What are some things you wish someone told you during your school life?

17

Samyukta creating a work-life balance can be challenging for many people but for college students, a lack of balance can become overwhelming if healthy living and wellness aren’t factored into the overall equation. Balancing coursework, roommates, co-curricular activities, finances, personal relationships, etc., in a totally new and different environment is a tremendous change for students who may be coming from a world where most of their basic needs were taken care of. ​

SET GOALS – To learn how to keep balance, have expectations. Without a set of meaningful expectations, you will flounder and try to do too much. Expectations should include what you expect from school, what you expect from work, and what you expect from your social life. For example, you may set yourself the expectation of a certain set of grades for your college work. This will help give you focus and ensure you put the required effort in to attain these grades. Moreover, you may set an expectation of earning a certain sum of cash per week – this means you won't take on too many hours and potentially damage your school work. Finally, you may set an expectation of seeing your friends once per week – this will give you something to look forward too.

GET SUPORT – There is no point trying to carry the world on your shoulders. Your family, friends, and teachers can help. If you are failing to see how to balance work and college, seek advice. Your family and teachers will have experienced the same struggles – use their knowledge. You could also look at easy business ideas for college students if you are struggling to find work, or want to start an entrepreneurial venture.

AVOID STRESS – Regardless of how much balance you have, you may still experience stress. Developing stress relieving mechanisms can help improve your balance and your quality of life. For example, you could do simple things such as reading a book to relax your mind or taking a walk in the local park. You could maybe take up a sport or listen to classical music – whatever it is, ensure it helps release that pent up stress you may experience during college.

SET BOUNDARIES – Having blurred lines between your social life, college and work can be hugely detrimental. For example, if you start partying at college or studying while with your friends, you can lose direction and organization. Ensure you create boundaries and set aside time for each activity. For example, when with your friends, you could create a boundary that you will not discuss college work or studying. Alternatively, you could create the boundary that your part-time job should never interfere with your revision or school hours.

GET SLEEP – We regularly hear about the benefits of getting more sleep, from maintaining a strong immune system to improving our moods, but we seldom manage to actually implement this advice. Sometimes we get so entrenched in our work that the high amount of stress and large workload can keep us from getting enough sleep. If you really take the time to improve the quality of your sleep, your stress levels will go down and you’ll be able to think more clearly and make fewer mistakes during the day.

Samyukta college work is difficult at the best of times. If you have no clear idea of why you are studying or no end goal, it can be fiendish and tiresome. To help working and your studies, consider what you want to achieve from school. Maybe you want certain grades? Maybe you want to enter a certain university? Maybe you want to get a job in a particular industry? Whatever it is, be clear in your mind what you want to get out of your college years. This will give you drive, focus, and determination – it will also help balance work and college.

Hope this was Helpful Samyukta

Thank You C B. “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” — William Shakespeare John Frick

Thank You for your Continued Support Dexter. The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves. John Frick

4

Patrick’s Answer

1. You do not need to know right now how you're going to spend the rest of your career.
2. Enjoy the process - School is a unique part of your life where you're almost entirely invested in your own growth. Own it, be curious about stuff, and enjoy this part of your life.
3. School grades are in no way an indication of your ability to be successful in life.

1

Nupur’s Answer

Hi Samyukta,

It's important to have a good support system around you. This could be your parent(s), peers, teachers or even a sibling. Secondly, it's important to know that life may not always turn out the way you want it to, but your ability to bounce back from a setback is crucial to the lessons you will learn along the way.

Do not define yourself by your grades, but do have a larger plan in place for your future. The path may not be straightforward but if you have your sense of direction intact, you'll be able to face any challenge and overcome it :)

1

Nupur’s Answer

Hi Samyukta,

0

Nika’s Answer

1. That paper that you've been so stressed about for weeks now will NOT matter. In fact, you most likely won't even remember it 6 months from now.
2. Enjoy every minute to the fullest - you'll never have an experience like school again (all your friends are within close proximity, you can dictate your class schedule, etc.).
3. Take risks and challenge norms. That's the only way to find yourself while you're young and have little to no responsibilities.
4. Take school seriously, but do not take it too seriously.
5. Don't worry if you're not sure what you want to do. Nobody really knows, no matter what they say.

0

Samantha’s Answer

Get involved, even if it is just attending games or going to different events around the school! Embrace the school experience!

On another note, something that people told me that I wish they hadn't is that you shouldn't be in a relationship when you are in college. The summer before I entered college I met my now fiance. He is two years younger than I am so I was in college and he was in high school. I had friends from my hometown and from my college telling me that I shouldn't be in a relationship with anyone and that it wasn't going to work out because he was younger and I was going to meet someone else. I was also told that I was going to miss out on everything because I was "tied down". I am here to tell you that is NOT true. Having a partner in college was so much fun, for me. I had my things at college that I did and he had his things back in our hometown. I came home on weekends to watch him play football in the fall and he came and stayed with me in the spring. He helped me with some really challenging things in my life and was always there. It was comforting to have someone to lean on and support me other than my parents!

0

Rhudaynath’s Answer

EQ vs IQ is something I wish could have learned more about. I learned it while on job in professional life.

Can you provide a little more detail around what you learned and how it was helpful to your career? Gurpreet Lally

0

Shilpa’s Answer

Importance of Reading and Investing, I started it late and still think, someone should have told me during my school time.

0

Krasti’s Answer

I wish someone told me to not stress so much about getting straight A's. While getting good grades is important, it is not the only criteria that will help you land a job that you want. Get involved in extracurricular activities, take on leadership roles in organizations, exhibit self-confidence, and just be yourself. College days are the days when you are not just learning coursework but also still getting to learn more about yourself and who you are. I remembered being very self-critical during college, but there is no need for that. So be easy on yourself and don't let other people's words define who you are. Stay focused and you can control your own future. :)

0

Gina’s Answer

Grades are important-- but not THAT important. It's the life lessons you learn and the people you meet. I played college tennis and was in a sorority-- two of the best experiences i had. Time management skills, organization skills and the relationships you develop will take you much more further down the road.

0

Tia’s Answer

1. Don't sweat the small stuff - don't stress and enjoy life.
2. You will know who your true friends are from the small conversations you have.
3. Enjoy hanging with your family.

0

Supreethkumar’s Answer

I wish somebody told me there are many fields in this world which is far more interesting than BE and MBBS.

Would it be safe to say that you wish you had taken the time to explore other fields? Gurpreet Lally

0

Jemima A.’s Answer

Engage in extracurricular activities too. Leadership , conferences, voluntary jobs and intern. They will help build your skills and CV

Manage your time very well

All the best

0

Helen’s Answer

The best answer I think is

Don't Worry - or sweat the small stuff,
Make friends this will make it more enjoyable and they can also be your studying buddies.
Do your absolute best and have no regrets.

0

Raghunandan’s Answer

Few things I wish I had learnt;

a) Goal setting is necessary for growth as a human being
b) Take risks and embrace failures. They are stepping stones for growth and it is OK to fail.
c) Challenge traditions and get curious

0

Kevin’s Answer

* Use the time to learn and master how to work and communicate with others around you. This will be foundational skills you carry for the rest of your life.

* The school you go to carries some weight as you get in front of prospective employers upon graduation but it will be less important after several years of experience. (i.e Going to a state school vs more recognized private school). One simply can network themselves to get pass this.

* Appreciate your parents for their sacrifice to get you where you are. When you are in school, there's still ample time to spend with them. Once you work and have your own family, it's a lot harder to balance that.

0