31
Asked 1754 views

Is a Business Major a good fit?

Hi, I am a junior in High school looking at graduating with an Associate's and hoping to nail down a major. I previously thought about psychology or creative writing but they don't feel like the right fit. I really enjoy writing and want to find a job I can be creative with. I also want a challenge, and something with a changing work pace that keeps me engaged. I was looking at creative directing but I know that is an end game career. What jobs would allow me to pitch ideas, work on projects, or allow me to make ideas into a reality? At the same time I am hoping those projects wouldn't be only numbers on a screen. With this in mind, would business fit? If so, any ideas? I am finding it hard to narrow down any careers. Thank you.

31

0

deborah’s Answer

Hello Ava! Based on my experience, it looks like an Advertising or Marketing career would be in your future. So, yes a Business Major could be a great step in preparing for a related career.

You will want to research colleges that have strong Marketing or Advertising programs within their College of Business. It will tap into your interest in creativity and psychology, and leverage it in a marketing job. Some example jobs:

Marketing - marketing manager, product manager, social media manager, marketing communications manager
Advertising/promotion - account executive in agency, or advertising manager with a company

I hope you find my answer helpful to you. Good luck!
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much for the advice. Ava
0
0

Christopher’s Answer

Trading psych & writing for business? Fear not! Let your creativity bloom in marketing's story-crafting playground, or launch your own ventures as a fearless entrepreneur. Product management blends biz & creativity, letting you see concepts on shelves! Beyond biz, strategic design solves problems with creative flair, while communication roles let you tell impactful stories. Remember, your major is a stepping stone, not a box. This career journey is yours to explore, so embrace the process, trust your gut, and watch your creativity take flight!
Thank you comment icon I am really grateful you took the time to answer this question. Ava
0
0

Mary-Catherine’s Answer

This is a great question! Majoring in business is a great idea no matter where your career may bring you. It is a great foundation. It sounds to me Marketing may be appealing to you if you need to narrow down business a bit further based on your posted question as it can really challenge your creativity.
0
0

Amalya’s Answer

Hi Ava,

I am really impressed by the way you consider your future and career options! It’s obvious that you have an aesthetic nature and creative personality traits. NO matter which industry you will work in, do keep writing and developing your artistic skills. What refers to generating and realizing ideas, there are various options for that goal. Based on the way you write and interpret reality, I think the academic/research career may be right for you. Being a researcher or lecturer, you will be able to work on scientific and academic projects, suggesting and implementing different ideas. You can also become a journalist, representing different life stories, evaluating them, and helping others be heard by your profession.
When it comes to business career, it definitely can give you opportunities to generate and implement ideas: Creativity is necessary in every field, and business creativity is a common term these days. So consider each option in detail and decide which one can be a better career path for you.
I wish you all the best.
0
0

Barbara’s Answer

That's an awesome question you've got there! Remember, the major you pick doesn't have to box you into a specific career. It might be fun to explore a variety of creative classes, like writing or arts. Consider majors like marketing, advertising, or even graphic and production design. And don't forget about business courses! Even if business isn't your main focus, these classes can give you a solid base if you ever decide to launch your own venture. Wishing you all the best on your exciting journey of exploration!
0
0

Great question! Based on your interests, it sounds like a career in marketing or advertising could be a good fit for you. In these fields, you would have the opportunity to pitch creative ideas, work on projects, and see your ideas come to life. You could work in a variety of industries, from fashion to technology to food and beverage.

Within marketing and advertising, there are a variety of roles you could pursue. Some options include:

- Copywriter: In this role, you would write copy for ads, websites, and other marketing materials. You would need to be creative and have a way with words.
- Art director: As an art director, you would be responsible for the visual elements of a campaign. You would work with designers and photographers to create ads, billboards, and other materials.
- Brand manager: In this role, you would be responsible for developing and executing a brand's marketing strategy. You would need to be able to think creatively and strategically.
- Social media manager: As a social media manager, you would be responsible for creating and executing a brand's social media strategy. You would need to be creative and have a good understanding of social media platforms.

Business could also be a good fit for you, particularly if you're interested in entrepreneurship. As a business owner, you would have the opportunity to be creative and work on projects that interest you. You could start your own business or work for a startup.

Ultimately, the best way to figure out what career is right for you is to gain experience through internships, part-time jobs, or volunteer work. This will give you a better sense of what you enjoy and what you're good at. Good luck!
0
0

Stefan’s Answer

Hello Ava,

Your post clearly reflects your creative spirit and the quest to find a major that can harness this creativity for a fruitful future. I believe a business major could be an excellent fit for you. This choice offers the opportunity to explore diverse aspects of business, ranging from marketing and accounting to communications and more.

Drawing from my own college experience, I was initially uncertain about my major. However, introductory classes played a pivotal role in helping me discover my strengths and passions. I trust you'll find a similar path.

Remember, your chosen major is not a limitation but a launchpad. It doesn't confine you to specific career paths post-college. It's just a stepping stone towards your broader career journey. I hope you find this advice useful and encouraging.
0
0

Samantha’s Answer

Hello Ava, it certainly appears that the business world could be an excellent fit for your talents. The realm of business is vast and diverse, offering numerous paths to explore. Marketing, in particular, could be an exciting avenue for you to channel your creativity. It would allow you to shift your focus from numbers to more engaging aspects like writing and design. It's a fantastic opportunity to showcase your unique skills.
0
0

Emily’s Answer

Hi! After hearing about your interests, I think that marketing would be a good major for you to choose. This allows you to be creative and come up with unique marketing campaigns and you don't have to work with numbers a ton. Business is also a good major to choose in college because most universities have you take intro courses to all the business majors, so you can sample each one and see which one is a good fit. If you want to do something more creative not related to business, you could always choose a minor for your interest in creative writing, while majoring in business. This could help you get a job you want in the future, as it would give you a leg up as you have an education in something you're interested in.
0
0

Michelle’s Answer

Hello, Ava !

It's wonderful that you have given a lot of thought to how you want to spend your future. You have described Advertising, so I would suggest going into advertising or public relations for the duties you mention that you prefer.

If you major in Business find out the exact majors, like Business Management or Business Administration, etc., and other concentrations for Business. You can minor in Mass Media, Communications or anything that will teach the fundamentals of advertising. I have left a link to a list of your local colleges for you to explore. Read their websites and see what exact courses are contained in the Business Major and which schools have a Mass Media program that you can minor in. I would suggest getting your Bachelors degree and than if you have the means to do so, a Masters degree.

There are a wide range of jobs you can have with a business degree and many websites list those careers, but a lot deal with numbers which you said you didn't want. If it was me, I would Major in Communications which would cover a wide range of media. This is because you've said that you want something in which you can be creative and see your ideas become reality. You can go a few different ways. Although a degree in Business is one of those degrees that transfers to several types of work, a lot of first hand reading will help you decide which major is best for what you plan to do. It's great that you have the writing skills already which will only progress when you are in college.

It might be a good idea to visit the various schools as well. You can get a first hand glimpse of what the campus is like and ask questions of the staff and students. See if any of them have an orientation that you can attend. That would bring things to light for you. I would suggest doing this as soon as possible so that perhaps by your senior year next year you can make set plans for a major and college enrollment.

I hope that this was a bit of help and I wish you all the best !

Michelle recommends the following next steps:

COLLEGES https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges-near/minnesota/elk-river/
JOBS WITH A COMMUNICATIONS DEGREE https://www.themuse.com/advice/communications-major-degree-jobs
Thank you comment icon Thank you, Michelle! Ava
0
0

Ken’s Answer

It will require some work on your part. Try to contact some people who are doing things you want to do and ask them how to get started.
Thank you comment icon Good point, Ken! Can you suggest some ways Ava can search out people that would be a good resource? Sharyn Grose, Admin
Thank you comment icon Call a company ask ask for the person in charge of the department of interest. You could always email the company HR or PR department. Ken Luft
0
0

Stacey’s Answer

Hello Ava,
I'm a recruiter, and I just wanted to let you know that a Business Degree is a versatile choice, especially if you're still figuring things out and want to keep your future possibilities wide open.
0
0

Moataz’s Answer

Choosing a major can be an important decision, and it's great that you're considering your interests and career goals. A business major can indeed offer a versatile foundation that aligns with your desire to be creative, work on projects, and turn ideas into reality. Here are some areas within a business major that might be a good fit for your interests:

Marketing:

Description: Marketing involves promoting products or services, and it often requires creativity. You could work on advertising campaigns, content creation, and social media strategies.
Advertising:

Description: Similar to marketing, advertising focuses on creating and delivering persuasive messages to target audiences. This field involves creativity, copywriting, and visual design.
Entrepreneurship:

Description: If you enjoy creating your own projects and ideas, entrepreneurship might be a good fit. This involves starting and managing your own business.
Management and Leadership:

Description: If you're interested in overseeing projects and teams, a focus on management or leadership can provide the skills to lead and execute ideas.
Innovation and Product Development:

Description: This area involves bringing new products or services to market. You can be involved in the creative process of developing and launching innovative ideas.
Business Development:

Description: Business development professionals work to identify opportunities for growth, partnerships, and expansion. This role often involves strategic thinking and project management.
Public Relations:

Description: Public relations professionals manage the public image of a company or individual. This can include crafting messages, managing events, and working on communication strategies.
Event Planning:

Description: Event planning is a creative field within business where you can organize and execute events. This can range from small meetings to large conferences.
Sales:

Description: Sales involves persuading customers to purchase a product or service. It can be a dynamic and challenging field that requires effective communication and relationship-building skills.
Digital Marketing:

Description: With the increasing importance of online presence, digital marketing focuses on strategies for the digital space, including social media, content creation, and online advertising.
When pursuing a business major, consider choosing concentrations or electives that align with your specific interests. Additionally, gaining practical experience through internships, projects, or extracurricular activities can help you develop real-world skills and make informed career choices.

Remember that your choice of major is not a rigid commitment, and many professionals find success in fields that may not directly align with their college major. It's more about acquiring skills, gaining experiences, and adapting your education to your evolving interests and goals.
0
0

Megan’s Answer

Hi Ava,

From what you have shared- graphic design, marketing and communications come to mind. I had similar interests to you. I was a communications major with a creative writing minor. What I loved about communications was it had a lot of cross over with the theatre major and I was able to take some really great theatre courses. My favorite I took was an education theatre course that helped run a weeklong theatre summer camp for kids. What I think will be most helpful to you is finding some internships that align with your interests. Business and Communications are both general degrees that need to be paired with experience. I would look into internships to help guide you in your career exploration. I suggest looking at Disney Professional Internships since they have many creative aligned internships.

I hope this helps!
0
0

Kitten’s Answer

It's great that you are exploring career options and in that journey you will discover things that fit and those that don't by interviewing some local businesses in your area. You might detour during the process, but that's how we learn, from those experiences.
There are many avenues for creative writing and there is a demand for it, particularly in social media. You can explore the world of digital ebooks with Kindle as well. The possibilities are endless. Research types of creative writing or look through a job search engine for salary ideas.
Since the world of psychology is also of interest, with your creativity and leadership skills, you might investigate Art Therapy. It is a lucrative career that helps a lot process trauma and emotions through art. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN has a library of information that would be a good resource for you. If you're unable to visit them, they can mail you educational materials.
Here is a link for information to see if it might be of interest.
Good luck in your exploration toward your future goals.

https://mcpress.mayoclinic.org/living-well/the-intersection-of-art-and-health-how-art-can-help-promote-well-being/
0
0

Hilary’s Answer

Hello Ava --
Oh WOW. You have a lot of great skill sets. How about Marketing ? Marketing is creative in creation of ideas.
Business has several careers to consider. Project Managers in all disciplines also have to be creative to achieve their goals.
Business has many avenues that you can explore. Look into several schools to see what types of business degrees they offer. That will give you an idea of what opportunities may interest you.
0
0