hadi G.

196

4

What is the beginners salary for a software engineer?

I want to know how much I will be getting $. #technology #money #software #software-engineering #computer-software

Hello Hadi G. There are plenty of good ways to find the going rate of your question for any job title using tools like Glassdoor, Salary.com, LinkedIn. Make sure you put in your exact title and location because the algorithms are sometimes based on Geography and cost of living. Another thing to consider is get as much experience as you can in this day and age internships, startups, 3 day website incubators, volunteer. The more you bring to the table the more you can negotiate. Don't be afraid to do it based on what your comfort level is. "If you don't ask; you will never know and all they can say is No" That's what business is all about! Google will find you more.. Explore! Hope that leads you down the right path. Cheers! #tech #salary-negotiation #salary #college #expectations #catalyses3.com
Last updated Dec 02 '17 at 09:41

Before asking about the salary, you need to enjoy doing the work every day. Working with computers and software 5 to 6 days a week needs to be enjoyable and stimulating. If you spend the money and time for a four year degree and then find out you don't like sitting in the office at a desk for 10 hours it doesn't matter how much money you make.

Now to answer your question. The salary will depend on where you are working. I worked in Florida and earned a salary that was based on the cost of living the amount of money the company was making, etc. Then I worked in Boston and because of the increase in the cost of living I received 25% more in my salary. Then I worked in Dallas and took a slight decrease in salary because no state tax, etc.

Because you will be non exempt the salary will be fixed no matter how many hours you work. Some software engineering jobs are 24/7/365 and other jobs only work40 to 50 hours a week. Some companies will allow you to work from home using VPN and others make you only work in the office. So salary divided by number of hours worked could be a major difference.

Also, there are differences in important benefits: medical insurance, 401K, holidays, vacation days, paid college courses (for a master degree), etc.

I am sure there are more differences...

This professional recommends the following next steps:

Last updated Apr 10 at 11:41

It depends where you are working at, company size, public company or private one, Government or not, type of position - Perm vs Contractor.

Search out in salary.com or linkedin.com. Typically a big company pays 60K for software engineer just graduated school with good benefit. Government should be around 55K, Private one might be 70K but less benefit. Company in Metro should pay higher than one in small town. (Competition rate is different)

Last updated Feb 15 at 20:13

Really depends on location first and then company. Back home in the Midwest I would be lucky getting 70k starting. Out west (sv, Seattle, etc) at Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc starting is easily twice that. Netflix probably even more. Much more difficult to get into the very high paying spots, but everywhere out west pays better.
Last updated Dec 03 '17 at 02:41

Schools Add a school