What are some drawback of being a computer programmer?

I am a sophomore in high school, who is taking college courses for programming right now from a local college. I have been interested in coding since 8th grade and now I feel like that is what my future will be. computer programming computer-programming computer-software computer-science tech technology microcomputerapplications program

9

Dave’s Answer

In my experience, moving directly into a programming career (assuming you enjoy programming) can be immensely satisfying and intellectually stimulating. There's enough stuff to learn and practice for several decades and enjoy doing so.

The drawback occurs much further down the road, once you've achieved some level of mastery and start to realize just how big and broad the world is beyond the bits and bytes. You may start to wish you had spent more time in humanities (art, philosophy, etc.) and recognize that they could be significant forces for new ways of thinking and interesting problems to solve.

This doesn't happen to everyone, but it's something you may encounter, particularly if you're the curious type (which many programmers are). My suggestion - and what I wish I had done - is to go broad; take the programming class, but also try that art history class. Look for the overlap, the intersections and the gaps between varied topics. Stretch your mind and you'll be a better programmer and a better human for the experience. :)
1

Sheila’s Answer

Hi Bryson,

Computer programming or engineering can be a great profession. It is challenging and you are solving problems every day. You can work in an office or you can work from home, depending on the company. You can work for a software company or in the IT dept. of a large company. You can have exposure to many industries. It's a great foundation for many other careers as well. I started my career as a computer programmer and I liked it quite a bit. I worked in an IT department of a large insurance company. After a few years, I decided that I wanted to try something else, so I moved into project management. I have since done many other things in my career, so computer programming is a great place to start. I would look at colleges that have either a Computer Science or CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree. CS is more engineering focused whereas CIS is more business focused. Good luck in your journey!
1

Tobin’s Answer

Lately, I have had no down sides to my career as a programmer. Earlier on, I fell victim to what many people do really in their careers - working too much. Really that isn't limited to programming so much as your internal drive to impress others or finish an accomplishment. Learning to balance my work with life helped a lot! As a programmer, I don't fit the stereotypes very well although I am able to go a day or two without much interaction with other people without it bothering me. I can also interact with people constantly and lead them as well. So, if getting assignments that can be challenging to solve/complete and working to see it happen is appealing to you then you are probably on the right path.
0

Chetan’s Answer

There are no drawback of being computer programmer, especially when you have interest in coding.

Only thing is there is no end to learning in this field. You will need keep learning emerging technologies, however, that will be fun to learn.

Take formal degree in this field and then you can join good technology organization where you can utilize your knowledge to solve problems and of course, can have better earning/lifestyle.
0

Craig’s Answer

It can be a anti-social job, requiring long hours and time spent, also it may not be good for you eyes or posture , health
0

Betty’s Answer

Hi Bryson,

Computer programming (software) as a profession typically requires problem solving skills from critical thinking to analysis, troubleshooting, persistence, sound knowledge of coding practices, etc. While there are many positive benefits to the profession, there could also be some major drawbacks depending on the path you take.

While I wouldn't agree with broad generalizations, I think it is important to be aware of the pitfalls of the profession. Programmers are typically characterized as:

- Introverts
- Not great communicators
- Socially awkward
- Have bad hygiene
- Work around the clock
- Very insular focused and not strategic
- Doesn't think of the overall picture

The profession can be beneficial for those who seek to build on and advance their technical careers and make a good living from doing so, but without the management and leadership experience, it could become a dead end. Therefore, it's important and critical in this day and age to also develop the other skills that will help you to advance you to the career and dream job you seek.

Thank you!!! Bryson H.

0

Ravi’s Answer

Hi Bryson,

As a Computer Programmer, you always need to challenge your brain. It's all about Logic. You can easily learn the syntax of any programming language. There are so many tutorials available on the web to teach you the syntax of different programming languages.
But You need to learn problem-solving on your own. How efficiently you can solve a given problem. In how many ways, you can solve a given problem.

I will not say it's a drawback but you need to keep on learning the latest technologies available in the market. Learning is a never ending process in the life of a computer programmer. I personally find it interesting.

You also need to learn Time-boxing things. You can't keep on working whole days and nights.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your future.
0