Can I pursue a Master's in Engineering after completing an undergraduate degree in Physics ? If so , which fields of engineering are applicable ?

5
5

Peter’s Answer

1
The answer to your Questions is: Of course you can! My career path is a good example

I graduated with a degree in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry. I worked for two years in a Microbiology Lab before going on to Graduate School. I had become very interested in the Field of Water Resources. So I attended the Civil Engineering Dept. at the University of Washington and got a Masters Degree in Engineering. I then worked nearly my entire career with various national consulting firms. About ten years into my career I took and passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) test, which is typically taken by engineering student in their junior or senior year. Shortly after that I passed the Professional Engineering exam and got my PE License. I have been very happy with my decision to pursue an engineering career as it has been a source of great personal satisfaction and success in my Life.

Most engineering disciplines are based upon Physics. So your College Degree places you in an excellent position to pursue an engineering graduate degree. A Physics Degree will give you a good grounding for civil, mechanical, aerospace, computer and electrical are engineering disciplines, at the very least. I encourage you to move forward into a rewarding career in engineering.

Good Luck, Pete Sturtevant, PE

Peter recommends the following next steps:

• Contact a local engineering association in your area and talk to one or more engineers
1

Melanie’s Answer

0
I would also recommend speaking with a guidance counselor as they can help you determine which classes to take that may help both degrees. For instance, you may be able to choose from a list of courses for your under-graduate degree. Of those courses, some may be pre-requisites for the graduate degree. A counselor can help you make those decisions. Good luck!
0

Giovanni’s Answer

0
From experience and what I learned is that most graduates take exams into certain engineering programs to be able to classes in masters in engineering if there score is high enough and meets the requirements for your school of choice. Depending on your school I would take advise from an acdemic advisor for your school of choice to be able to get into a masters engineering program. I met fellow classmates at my institution be physics major and enrolled in masters engineering programs such as materials science to be able to do that, but was taking a few Undergraduate classes in order to meet certain requirements.
I hope this help,

Best of luck,
0

Deon’s Answer

0
Raphael,

Yes, you can very well pursue a Master's in Engineering after completing an undergraduate degree in Physics. Actually, that is the best approach because an undergraduate degree in Physics is a great foundation for a Master's in Engineering. If you were to look at most undergraduate engineering curriculum you will notice that Physics are the foundational courses to understanding the engineering concepts. I have always thought of Physics as the essential building blocks for any engineering curriculum.
0