5

I'm currently in high school, but I have an interest in Psychology right now and I am wondering what it would entail if I want to pursue that in University and after that?

I enjoy the psychology class I am in right now and I like the idea of pursuing something in that area but I am not sure what to really do now. I should probably take a psychology class at University but I don't know what else there is and how to look at using that for my future.
Thanks!

5

0

Priya’s Answer

Hi Izabela,
Psychology is a very versatile degree, meaning you can use it toward many different careers, whether you want to stick with mental health or not. Many people have used it toward a medical degree, or I am sure toward business. The study of people can serve you in many fields. You can try and see if you can either look up psychology classes online for free or even take a class at a community college if you are interested in it. You can also ask your school counselor or your university advisor regarding what careers you can pursue with Psychology. You can also choose to major in Psychology and minor in other fields/interests to hone in on your career path once in college. You have many options =)!
Thank you comment icon Thank you for answering this for me! It's really helpful. Izabela
0
0

Morgan’s Answer

Hi Izabela! Psychology is a great field because the training and job opportunities are endless! One great place to start could be to check out the American Psychological Association's website and look at the different types of jobs psychologists do. Like others have said, as a psychologist you can provide therapy, assessments, supervise and train students, teach, do research, and even consult. Psychologists can do anything, from providing therapy at a private practice to conducting research for companies like Disney or working for the military. I chose to complete a Ph.D. in Psychology so that I could have as many career options as possible. To become a psychologist, I had to complete a bachelors degree, 2 year masters, and 4 year Ph.D. Once you complete a Ph.D., you can teach at a university or work in the private sector consulting and doing research. If you want to be able to see clients and provide therapy, you have to become licensed as a psychologist. That is a lot of school and training and a significant time commitment but for me, it was well worth it.
Some things to consider: do you enjoy doing a lot of reading and writing assignments? Do you enjoy classes that require a lot of critical thinking? Would you be open to going to school for longer than 4 years? How much money would you like to earn after graduating from college? Can you see yourself working with a specific group of people like children or the elderly? Those questions may help you decide if you are interested in majoring in psych.

Morgan recommends the following next steps:

visit www.apa.org to learn more about majoring in psychology
Thank you comment icon Your advice was so helpful! Izabela
0
0

Darcy’s Answer

Hi Izabela!

As Ashley mentioned, there are a ton of different paths you can take with a psychology major - it doesn't have to be just clinical or counseling! Human resources, organizational behavior, evaluation, market research are all roles that a psychology major could pursue.

Like you, I enjoyed my high school psychology class so much I decided to major in psychology in college. As a psych major, there are so many different areas you can focus in (social, forensic, cognitive, clinical, etc.), and your college will offer many different course options, so you can dabble in a little bit of all of them and see what interests you most.

For me, I found my passion in cognitive psychology and research. I ended up getting a master's in cognitive psychology, and am now working in customer experience research. This type of role is a combination of many elements of a psychology major (research methods, statistics, survey design, and human behavior).

Again, as Ashley said, you don't need to have it all figured out now. Just pursue the things you're interested in and see where it takes you, and know that a psychology major can open a lot more doors than you might think!
Thank you comment icon This is extremely helpful, thank you! Izabela
0
0

Ashley’s Answer

Hi Izabela,

It’s great to hear that you are already thinking about your plans after high school. Good for you! With psychology, there are so many areas: human development, mental health, behavior, research, counseling, etc.

For me, I majored in psychology in college and then completed my masters in counselor education to be a school counselor. I wanted to help people in schools. Figure out who you want to help and how you want to help them. Then you can narrow down a path for your future. Once you have those answers or interests, consider joining clubs in high school or doing volunteer work to add to your resume or college application. This will really make you stand out and get you experience with helping other people.

A college advisor can help you determine what classes are best to take in college. You don't need to have all that figured out now. Have fun learning more about yourself and your interests!
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much! This definitely helped give me a better idea! Izabela
0