Gus H.’s Avatar

Gus H.

61

2

As someone who plans on majoring in music performance in college, what should I minor or double major in?

I am well aware of the fact that its going to be a struggle once I get into the world as a musician, so I am exploring other options to do in addition to music performance. Ideally, I would like to do something that is somehow connected to music, like audio engineering etc, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

#music #music-performance #college-major #majors #college-majors #choosing-a-major #college-minor #majors-and-minors #music-education #audio-engineering

Hi Gus , I always encourage young folks to follow there dreams . Music is a great , I would do business as a double . Just because it will help you with the business aspect of music as well . Business management can tie into so many things . Plus it’s not a bad back cause you could end up going to musics executive side of music or A&R rep. Explore your options and go after it ..
Last updated Mar 20 at 05:59 AM
Hey Gus! You're right that music isn't any easy profession, but if it is your passion, you should follow it with a laser focus. Music requires long-term commitment and willingness to stick with it even when you're not getting much reward for it. Audio engineering is a good minor because it will compliment your experience in music and perspective on how you want to sound as a performer, and how you think about music in a broader sense. However, other minors that could potentially compliment it would be communications, business, or engineering (depending on how technical/scientifically oriented you are. Sometimes audio engineers have actual engineering degrees, and that adds a whole other dimension to their perspective in the studio). I know many, many musicians who are performers and who also have a primary career as an audio engineer. There is a ton of overlap between them and it is a great choice! Best of luck!
Last updated Oct 17 '17 at 05:48 PM
Hi Gus, I double majored in music and actuarial science when I was in college and ended up going the actuarial route for a career, with music being a serious hobby. But your idea of audio engineering sounds better! I think it’s totally feasible to major in music and some engineering major related to audio engineering job. You will take on a bigger course load as a result, but if you can get out of taking a lot of gen ed courses, that will help with that. Good luck!
Last updated Oct 26 '17 at 12:59 PM