2. Be prepared - do your research on the company & the product
3. Know the role & familiarise yourself with the skills & experience they're looking for
4. Research your interviewers - know a little bit about their career backgrounds (LinkedIn profiles are good for this!)
5. Be inquisitive - ask questions during & make sure you have some questions prepared for the end
6. You don't always need to be in a suit & tie - check out the company and try and get a feel for their culture/vibe. Always make an effort to look smart, but this could also be wearing just a nice shirt and jeans!
2
1

Debby’s Answer

From my own experience, I have learned, be yourself, smile, be respectful.
Listen completely and pay attention to the person speaking, eye contact is GOOD.
(don't be anticipating your answer before the question is asked, don't look through papers
while someone is still speaking)

1
1

Cory’s Answer

It is always important to make sure to show up around 15 minutes before the interview, you do not want to be too early and sit for an hour as well you do not want to every show up late. Dress for the role that you want to be in and ensure that it is clean and pressed. Ensure to have several copies of your resume and if necessary action plan on hand as there may be several people in your interview with you and each person could have a copy. Bring good energy with eye contact along with positive body language by sitting slightly forward in your seat and arms on the side but not crossed. Lastly have a plan showing where you have looked into the role you are applying for by being able to speak to why you would be the best fit for this role, avoid generic answers ie. "I love working with people", or "I am a great worker". Lastly practice before with someone on answering questions that may come up to help control nerves.
1
1

Larry’s Answer

Find out all you can about the company ahead of the interview. Research their product lines, dollar volume, number of employees, market penetration. During the interview show genuine interest in what the company does & what they have accomplished. This will come easy if you have done a thorough research. Be prepared to discuss what you can do as it applies to them from what you have learned & your experience.

1
1

Tobias’s Answer

The thing that always impresses me the most is when a candidate asks a question that makes it clear they've looked into the position they're applying for. This can be in relation to the company ("How do you feel about _____ value at <company>? Do you think your company embodies that?"), the team responsibilities ("What makes you want to work building software that does ________?"), or it can be a very specific question around the day-to-day life of my role. Showing that you've put effort into preparing for the interview goes a long way in convincing me that you want to work in the role for which you're interviewing.

The rest of the advice on this thread is amazing so I won't rehash any more of that.
1
1

Li’s Answer

Some personal experience:
1. To be prepared. Before the interview, you can search some information about the company and the position.
2. Show your positive attitudes. Everyone loves to work with someone full of energy, looking things positively.
3. Deliver a good conversation. Introducing what you have done and who you are with a systematical way (well structured).
4. Answer the questions honestly. If you really don't know some question, just say No.

1
1

Abir’s Answer

Show up early.
Do your research.
Be kind to everyone regardless of role. Treat receptionists and other with respect.
1
1

Jeff’s Answer

Be confident, positive and honest. It's a good idea to search for sample interview questions for your field of interest to get an idea of what they may ask. Get an idea of how you may want to answer those types of questions. Don't be afraid to ask for a moment to think about the question. If you don't have prior experience in an area, say so and offer a similar example if you can. Don't be afraid to ask your interviewer what they are looking for and what if any skills you should work on before starting.

1
0

C’s Answer

First impressions count so when you arrive at a job interview smile and shake hands with the interviewers - strong handshake and look them in the eye. Have passion about the role you are going for. Have some questions prepared to ask the interviewers as this will show your enthusiasm. Keep smiling. Research the company well and be prepared for questions on this.
Research the job indept and know it inside out. Have example questions they could ask you prepared based on the job spec.

At the end thank them for their time and outline how much the role means to you.

0
0

Warren’s Answer

The best advice I can give is to have a good understanding of the company that you are seeking a job from. Often I've interviewed people who have not taken the time to learn about the company. The is a wealth of information available on a companies website and online that can be referred to during the interview. I wonder that if you haven't taken the time to understand the company, then are you really interested in a role at my company.

0
0

Jen’s Answer

Hi, I've interviewed many candidates over the course of my career for various types of positions. There are a few basics that I look for which are:
1. Are you on time?
2. Are you confident and maintained direct eye contact during the interview?
3. Are you dressed appropriately?
4. Are you knowledgeable about the position you are seeking?
5. What materials did you prepare to share with me and are they professional and impactful?
6. When asked a question, did you provide specific examples along with results achieved?
7. Did you take your time to think through your answers before responding?
8. Did you take notes on any information I was sharing about the job and company?
9. Did you come prepared with questions and references?
10. Did you thank me and follow-up the interview with a thank you call or email?

0
0

Pat’s Answer

It is vital to be on time, meaning 15 minutes before your scheduled time. Dress professionally if possible, but always have a neat appearance. Be prepared with questions about the position and company. This shows that you are interested and engaged. Keep in mind that the interview process also gives you the opportunity to evaluate if this is the right company or position for you. At the end of the interview, if you are interested in the position/company, ask for the job! Try this: "on a scale of 1 to 10(10 being best), how do you think I satisfy what you are looking for". This makes them think about what you just shared with them. If they say anything less than 10, ask them what it would take to be a 10.
0
0

Jayne’s Answer

Be prepared -- understand the company.   Relate how your experience WILL solve problems the company is currently facing.   Relate how your ideas WILL grow their business.

0
0