Networking virtually?

What are some tips for networking with potential employers when everything is online?

#july20 #law #covid19 #virtual #legal #july

10

Kiran’s Answer

Hi Emma - Virtual networking has become the norm for making connections in this pandemic. With most people working remote, the majority of events have quickly adapted to digital platforms in order to bring communities together on the internet and it has become as easy as just a few clicks. Here are a few tips:

1. Leverage Google or LinkedIn for research to find common ground or learn what they've been up to. Make note of the most salient pieces of information and think about how you can incorporate them into your outreach. Comment on interesting articles related to your industry or type of job you are looking for on LinkedIn. Find new companies of interest to follow

2. Start with a list. When was the last time you sat down and thought about who you know, who you'd like to know, or who you'd like to know better?

3. Use tools that can help you get the best of virtual networking experience such as Zoom, Google Chat, Skype etc.

4. Prepare yourself as you would have for a in-person networking event

Someone said this brilliantly "Networking virtually or in-person is about building mutually beneficial relationships. Both parties walk away feeling like they've gained something."

Good Luck!

1

EmilyAnn’s Answer

Networking has been huge for me during my virtual internship this summer. Here are a few things I did that helped me make connections despite working virtually:

- Being *active* on LinkedIn - not just connecting with people, but having a presence in their feed. This might be something like sending a note with your connection request or commenting on a post. It makes the platform much more personal, and the person will notice that you are supporting them on their social media!

- Setting up virtual lunches/social hours with new groups of people - even if all the attendees are strangers! Maybe you all have one thing in common, which will give you a great place to start the conversation. If you are looking to be hired here, this is a great way to get different perspectives on the work environment. Generally people appreciate the opportunity to take a short break from their busy work day and will be happy to connect with you.

- Setting up *one-on-one* virtual lunches/coffee chats - just like the previous one, this really can apply to networking with a potential employer or even someone in your organization you may already know. A one-on-one chat is more personal and it will be easier to steer the conversation where you want. If you are working around busy schedules, even just 15 minutes can make an impact on someone's day. This is a great way to catch up, learn more about a role/company, or strengthen a relationship with someone. Be sure to follow up with a quick thank-you!

- Attend a virtual conference or webinar and ask questions. Then, follow up with whoever answered your question (referencing it so they remember who you are!) to thank them, even asking for a follow-up conversation if you want more information.

I'm no expert and these are just some things that have worked for me, but there are plenty of ways to network virtually as long as you get creative!

0

Belén’s Answer

Hi Emma,

I would like to tell you that I changed my job with all my interviews online (during July 2020), it's was a complete new situation for me and at the same time was great. Don´t worried to try new things, the companies and people are preparing the tools and their minds to the new normal.

Good luck Emma!

0

Networking virtually has been crucial to my internship during the pandemic. You will need to have a camera for video meetings so you can ensure employers can see you and it makes it feel more personal. This also shows them that they have your complete attention. Try finding group relevant to you on LinkedIn

0

Barbara’s Answer

Hi Emma,
Are there professional organizations that you could join and then attend their virtual events? Meeting people in professional groups is a good way to make connections for jobs.
Have a virtual networking session with your friends, where each friend invites another person. Share resources with each other.
Network at free women's networking groups, such as Lean In, which have a lot of women supporting each other with common interests, job leads, etc.
I'm not certain the type of work you want to do, but find friends of friends doing it, and ask for an informational interview.
All these approaches would work too when you are not virtual!
Barbara

0

Steve’s Answer

I like to use ZOOM calls to network with potentials. Very efficient tool and no CV-19 risks either. Use Linked In and INDEED to get to potential employers, and get them to reach out to you. Then set up a ZOOM call and sell yourself.

Happy networking!

0

Steve’s Answer

Happy networking!

0

James’s Answer

A good place to begin networking is to use websites such as LinkedIn and set up a profile that allows potential employers to see you and connect based on your interesting. Professional organizations are also good places to connect but some may not have direct virtual pages. Other possibilities include online job clearing houses although those may require you to up load a resume'. Good luck!

0

Gina’s Answer

LinkedIn should be at the top of your list. From there you can find organizations to be a part of. also maybe creating a virtual group of your own-- or finding people in your community to join in. Lots of women's groups also have opportunities to network.

0

Mona’s Answer

https://www.meetup.com/ This is where I find networking events, and other clubs as well. It is a create way to network and meet members of your community

0