74
Asked 5085 views

What is your definition of failure?

I have seen people struggle in different ways based on the task or project we take up. Does that mean we all struggle in the same way? #college

74

8

Carter’s Answer

Hey Murtaza,

This is a great question!

Everybody is unique and has their own definition on what constitutes true failure for them. We all do not struggle the same way. In my experiences throughout my own life and my career path, true failure is when you commit your very being into something (whether it be an assignment, major exam, job etc.), you fall short of your expectations, and then ultimately give up because you cannot cope with the fact that you could not hit your objective. I believe that when you give up, that is when you fail. It's crucial to understand that whatever endeavors/goals you set for yourself in life, you cannot let setbacks stop you from achieving your goals. Failure breeds success. Some of the most successful people in this world have failed a countless amount of times before they ever became successful. Failure is often times necessary because it will force you to think/act differently. You will learn so much through failure, always be cognizant of that!

Good luck in your journey my friend!
8
5

Jimmy’s Answer

I believe as long as you genuinely embark on something, you either win or you learn, there is no failure. As one of my favorite shows puts it
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" Wayne Gretzky -Michael Scott

Thank you comment icon Great point Jimmy. There is no failure in learning. And extra up votes for the Michael Scott hockey reference! Melisa Cameron
5
2

Dee’s Answer

My definition of failure is "not trying". If you don't try you won't learn anything and that's failure. I think it is all in your mindset. There is a book

called "ADAPT: Why Success Always Starts with Failure". Everything is trial and error and there is always room for improvement. It is always a

journey to learn and adapt along the way.
2
1

Debjeet’s Answer

I will keep it short and sweet. My definition of failure has always been a small roadblock on your way towards your goal. Nothing more. Always keep in mind that "Failure is the pillar of success."
1
1

Chirayu’s Answer

I think failure is generally defined as the inability to achieve a desired outcome or objective. Failure can occur in different ways and can be relative to each individual's circumstances, goals, and expectations. People can have different interpretations and experiences of failure, and it can also vary in its severity and impact. Ultimately, failure is a part of the learning and growth process and can be used as an opportunity to reflect, improve, and ultimately succeed.
1
1

Sofia’s Answer

Hi Murtaza H.,

Once I read this and I never forget:
F.A.I.L. - "First attemp in learning"

;)
1
1

Piyush’s Answer

Hey Murtaza, term 'failure' is just one's perspective. To some its seen as lessons learnt, whereas to others its a realisation to do something more.

We have been raised from the childhood to understand the definition of the success and its so much in our DNA that when we are not able to achieve something that we thought we could, we term that state as 'failure'. Now there might be many reasons behind the why and what of the situation that led to the moment. But, at that moment, the most important questions one must ask him/herself are:

1. Have I given my best to what I wanted to do?
2. Have I learnt anything from it?
3. Do I know what I want to do next?

If at that moment one can answers of all the above three questions, one understands the perspective and definition behind the term "Failure". To some its seen as lessons learnt, whereas to others its a realisation to do something more.

1
0

Charles R’s Answer

My definition of failure is not trying at all. There are many things you will not initially succeed at from the start. If you never start something that you think maybe to difficult, then you have already failed.
0
0

Anaya’s Answer

Failure for me is just a step in the ladder to accomplish my goals. It is an opportunity to do better than I did before.
0
0

Bindu’s Answer

The definition of failure depends on the way we see things. Sometimes we feel we are failing while actually we are succeeding. More than success and failure, we need to break the success path into small milestones and celebrate each time we achieve.

It does not matter much if we lose the final battle but the steps we went through change us a lot in a way that makes us feel we are not same anymore.

So Winning the battle might be the target but every step we follow to get success is necessary.

So keep trying irrespective of success or failure.
0
0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Murtaza! I think failure is different for everyone. We all struggle in different ways but it's how we see failure that really defines us. Some people can see failure as success because they learn from their mistakes and therefore it is not a loss. I don't think failure is necessarily a bad thing because in the end we do grow as we learn from it. We become better if we can take our failures and make a lesson out of it!

I hope this helps!
0
0

Melisa’s Answer

Hi Murtaza,

Thank you for your thoughtful question. You have a lot of great responses here. For me, failure is simply not accomplishing the goal I've set-out to complete. And I think we do all struggle in different ways, just like we learn and grow differently. What may be a struggle for me might not be for someone else.

It truly doesn't mean the project or goal was not a success. Often, planning an executing a project leads to insight that can help for a future assignment and going through failure can make your next initiative even better because of what you took the time to learn, evaluate and analyze.

"Don't be afraid to fail, just make the choice to fail forward. Use it to learn, grow and become the you who you were meant to be." - Author Jon Gordon

Best wishes to you in your future educational and career goals.

Melisa recommends the following next steps:

Check out this blog post by author Jon Gordon on "Failing Forward." http://www.jongordon.com/positivetip/failing-forward.html
0
0

Joyal’s Answer

This is my perspective.
Failure for me is not giving my best. The outcome doesn't matter, it's the journey that counts.
Be it an assignment in college or a high profile project at work, when one drives it with all his/her passion the learnings can be abundant.
These learnings then transcend into a major personal win irrespective how successful the final outcome turns out.
0
0

Kateena’s Answer

Everyone definition of failure is different. For me failure constitute as allowing obstacles, setbacks, hard time even life stop you from accomplishing your goal. There is nothing wrong with stepping back and looking over mistakes and correcting them. The essential key is not to give up. Take a break or breather , reevaluate what you want your goal to be but do not give up!
0
0

Pradeep Kumar’s Answer

Failure is just one word which indicates that you might have to rethink about your strategy and plan in a better way and then move towards your goal. There might be multiple ways to achieve your goal, So failure simply mean that one way didn't work out the way you were expecting but again its a learning process you can't master in one attempt. Try, Learn , improve , replan and move forward towards your end goal. Eventually you will achieve your goal. So in short there is nothing like failure.
0
0

Lakeisha’s Answer

Failure can be looked at as you're not good enough or make a person feel like they need to give up throw in the towel. No.. not at all. Truthfully, failure is only when you giving up. I have done things and failed not once but twice and although I've felt discouraged along the way; I never gave up. Instead, I came up with a different method and thought process. Nothing or no one is perfect, so when you fail at something that just a lesson learned. There is no success without failure. Never give up or stop trying . There is power to failure, you just have learn how to deal with it and grow from it. Keep trying, keep failing success will follow!
0
0

Simeon’s Answer

I think failure is an opportunity to learn new ideas and get a feel for your strengths/weaknesses.
0
0