20

What if I can't handle college?

#college #college-advice

20

4

Kristin’s Answer

College can be difficult for some, but it's important to figure out what helps you succeed. Do you learn better in groups, with friends, taking notes by hand, etc. Additionally, you should not feel pressured to finish school in 4 years. Take whatever time you need. If you can only handle two classes at a time, that is completely fine! It is all about what YOU can handle and whatever makes YOU happy. Starting off easy in your first semester to get a feel for the level of difficulty and course work is a great start. Good luck!!
4
3

You WILL handle college! I think I probably stole this from the military, but, whenever there is an obstacle in your path, you can go under it, over it, around it, or through it. I recently went back for my master's, having earned my BA in 1983. I was having trouble, as I found I just wasn't retaining things. Textbooks and lectures were boring. I managed to find some alternate sources on line, including videos, that stuck with me.

The key is time management, and not falling behind. Do the readings before class, and review shortly after class. Figure out what is kicking your you know what and spend extra time on it. Also, and this is important, try to figure out the professor's testing style. Ask on day one. "what percentage of the tests are from the books, and what percent is from lecture?" No sense in studying the books if the exams are strictly from lecture! You will learn to ration your time in this manner. This will prepare you for medical school or law school, where prioritizing your time will be important!

Colleges have a lot of tutors and learning lab resources available. Find out about these before you need them, so you know what's out there. Study with friends, if they are really going to study. A lot of times it helps to discuss the issues.

Remember to eat, sleep, and exercise correctly. Protein and hydration are important. Don't go the junk food route! The first semester is crazy, but after that, it starts to come together!

You got this!!!
3
3

There’s no doubt that college is a big step and a life-changing one Jessica. It can be jarring for quite a lot of freshman! Don’t worry though; you’re not alone in your fears. Students should realize that colleges want them to succeed in classes and to enjoy the college experience. That’s exactly why student resources, including faculty, academic or financial advisers, tutors and counselors exist.

BE FELEXABLE
College is change. You’ll be living in a new place, meeting new people, making new friends, learning under new professors, taking new courses, and experiencing new things and events. Not everyone welcomes change easily. However, don’t forget everyone else is having the same “brand new” experience, same as you! You’re all going through the same things together. No one knows what the four years will bring. If you’re still struggling with the anxiety of the change, try exercising to reduce stress. You may also meet new friends at the gym who can help make the change a bit easier and make your new school feel like home. Or speak to the school therapist. Many colleges offer mental health services (sometimes for FREE) to their students. More often than not, new freshman to a college don’t know anyone very well at their new school. Occasionally, your best or close friends may choose the same college, but usually that isn’t the case. It’s easy to become afraid that you won’t meet anyone you care for or want to spend time with. This can lead to a fear of loneliness or alienation. In college, there are so many different people from varying backgrounds and parts of the country (and world). There are many places to make new friends—your dorm floor, classmates, clubs, sports, student organizations, friends of friends.

YOUR NOT ALONE
Fear of failure is a big one and, for some people, it continues throughout their college career and after graduation. College classes are different and, in most cases, more difficult than high school courses. If you don’t head this fear off though, it could become paralyzing throughout your stay at the school and after you head to your new career. Try understanding yourself and your fear of failure. First think, “Are these reasonable fears?” They may not be and may have a very small chance of even occurring. If you’re particularly afraid of failing something, a test, for example, consider how to prevent that from happening. What steps can you take? Studying, completing your homework, and attending your courses are your first steps to not failing tests or classes. There may be something else you’re afraid of while heading to your first week of college. You should always remember though that you’re not alone! There are hundreds or thousands of freshman at your school who are going through the exact same event. Many others will be unwelcoming to the change, afraid they won’t make friends or fear they’ll flunk out of college. The first step to overcoming your fear, however, is understanding yourself and what you’re afraid of.

Jessica instructors have office hours specifically for students to ask for help — but it’s not necessary to wait until problems arise. Establishing personal connections with professors can demonstrate a student’s good attitude and willingness to work, and can translate to higher grades and more opportunities.

Hope this was Helpful Jessica
Thank you comment icon Thank You Dexter for your Continued Support. “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” ― H. Jackson Brown Jr. John Frick
Thank you comment icon Thank You Howard. “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” – Oscar Wilde John Frick
3
2

Anthony’s Answer

You just have to take it one day at a time! College is about learning, trying and then finding out where you fit. After graduating, I ended up not even working in my field of study. The different courses that I took prepared me to think outside the box which has never failed me yet.

2
1

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Jessica! Don't worry and don't be scared! I know it may sound cliche but really college is not that bad. I was fearful to when I began, especially about working part time and handling my classes, but human beings have the capability to adapt to the environments around them and sometimes you may feel like you don't belong there or it may be strange that you are a college student but that is just because you are new in your role. I think it's important to manage your time, attend lectures, get to know your professors also get to meet people who share similar goals with you and see if you can study together as well as carry a planner with you so you can write down your assignments and exams and what you need to do for the day. Always make sure to give yourself time to prepare for exams in advance and study each day for your classes. If you need to work find nearby jobs, there are many on campus and most of them are easy going so you can even complete your homework as well! If you ever feel like your work could be too much or you are having a difficult time adapting, there are many counseling services on campus and many activities to reduce stress; usually the information is sent to your school email and you can also find more by a little research on the college website. I wish you the best!
1
1

Howard’s Answer

I had the same fear at the beginning of my college career. However, after switching my major couple times, I finally graduated six years later. College graduation could be one of the most rewarding feelings. The uncertainty you are feeling right now is very relatable.

An alternative suggestion I would give you is perhaps you could enroll in a community college first. An associate's degree at a city college is generally less costly, and the classes are possibly less academically challenging than a 4-year university. This option could save you money while you figure out if college is really for you.
1
0

Tara’s Answer

College can be hard sometimes. Whenever I go through a challenging time in school I will always make sure to understand where my priorities lie and get done what needs to get done. Office hours are very helpful when struggling in a class. Also don't be afraid to talk to the professor about challenges that you have in the class. It is also important to find a good group of friends who can hold you accountable and encourage you whenever you need them.
0
0

Ai’s Answer

It's ok if you decide that college is not for you. College is not the only way to success. Does having a college degree make it easier for one to have career opportunities? Probably, yes. However, you don't NEED a college degree to succeed. It's ok to start your college path and decide that it's not for you. I have seen plenty of people decide that college is not for them and drop out, but still have a successful career path. I think it depends on how you look at the situation and how you take action to better succeed in life.
0
0

Abhinav’s Answer

You can handle college! some feel more prepared than others for sure but it is 100% possible to succeed by establishing strong habits and sticking to them. Once you establish discipline and manage your time well you will find success. Although the work may seem daunting at first once you get in that environment you will find that the professors and the university in general WANT you to succeed and you can succeed!
0
0

Elizabeth’s Answer

I see you want to be a nurse. I'm betting you arrived at this because you are doing well in school and have a desire to help people and babies specifically. If these 2 things are true I believe you will succeed.
0
0

Alejandro’s Answer

College can be extremely different for some depending on the university and/or the high school they are coming out of. It's all about adjusting. Take it easy on yourself and don't try to take on too much. Get the feel of everything and meet new people! The people and the activities are what made it much easier for me! You're going to have phases where you feel scared to make a large leap in life. You'll have that feeling when you begin a new job.

It's all about taking everything in and avoid becoming overwhelmed with new environments and new things.

Hopefully this helps :)
0
0

Alina’s Answer

College can feel intimidating, and there will be up and downs! However, there are others and a range of resources available for you. Take your time to adjust and learn what resources you have like through the counseling center, advisors, and professors. It is a great time to learn new things, about yourself and what works best for you.
0
0

Emma’s Answer

College can be a challenge but if you keep an open mind and are willing to work hard, you can do it! Know your strengths and your weaknesses in school and at home. Use your resources like office hours, study tables, advisors, and counselors to get advice/help. Ask for help early. College can be a busy time, make sure to set time aside for yourself, whether its working out, playing intramurals, joining fun clubs, going out with your friends or staying in and having a movie night. Those breaks away from your classes and studying are important for your mental health. Time management is a skill you should use from day 1. If you can manage your time well, college will be a lot easier and less stressful. If that is a skill you struggle with, find someone who has that skill as a strength and ask for their help. College is a blast and something you are more than capable of doing. Just know your strengths and weaknesses and ask for help when you need it.
0
0

Alejandro’s Answer

Hopefully this helps :)
0
0

Elizabeth’s Answer

0
0

Sydney’s Answer

College isn't for everyone but as someone who is in college i do think its important to get your education.
I think college can be difficult but there's ways of managing these things
Learn how to study properly or what works for you and make some friends along the way. College isn't a walk in the park, but I think you can do anything you set your mind to.
0
0

Emma’s Answer

0
0

andrea’s Answer

hello that is an honest and interesting question to ask. Although going college is a very important step in your career there are other options. You can consider trade schools to learn things like auto mechanics or becoming an electrician. There are lots schools for other careers like culinary school ,hospitality industry, medical technicians, ( become a vet!). You can always join the armed forces, they also provide training in areas besides learning to protect and serve our country. Many of these programs are 1 to 2 years instead of 4 years plus you would have to spend in college. You can try one of these and always continue your education in that area and advance. The most important thing is think about what interests you and do you have desire to learn about it. A resource online is career source or search for career counseling sites, they can provide guidelines and ways to get financial help. good luck!
0
0

Adil’s Answer

Hi Jessica,

This is a really good question that I also asked myself when I was a senior in high school a few years back. I was worried on how I will be able to live without my parents around and much more. The biggest advice I could give you is that college is all about trying new things and meeting new people. Some people see college as a horrifying experience, but I honestly think it is all about getting out of your comfort zone. It may be hard to do this at first, but it is important to know that everyone else is also trying to do the same. Especially during freshman year, no one knows each other and this is the perfect opportunity for you to talk to people and simply try things you never have.
0
0

Blake’s Answer

Hey Jessica,

Eliminating any distractions that prevent you from being able to study is the best thing that you can do for school.

Thanks,
Blake
0
0

Ai’s Answer

0
0

Kathleen’s Answer

College is a huge adjustment, everything has changed and it will be an entirely new experience. BUT this does not mean college is not for you. At first, it may seem really scary, however, take your time through the adjustment period. Use your resources, colleges often offer different programs to help with the adjustment. Also, reach out to family and friends. Try your best not to compare your experience to anyone else's. You may feel as though everyone around you is adjusting easily but it takes time for everyone. Focus on how you feel and making the most of your time. Be yourself! You can do this.
0
0

Sheila’s Answer

Hi Jessica:

It's normal to feel that college will be quite a challenge. I will share with you from a parent's perspective is that you put your best foot forward, work extremely hard, and have fun along the way - - you've got this. The same values and principles you grew up with take them to college. If you find yourself overwhelmed talk to your adviser, your parents or friends. Don't forget to take breaks along the way. Best of luck to you!

~ Sheila
0
0

Penny’s Answer

College isn't for everyone. We all have different ways of learning and have been raised differently. These days there are no technical colleges, where you concentrate on a specific field. There are also vocational or trade centers that have several different programs. Many colleges have online learning, if you won't want to leave home but you want to better yourself. Some companies have on the job training that might be better suited to you. Good luck!

Penny recommends the following next steps:

Research different types of schools
Decide which vocation you are interested in
0
0

Hamad’s Answer

When I was young, say elementary school, I used to think that middle school would be difficult. When I was in middle school, I used to think high school would be difficult. Now I am in college and doing just fine. Taking on change is always scary.

I think that many people are in the same boat. College may be scary but there are many things in place to support you!

Best,
Hamad
0
0

Aditi’s Answer

Jessica,
College can be overwhelming. Luckily, at nearly every university there are resources to help you out and accommodate to your needs. Also, like Ai mentioned - college isn't for everyone. If it's not for you, that is okay! There is a career for everyone out there - and not all of them require a college degree. In fact, degree requirements are starting to become far less stringent. Best of luck!
0
0

sushma’s Answer

Hi Jessica , We all feel that we might not be able to handle certain things in certain situation. Its usually we are scared of the unknown. But until and unless you don't try it you will not know whether will you able to pass with flying colors. Its okay to be scared but don't let it hinder you in anyway. set your mind on something and there is nothing that can hold you back.
0
0

Aditi’s Answer

Jessica,
0
0

Kennedy’s Answer

College is truly a big, scary, and new adventure. But always remember it can be the most rewarding time in your life. Trust me everyone starting college asks themselves that same exact question but what I believed truly help me was trusting the process and not being afraid to fail.
0