What's it like to be in Career Village?

I have autism. My life was very rough with it. I was struggling in school all these years because I mad some of my teachers mad in the past. All I want is to graduate and go to college so that I can get a job. I have my parents to support me. I sometimes like to dabble in arts-and-crafts. When I enter college, I would like to enroll in STEM. I know it may be hard, but I hope that when I graduate, I would have the talent in a few technology jobs like computer science.

5

Jo Ann’s Answer

Hi Callum,

My youngest son is also in the Autism spectrum and I I believe that even though you may face some unique challenges, you are capable of pursuing and achieving your dreams. My dad used to tell me that it is not a matter of ability, it is a matter on how hard you are willing to work for what you want. If you want to pursue a career in computer science, go for it!

There is a lot of career opportunities in the computer science field. It is a broad field. Web development is just one of the many opportunities. Web development does allow you to tap into your creative side as well.

Check out this website for more information on opportunities within the computer science field.
https://www.coursera.org/articles/computer-science-jobs-for-the-future

1

Leo’s Answer

A few of us (not sure how many) are answering questions for free.

The staff behind CareerVillage.org is probably getting paid. If they are, then they are most likely going to be Software Engineers. So if you want to have a similar job (maintaining a web page/forum/etc), then yes, studying Computer Science would allow you to work in this area.
1

Rudy’s Answer

Hi Callum

My daughter is combining her passion for Music with Computer science. Many colleges offer degrees where you can combine different fields.
Check out Northeastern University "Combined Majors" section - link provided below.

STEM can be challenging, but also very stimulating. Most colleges will accommodate learners and will provide a wide range of support options.
I imagine that working at CareerVillage with a combined/SW and Arts degree would be very interesting.

Hope this helps

Rudy recommends the following next steps:

https://www.northeastern.edu/admissions/academics/areas-of-study/_ga=2.163870783.1256455611.1621604703-1568550094.1617813947
1

Mickael’s Answer

I guess that depends which side of careerVillage you are looking at.

If you are looking from our perspective (our means the professional answering questions) then I think it's great. It's great to be able to guide young people to find answers to their tough questions (I wish I had that opportunity). From us, we are just taking on our time.

If you are talking about developing the service, that mostly mean being a software developer or moderator. Since your summary is mentioning STEM and technology, I will stay focused on the software developer part.
Be a software developer, in CareerVillage or somewhere else means that you constantly have to check for feedback, develop the tool to meet the user's expectations and make sure your service remains available. There are also people who are managing the server where the code is running, depending on where your server is running. Some persons will also be more IT oriented, or devops oriented, providing the tools and infrastructures for the developers to write and test the software.

Computer science is broader than just developing applications and website like careervillage but that will be the thing to do.
0