can a student get a full-time job?

Very good character with a great personality. Disciplined and respectful. Hard worker and determined. Leader and Team worker. Punctual and prompt. Ambitious and Determined. Hands on and co-operative. Good grammar and communication skills. #career #business #fun #sonogram #artist #fashion #fashion designer #models #fashion-design #modeling #writer #author #book

11

Caryn’s Answer

Hi Candice,

You can absolutely be a student and have a full time job. I did it all throughout college and my 1st year working. You have to learn how to manage your time and make sure that you do not forget to also include some mental health time for yourself because as it can be stressful to manage a full load of school and work.

I know this might be easier said than done, but if you can find a job in the Industry you think you want to be in after graduation. That could be a big boost to your resume because you could have 4 years of work experience that touches elements of the field you want to work in after you graduate. Best of luck!

Caryn

0

Hi Candice,

It is not uncommon for students to have a job during their time in college - whether it be a part-time job or a full-time job. Some students may decide to get a job to earn some income to pay off college tuition, to have some extra spending money, to get experience in their field of choice, or maybe all of the above!

One of the key things to keep in mind is that having a job while handling a full course load will require good time management skills to have a chance at being successful in managing everything on your plate. These skills can be learned and there no better way to learn than actually doing it! If you are successful in handling everything, I think it will be a good story to tell when you are recruiting for jobs down the road, as it will demonstrate tangible skills in time management and hard work. In addition, if you're able to get a job that correlates to your major, you're able to get valuable work experience that will look great on your resume.

All of this experience will prove valuable as you enter the workforce (and in life in general) so there are definitely some good benefits to be gained!

Good luck with your decision,
John

0

Serena’s Answer

Hi Candice,
It is possible to have job in your after school hours since you are still a student,
a full time job would mean you need to completely leave school and devote your time into the job solely.
while you are completing your studies as a student,
there are a lot of options to choose from if you want to kickstart your career or earn income.

A good way is to sign up for freelancing on sites such as Fiver or Thumbtack,
you can list out your skills - be it english proofreading, tutoring, website editing, drawing etc.,
then complete your profile by saying why you would be an ideal candidate it offering these skills,
once your posting is out, potential customers will contact you.
One thing great about freelancing is that it offers you much greater time flexibility,
and also geographic flexibility as all you need is the computer and internet,
so you can fit in jobs according to your daily schedule in the best way.

Alternatively, you can look for jobs around your local community that you can travel to,
if you prefer to work in person with your clients.
Hope the above helps!

Regards,
Serena

0

Jason’s Answer

Hi Candice,

I know first hand that yes this can be done but it may not be worth the sacrifice. I worked full time while carrying a full load of college level classes. It only worked for me because I was able to navigate both schedules which is something that not everyone can do. It felt like I only had time for work, school and limited sleep (as I was up very late most nights or into the morning completing assignments). Here is the tradeoff I found: My social life was virtually non-existent, my family relationships took a bit of a hit, my heath suffered a but due to stress and lack of exercise. That said I was able to graduate with honors while meeting my full time work expectations (40 hours/week in the US) at the same time. I would not necessarily recommend this for everyone, but there are times in life where sacrifices need to be made and in my situation it was the best course of action a the time. Good Luck!

0

Bill’s Answer

Candice, that is a very good question. The personal traits you listed are very valuable and helpful. There are a couple of routes you could go here:

1. If you plan to or currently attend high school or college full time, the answer is NO, you will simply not have enough time to be a good full-time student AND a work a full-time job. In this case, while in school, go for a part-time job in your field of interest. And frankly, unless you are extremely self-disciplined, orderly, and can deny yourself some current pleasures for future reward, working PT for more than 15-18 hours a week is a real challenge,. Don't compromise your physical or mental heath through overworking yourself.

NOTE: If you are in college, PT work for the college may be easier to fit in because colleges will often adjust your work hours around your class schedules. Even then, no more than 20 work hours per week, less if you are an engineering, medical, or maths major.

2. If you plan to attend college part-time (say a 2-year or vocational school), you can usually stretch out your college credits over several years ot allow time for a full-time job while taking courses. You may need to take night courses to avoid conflict with a day job, or vice versa. Again, some (perhaps less severe) personal sacrifices may be in order, particularly in social life and vacation time, because of the dual time commitment.

Bill recommends the following next steps:

Be a good student first. Find ways to make your student life more efficient to free up time you could spend working.
Saved!
Get a PT job that will help you with job skills and will fit your schedule, even if it may not be your first choice of career areas. Learn the basics of the work environment.
Saved!
Look for ways to apply your education to your work and vice versa so they complement each other and so they may help you find ways to devote more hours to work while not compromising your education.
Saved!
Be patient with yourself. It is not necessary to do everything at once. If fact, it is better to go a bit slower than "warp speed" to allow yourself time to reflect on what you are learning on the job and in school, and how your busy life feels to you along the way.
Saved!
Give yourself permission to make timely large or small course corrections, as necessary, as you grow.
Saved!

0

Lauren’s Answer

Hi Candice,

To answer your question I think it sort of depends if you are in high school or college as well as if you are a full-time or part-time student. At the high school level I don't necessarily think you'll have the time to work full-time. As for college, I think a lot if it depends on your status as a student that is whether you're part-time or full-time, but also what your coursework looks like that academic year. You have described some really great personality traits which can definitely put you at an advantage to be able to work full-time while being a student. When I attended college, I had two part-time work study jobs as well as a part-time internship on top of my studies. If you are able to manage your time and really prioritize getting your studies done on your down time, I think it's definitely an option to consider after taking into account your course load for the academic year.

0

Nathan’s Answer

Yes, of course you can. As long as you have the qualifications and requirements, I don't see what's stopping you. I was doing part time bachelor study and full time work at a local pharmacy at one time. It was out of necessity but was very difficult in terms of keeping up with the school work and maintaining a social life. Not a very good strategy in my opinion, but I've seen other excelled doing so.

0

Simeon’s Answer

A student could get a full-time job during college, but you would likely be doing night time classes to do so. It can be manageable, but be open to scaling back your hours if you find that the workload is too heavy at first. Talk to your professors to let them know what you're up to and see if they can assist in any way, such as allowing you to get started on assignments ahead of time. Structure your calendar week so that classes are back to back so you don't have to spend too many hours commuting to and from campus. Full-time work can be an especially good choice if it's related to the field you're wanting to get into as you will be able to think about your classes from a realistic perspective and also be building up your resume.

0

Teneil’s Answer

While a student could have a full-time job the answer has to be it depends. Some things to consider
1) Is it full-time where there are opportunities throughout the day to complete your studies(lunch breaks, flexible working hours etc.)
2) Is the full-time job in an area that you are interested in pursuing a career. Does the job provide hands-on experience in a field you are interested in?
3) Do you have to attend your classes in person/virtually and are tests taken on very specific days that may be difficult for you to make with the requirements of your job.
4) If you are needing to work to support yourself through your studies - have you considered studying part time?

I hope this is helpful as you move forward in making your decision.

0

Nikki’s Answer

While you may not be able to work full time during the school year while also taking classes, you might be able to work full-time at an internship or job in the summer. There are often many summer job or internship opportunities available to students during summer break. I would suggest looking for those types of opportunities. You could also start out working part-time as a student while taking classes.

Here are some places to search for summer jobs/internships:
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/search?keywords=&location=&geoId=&trk=public_jobs_jobs-search-bar_search-submit&position=1&pageNum=0
https://www.indeed.com/
https://www.monster.com/
There are many other places to search online too. Also, if you are in college, your school might have a career center that can help you find good options.

0

Rebecca’s Answer

Yes you definitely could. You will probably have to schedule your class times around your work times or take classes online, but it is doable. My husband finished his college degree online while working full time in the Insurance industry.

0