What career choices are there for someone who is looking for a job in psychology, but is also interested in computer engineering and social media?

Updated Los Angeles, California

I'm asking because I want to know if there's a profession out there that involves all these things I'm interested in. I like hands on things and working with people, but I also like technology. #psychology #computer-engineering #social-work #computer-engineer #online-media

Meg’s Answer

Updated Franklin, Tennessee

You may want to look in Cyber Intelligence. The psychology of why people do what they do is incredibly important to the security industry as a whole, and having participants who can bridge the gap between people and technology is vital to success.

Eva’s Answer

Updated San Francisco, California

Hi Jose,

I think you'd be a great Community Manager! Many tech companies hire community managers to help build communities around their products.

You'll use your knowledge of psychology to design awesome communities and help people connect with each other. You basically create communities where people can feel a sense of belonging.

I'm a community manager, and I use social media on a daily basis to help build community. You can build technical communities if that's what you're interested in, too - there are jobs being a Developer Evangelist where you get to connect with really cool developers.

Please feel free to ask me questions if you'd like to know more about being a Community Manager in tech!

James’s Answer

Updated Los Angeles, California

If you also have an interest in either Art or Product Design, I would suggest UI/UX Designer (User Interface / User Experience), or a focus on HCI (Human Computer Interaction).

Both of these fields revolve around understanding how humans take in information, interact with the world around them, and how to streamline those processes.

A few examples:

UI/UX -Designing a Social Media Feed to show useful information and gain attention for items relevant to the user. This could include changing the size of pictures based on relevancy, determining the colors and sizes of buttons, etc. This requires a deep understanding on how humans read and scan images, how they are likely to repsond to different shapes and colors, and how to minimize friction in getting users to click, without creating accidental clicks. -Just look at Apple. A huge contributor to their success is the hard focus on ensuring that all user interactions feel "easy" and intuitive. If you sit someone in front of a device that has never used it before, they should be able to use it without asking questions or getting confused/frustrated.

HCI -Designing the actual layout of buttons on a new device, such as a smart watch. How many buttons? What material? What angle? How many buttons give users a feeling of mastery vs confusion? How hard should it be to press to make the interaction feel important, while not being impractical for long term use? All of these things matter, and require knowledge of how humans respond.

All of this work can be incredibly rewarding. One interesting feature is that the best design work is one that no on notices, because everything just feels so natural.

Lauren’s Answer

Updated Cambridge, Massachusetts

I would learn more about growth hacking - http://www.amazon.com/Growth-Hacker-Marketing-Primer-Advertising/dp/1591847389 - and full-stack marketing - wadefoster.net/post/42802176600/full-stack-marketing

Gary Stephen’s Answer

Updated Harlingen, Texas

Hi, You have a great answer above and I thought I would add that working in any type of law enforcement, security or computer network security will also be a good place to use all of these skills. http://computer-careers-review.toptenreviews.com/network-security-specialist-review.html

I was interested in business and psychology so I majored in liberal arts and then took a lot of courses in both business and psychology as an emphasis area. I now work for a large computer manufacturer in Texas doing Sales Support which combines both business and psychology.