How do I move to a different job market?

Updated San Jose, California

I am based in the SF Bay Area. I am considering to move out of it after I graduate college with a degree in advertising. Some places I am considering are Seattle, Austin, Portland, or Los Angeles. I love the Bay Area but its really expensive to live here. I eventually want to get my own place without having to spend an absurd amount of money on rent or live with a lot of roommates. I am totally down to relocate but I need some advice on how I should go about doing that. How do I show recruiters and employers that I am willing to relocate? Any tips or related advice about relocating would be super helpful! Thank you! #job-search #business #marketing-and-advertising #advertising #relocation #job-search-strategies #travel #business-development #sales

Austin’s Answer

Updated Washington, Washington

Ben, great question. When I was applying to jobs, I also was interested in getting out of where I went to school (Washington D.C.) but encountered some of the same hurdles that you seem to be facing. Now I do not know if you are applying to large firms and companies that do advertising, but I would encourage you to do so if you are looking into breaking into other job markets across the country. While smaller boutique firms can be a great experience, chances are that they do not have as many locations and internal mobility will be difficult. Large firms and companies have locations all around the country/world and mobility geographically and within the company is much easier to do as they are more familiar with the process.

When you apply to jobs, be sure to note on the application your willingness to travel and relocate. On all the job applications that I filled out, there was a question about willingness to relocate as well as willingness to travel. Always fill out this question as it is one of the ways that companies gauge your flexibility; the more flexible and adaptable you are the better. I told my company that I am willing to travel up to 100% of the time and am willing to move anywhere geographically; this doesn't mean that I will travelling all the time, it just affords me the chance to do so if an opportunity comes up.

If you get contacted by a recruiter via phone/email, be sure to tell them your desires. The recruiter is the person who is going to be advocating for you so there is no way for the company know your desire to break out of the Bay Area unless you tell the recruiter. If possible tell your recruiter multiple times your wishes so as to really get the message across; don't call and harass your recruiter daily, but if they call you be sure to emphasize your willingness to relocate. I had 4 phone calls with my recruiter at PwC and I told him every time about my willingness to travel and move.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!!

Best,

Austin

Thank you Austin! This was super helpful!

Sieraaj’s Answer

Hey Ben, I’d like to keep my answer as real as possible. Relocating is no easy task but there are a few factors that may work in your favor. It’s much easier to get a job in the same area where you live. Out of state applicants may be a higher risk for some emplyers and their first choice is almost always local. So if you have family in another state willing to accommodate you, it would be ideal. Alternatively, another way to go about it is to get in contact with recruitment agencies; to name a few that seek talent nation wide, creative circle, creative group, 24 Seven. It’s a good start and there’s no rush. Good luck!
Thank you for your answer!

Shaina’s Answer

Updated Portland, Oregon

Great question. I've relocated 3 times for a job and have used the following techniques to help me move past the barriers and challenges that previous answers talked about with companies preferring to hire locally.

1. Include details about your relocation in the cover letter - Be detailed here. Why are you moving, and more importantly how can this company trust that you will want to stay there long term? Do you have personal ties, are your specifically targeting that particular city? A company and hiring manager will want to have confidence that you will be worth the time, effort and cost to interview, hire, wait for you to move, and then onboard you once you start.
  2. Plan a trip out there for some period of time (ex 1 week) so you can set up some interviews - Include this plan and the dates in your cover letter. This will not only convince them that you are serious, but that you are already taking the initiative to interview, look for housing, etc. It also helps the company eliminate the need to set up lodging/flights for you. However, also let them know that you are flexible on timing should they want to fly you out at some other time. It's also possible that you'll have one or more interviews before you go for an in-person interview anyway.
  3. Be open to the possibility of working remotely - Although I haven't used this strategy, you can always look for a job that lets your work remotely. Then you will be free to move to any location you want.

Vivek’s Answer

Updated California, California
I would suggest checking out with some of your friends/relatives from those areas and if possible take a short trip to get the feel of the place before making a move. Check out some forums to find out job prospects and advancement opportunities in the cities of your interest. While living costs may be more affordable in some of these cities the salaries ARE ALSO PROPORTIONALLY lower. Take an alround approach. Good luck.

Eula’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

Dear Ben L,

Glad to give you my perspective on this.

You seem to have an intuitive idea of what you want to do, a general idea but not a specific one and do not seem to have not a definite direction. It would be very easy for me to tell you what and how, but you must be the one to set the direction. To do this, you must dig deeper into your psyche. If you don’t do the ‘thinking it through work’ you might find yourself in a spot that you did not really want. “If you don’t know where you are going, you might end up anywhere” (Wizard of Oz)

If you make a ½ degree error on your navigation systems or on a map, you will end up 100 miles away and on a long journey. Your navigation system is your own mind and thoughts. Your deep ‘me’ that tells you what your life is meant to be.

Find a quiet place where you will not be interrupted or distracted and ask yourself the 7 layer questions, to clarify your ideas about your future.

#1. Make a plan. And write it down.

And ask yourself the basic questions; All the interrogatives: Where, Who, What, When, How much, How many. Repeat this 7 times to go 7 layers deep.

The most important one is: Which job? - What company?

Where exactly in those cities? Closest to work? most convenient? most affordable? Most private? Most comfortable? Safest? where?

Your # 1 priority is to save money NOW, for the ideal future place. In this way you have options and do not act under pressure.

Your # 2 Task is to make a timeline.

Once you know where you are going. Break it down from months to weeks to days, and know exactly when to pack, what to give away, what to sell (need time for this one too) and when to call the moving company or to haul it yourself.

Your # 3 Task is to start searching for the perfect job,

Not what is out there, but what you are looking for. The ideal job, the perfect company, and the position where you will be the happiest and can contribute the most.

Be honest, tell the truth, and say you are open to relocation. Don’t settle for what is offered. Be frank and candid up front, many companies are willing to wait for you if you are the right fit and understand you need advance notice to move and settle down.

In fact, this is nothing new, people already do this all the time.

Next is # 4 on the list, Discover the City. find out as much as you can about the cities you intend to go. Seattle is so beautiful and coastal, but it also rains a lot and I hear it’s dark and dreary. Are you ready for that ? Austin is very hot in the summer and Los Angeles has their annual drought and scorching fires every year. Apartments are expensive in all three areas.

Do your homework and all this work, online, online, online. The fastest, and with a broad radar. Check out : Linked-IN, there are always job postings there, as there are many other websites, careerbuilder, indeed, quest, monster and many others.

About the tips. Don’t haul the entire mansion, it is very costly and time consuming. This is the perfect opportunity to get rid of some old stuff you don’t use or need anyway. Pictures, and memories keep them, anything else, lighten yourself up, so that the move is less cumbersome. Packing fragile items is the most fastidious, and valuables, always carry them in your bag with you.

Once you start paying for plane tickets, hauling, storage and put a down payment on a place, you will have to fight hard to get any of it back or make changes if you change your mind.

Let me know if this helps OK, and if you need clarification or have any other questions, remember we are always here for you.

Eula recommends the following next steps:

• Have some extra muscles to help you, on a second or third floor.
  • The job is the priority, everything dances around this. Do your homework early.
  • Be disciplined. Do not leave everything for the last minute. It will put you under pressure and make you nervous. Easier to lose things or to forget things important
  • Be organized. Know where everything is, and label all boxes and put your name on them
  • Put it on a calendar in a place that you see every day. this reminds you of the things you must do and the time left to do it.
WOW! Thanks for this information. This was super helpful!
You're welcome Ben L. Anytime.