How do you choose the right career?

I wanted to become a surgeon since I was little, but as I got older, I also found an interest in both music and engineering. I want to choose the right career for myself, but I don’t know how.
#surgery #engineering #music #whatdoido #passion

7

Ann Cherrise’s Answer

Hi Aalijah,

I find your question very interesting because I had the same dilemma back when I was doing my college applications. It was also my ultimate dream to be a doctor because I have passion in helping and serving other people. Back then, we could say that I'm still unaware that I can fulfill my passion even if I'm not in the Medicine field. After 4 years in college, who would have thought that I'll be in Human Resources and will make an impact to the world in whole new different way.

In your case, I would recommend for you to apply to all three courses then wait and see where life will take you. Always remember that there's nothing wrong in TRYING. I firmly believe that opportunities will unfold when you least expect it. ;)

Hoping for the best!

Xx

Acee :)

1

Kate’s Answer

Hi Aalijah,

I also had a similar experience when I was picking a college major. I wanted to be a doctor for the longest time but in junior/ senior year of high school I realized I really enjoyed math and physics and did not enjoy the memorization that came with biology and chemistry. I also did not want to be in school for the next ten plus years. I actually applied to different colleges with different majors (pre-med, architecture and spanish since I was not sure. After doing some more research and talking to different people I determined that I wanted to try mechanical engineering.

One thing I want to point out is that picking a major does not mean that you are stuck to that as a career. The job I took out of college was not a mechanical engineering role it fell in line with a more electrical engineering role. I know many people who got an engineering major and are in different career paths. Some people went to more business focused roles while other went back to school to get law and medical degrees. I would recommend looking at engineering majors just because they offer a lot of flexibility and return on investment.

1

Anthony’s Answer

Aalijah,

I'm going to take a slightly different track on this than the above response. I faced a similar situation, where my passion and interest was in philosophy and history, but I knew that the prospects for these two interests after college, in terms of variety and pay are not wide or deep. I decided on taking a more practical degree program; my view is if you are going to pay a significant amount of money to go to school, it should be in something that gives you commensurate value, a skill that you could not otherwise learn, and one that also enables you to create value to an employer or for your own practice (i.e. If you become a lawyer, or a doctor, YOU are the service provider). It's now been 10 years since I was faced with that decision, and I can tell you I still found plenty of time to pursue my other interests and continue to self-educate in history and philosophy all for free. You can do both, but unfortunately, school is not purely a passion project, it is also an economic decision. Good luck, think it over and talk about it with your parents.

Best,

AM

1

Justice’s Answer

Aalijah,

When I was little I wanted to be a brain surgeon, but once I got a little older I wanted to work with child care. Then when college was around the corner I had to choose a major. All I knew was I have a passion for children and wanted to give the broken hearted a voice. So, freshman year I started studying Psychology because I thought I would counsel children and help them find solutions to their problems. After my first semester I realized Psychology was not meant for me. I wanted to be more hands on with making a difference in children's life. Not just counseling them and giving them words of encouragement. Then my sophomore year I switched to Social Work, because I thought if I studied Social Work I could work with a Foster Care agency or with sexual abuse victims. I am a junior now and love Social Work. It took a few switches to find my dream job, but it was totally worth it. I am now a Social Work major and have a Psychology minor. Going into college I would go in undeclared and take a few courses of the majors you are interested in and see how you interact with the professors and if you actually enjoy those subjects. You want to study something you are passionate about, but something you can mentally improve at.

1

Dennis’s Answer

Aalijah -

Find out what really drives you, interests you - your aspirations and really then go after that Career!
If you can really narrow it down and find that true passion for that Career - there’s a very good chance you will really enjoy that Job or Career for a long time!

Good Luck!

0

Sometimes choosing a career is easier when you learn what is involved in getting to that career. General surgery is a great field requiring a medical doctorate. This means that you will have to complete college with a bachelor’s degree as well as all of the Pre-med requirements (1 year biology, 1 year inorganic chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry + labs, physics, calculus, and biochemistry). GPA should probably be 3.5 or better (preferably >3.8). You will also have to score well on the MCAT. Once accepted to medical school, as long as you pass your classes and perform reasonably well during your four years of medical training, you can apply for a general surgery 5 year residency. Following that, you will likely apply for a 1-3 year fellowship. This career path requires 14+ years of school after high school but is very fulfilling and challenging work.

0

Srinivasa’s Answer

This depends on your life style priorities and the country you eventually(Aspire to) will live in. End of the day should satisfy your needs and wants and how badly you want have those wants. Once you sort that out, It starts with taking what you are passionate about, enjoy doing, taking a pride in and finally knowing the future opportunities for that field. Not as much on current opportunities but more so in future.

0