53
Updated 2955 views

Any advice for a upcoming college freshman?

I will be attending Old Dominion University majoring in Cytotechnology #college #college-advice

53

4

Todd’s Answer

As a parent of an incoming college Freshman, I can tell you that this is a very bizarre time to transition to college. It's June and we still don't have clarity if college will be in-person, remote or a hybrid. Covid-19 has changed expectations and is keeping everyone guessing. While I don't know your particular situation (going to a local or distant college, dorming or commuting, etc.), you'll need to adjust to whatever your school determines to be the right course of action. Everyone at your school will be in the same situation, so any anxieties will be shared. I suggest that you start making connections with fellow classmates now, as there are groups forming via Facebook, Discord, Snapchat, etc. Not only can you meet potential roommates, but also students in your particular academic discipline. If you're planning on participating in extracurricular activities, there are communities for that as well.

Start exploring and connecting now and you'll be extra prepared for whatever college will be this Fall. Best of luck to you!
4
4

Kamesha’s Answer

Remember the reason why you’re attending college as there are a lot of distractions especially as a freshman. There are quite of few activities to be involved in on campus so I suggest finding something that peak your interests as a positive hobby. If you are attending close to home plan out visits to see loved ones.

Kamesha recommends the following next steps:

Research majors or career fields early
4
3

Doc’s Answer

Remember Jowell, you need to remember a college education is an investment in yourself. Your investment of time and money hopefully gets you that fulfilling career that allows you to live a life unburdened by debt.

INVEST IN YOURSELF WITH A COLLEGE EDUCATION

Most students are advised to treat their college education like finding a 'soul mate' and are told to look for a place where they'll be happy, Remember Jowell you need to think about choosing like any investment, some are better than others. A degree in basket weaving, Renaissance art or golf is likely to result in significantly lower earnings than a degree in information technology, business or the health sciences. Choosing your major wisely is a lot like selecting an appropriate investment for your long-term portfolio. In other words, you need to choose something that dovetails with your goals and has a realistic opportunity to provide the return on investment that you are anticipating.

FIND THE RIGHT COLLGE FOR YOUR INVESTMENT – Choosing a college is about more than the name on the diploma. Wherever you decide to go to school will touch numerous aspects of your life, from academic studies, social activities and beyond. Considering the importance of this decision, hopefully you, weighed the pros and cons in choosing this particular college, carefully consider your wants and needs and that this university was best to help you reach your investment in yourself in the next four years or longer.

INVESTMENTS ARE RISKEY – Every investment has risk, and a college education is no different. One of the greatest risks is that you extend your stay beyond four years (increases your initial cost) or don’t graduate at all (diminishes your return). This is another reason the college selection process was so important. To address these risks, my advise is you work with a college admissions professional who can help you determine where you might fit in best, select a major you will stick with and increase your odds of graduating on time.

SEE THE TRUE COST OF A UNIVERSITY – Of course, getting a degree is easier said than done. The cost of a college education is high, and it's only getting higher. In fact, the cost of education has risen faster than inflation over the past decade, and tuition at a four-year public university is estimated at $12,000 dollars per year for the 2020 – 2021 school year. Costs are also higher for students who live on campus. Because learning financial responsibility is just one of the many lessons that we all must face, choosing to commute rather than live on campus is a financially prudent decision that can save tens of thousands of dollars.

FOCUS ON YOU FUTURE – The focus on the cost of college is misplaced. While the cost of a single year, particularly at a private school, can be significant, most college graduates will earn back the amount spent in a single year of working. In some cases, such as graduates from public education institutions, their first year's salary will cover the cost of all four years in college. How would you like to invest $48,000 and have it turn into $4 million? Thousands of people do it. Their investment strategy involves a four-year commitment to education. The payoff begins with the receipt of a college degree, which opens the door to a lifetime of earnings that otherwise might not have been possible to obtain. In this article, we'll show you the million-dollar benefits of choosing to pursue an education.

Jowell the significant earnings that a college graduate can expect provide the opportunity to enjoy material comforts. A nice car, a nice home and some spending money in your pocket are the traditional rewards for financial success. Likewise, increased earnings provide an opportunity to save and invest. As a college graduate you'll have the opportunity to not only enjoy a comfortable lifestyle during your working years, but your increased earnings will provide the opportunity to save and invest to ensure a financially secure retirement.

Hope this was Helpful Jowell

Doc recommends the following next steps:

Think about which majors will be the most valuable 10 years from now.
Download the official curriculum for each major and talk to the professors each of those majors.
Interview upper-classmen who’ve taken those majors about the pros and cons.
Thank you comment icon Thank You Todd. If we want to touch the past, touch a rock. If we want to touch the present, touch a flower. If we want to touch the future, touch a life. Doc Frick
Thank you comment icon Thank You Joseph. “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” ― H. Jackson Brown Jr. Doc Frick
3
3

Sacoyah’s Answer

First I want to say CONGRATULATIONS! College is an exciting time for you to get truly know yourself if you already don't.

College is very different from high school:

1. In high school you have back to back classes from 7:30am-2:30pm every day. In college you can have one class two times a week for a hour and a half each day or even one class only one day a week. You will find yourself with a lot of free time. I would say to get involved, there are many different organizations that you can join based on your interests, this will give you a support system of like minded individuals. Just don't make that your main priority, your education is your first priority. It is important to be social but at the same time do not let being social come into competition with your class work and studying because you are there first to gain an education. This can be a little confusing because I mentioned to get involved, you have to learn to create a balance of FUN and BUSINESS. The one skill that you will take with you as you become an adult.

2. You will not have your parents there to remind you about certain deadlines or due dates. My greatest advice is to get yourself a planner so you can mark important dates like when a paper is due or when you have a test. Even mark your social events and study times. It helps you practice time management.

3. This one is a little funny. Don't be tempted to gain the freshman 15. Fifteen lbs that is. Stay active, eat healthy and drink water. You know the things your parents tell you to do like, "eat your veggies." Believe me you'll thank me later.

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. This can be from anywhere from:
a. Classwork - professors have office hours where you can ask questions. There are tutor available for each subject
b. Experiencing anxiety - there are student health centers that can help you get adjusted to college life. Don't be afraid to use these services. Mental health is important.
c. Selecting a major - You will be assigned a counselor. Get to know them, set up a meeting in the beginning of the semester to ask them questions about different careers in your major, best electives to take and so on.
d. Which organizations to join - There should be an Office of Student Life somewhere on campus. They will have a list of all the organizations located on campus. They are a great source to start on how to be social.

6. And most importantly HAVE FUN. College is about learning through experiences. Enjoy yourself, experiment with your individuality. Try to stay positive and take care of your mental health.
3
1

Chirayu’s Answer

Yes, here are a few pieces of advice for an upcoming college freshman:
-Get involved on campus by join clubs, organizations or attend events to meet new people, develop new skills and broaden your perspectives.
-Manage your time effectively and time management is key to success in college, balance your coursework, extracurricular activities and personal life.
-Ask for help and don't be afraid to reach out to professors, advisors, or tutors if you need help.
-Stay organized and keep track of important dates, deadlines and assignments to stay on top of your responsibilities.
-Explore your interests as college is a great time to try new things, so take advantage of the opportunities available to you and find your passions.
-Get to know your professors and build relationships with your professors as it can be valuable for academic and career growth.
1
1

Anne’s Answer

College is a wonderful time in life to learn, meet new people, and hone in on what you might want to do as a career. I recommend being open minded, and taking advantage of all in-person or on-line resources that your college may offer. Be open to learning about careers you may not have thought of, in addition to seeking out a mentor at the college who can help you through your journey. Good luck!
1
1

Pace’s Answer

I thought I would provide a few thoughts that can help make a successful first year in college:

- Try to create some structure outside of your class schedule. You will have a lot more time in your day and putting in scheduled time to do your school work, workout, etc. will go a long way in your success. And limit the chances of doing major projects last minute.
- If you are not 100% sure of your major, consider taking some of your electives in another area of study. These can help round out your overall education as well as help you put your toe in the water in other areas that may be of interest.
- Always keep things in perspective! This is true throughout life but the first few weeks/months of college can be challenging for a lot of different reasons. Setbacks happen but don't let them consume you. Just try to use them as valuable learning experiences and building blocks for success.

Best of luck,
-Pace
1
1

Matthew’s Answer

My degree required me to take at least 2 writing courses. Remember that your professors are required by your school to have office hours where they have to answer any questions you may have.

Whenever I got an essay assignment, I would write my first draft, take it to the professor during their writing hours (and brought my laptop with the essay open) and I would make the changes the professor gave me in real time. That way, if I were to hand it in, they should have no reason NOT to give me an A on it.

College is a great time to learn how to work smarter, not harder :)
1
1

Alexander’s Answer

Hi Jowell, I highly recommend exploring introductory classes. Take advantage of being a new student and try different courses to see what peaks your interest. Use your first year to really figure out what you want to do with your future, and it's OK if that takes more than the first year. I didn't set my major until the end of my sophomore year. I tried 4 different programs and I'm happy to say, I know I ended up at the right one!

I wish you luck!
1
0

Eduarda Luísa’s Answer

Hello Jowell, hope you are doing great!

First of all, congratulations on your accomplishment! Going to college is an amazing opportunity! You're going to love it!

I'm currently coursing my 4th semester of Information Systems and here are some of my tips:

1- Make connections. It is a really good idea to start by making friends and getting to know the professors, so you can feel more comfortable around everyone and have a happier and healthier life inside the university. Also, always ask questions to people around you in case you have any, specially in the first months, when everything is new and you receive a lot of information.

2 - Explore the University. Get to know all the places and classrooms.

3 - Don't forget to find time for studying. Create a study routine. That is essential if you want to learn the subjects better and become a great student. Having fun is obviously important, but remember that going to college is an opportunity that not so many of us have. Therefore, enjoy every moment of it and stay focused on your work, when it has to be done.

4 - Also be engaged in as many activities as your university may offer. Enjoy your time at the university!

Hope that was helpful :)

0
0

Jonathan’s Answer

Hi Jowell,

Great that you are being proactive about seeking advice for college! The first year of college can be challenging - there is a certainly an adjustment that happens when you start college. Some tips I would suggest include:

1) Get involved! One of the best ways that you can differentiate yourself from your peers is through the experiences and skills that you build outside of the classroom. This can include clubs, competitions, networking events, you name it. As a freshman, people aren't expecting you to be perfect at these things - in fact, just showing up is in itself impressive to most people! Take advantage of the opportunity to start learning and getting involved early.

2) Network and make friends! There is a lot of campus specific advice that you can pick up from your peers, from helpful professors and classes to take, to special events being held on campus, etc. Be friendly and intentional about getting to know people around you, especially upperclassmen who have been a part of college for a while and know the ropes. They can give you guidance specific to your situation and let you know of things you might have missed otherwise! Some of the most enriching activities I have participated in on campus were things that I learned about through friends on campus - without them, I wouldn't have even known they existed! Especially at a larger university, there is so much stuff going on that it can be hard to keep track of it all.

3) Know what your limit is: It is better to be actively engaged and learning from a couple of activities than to be part of many activities, but spread so thin that you feel overwhelmed and you aren't able to fully engage in each of them. Everyone's limit is different but be sure that you aren't overwhelming yourself when you are trying to get involved.

Most importantly, take time to enjoy your time on campus! College truly is a unique time in your life, and the experiences you have are ones that you will look back on fondly. Especially when you are starting out, be sure to give yourself time to adjust, and then look to get involved!
0
0

Jason’s Answer

Hi Jowell,

Congratulations, Jowell! This is an exciting step toward your future.

Time management will be a key part to your success in college. Although you may have other responsibilities, it will be important to make your classes your main priority. Allow yourself plenty of time to complete assignments and study. It is also important to allow time for rest and relaxation. You will want to make time for social activities, too, because you will have opportunities to meet lots of people. It is important to maintain a balance in managing your time, but remember your studies should be your main focus.

Look for ways to get involved with campus life. There are many options you can explore for extracurricular activities. There may be a club or student organization related to your major, or you may find groups related to other interests you have. Participating in these activities can help you to gain skills that could be useful in a future career.

My final piece of advice is to take advantage of resources available to help you be a successful student. There are academic advisors and other student services professionals you can contact. These are people who want to help you succeed as a student.
0
0

Christine’s Answer

As intimidating as it might seem, try to branch out and try as many things as possible! Join clubs and figure out what you're passionate about and connect with others who have the same interest. If you get involved early, you will feel much more comfortable and propel your career.
0
0

Pamela’s Answer

Introduce yourself to lots of people! My Freshman year, I kind of found a group of friends and stuck with them the whole year. I didn't really expand my friend group beyond that until my Sophomore year, and I met some awesome friends that I regretted not meeting sooner!!

Make sure you go to as many on-campus events as you can! If your campus doesn't seem to have many student run organizations that have events, maybe there is a way you can get involved?

Have fun, but make sure your school work doesn't fall to the wayside. I know it is easy to lose yourself in some newfound freedom and social life, but if you work really hard early on in your college career, it helps lay a good foundation to make things a bit easier on yourself in your last year!

And most of all.. enjoy your time there! It flies by so make sure you do all you want to do :)
0
0

Angela’s Answer

Be a sponge and take everything in! As a freshman, there's no pressure to know exactly what you want to do - rather this is a time to explore. My #1 tip would be to get involved in ANYTHING you have even the slightest bit of interest in. Get outside of your comfort zone - join things pertaining to your field of interest but also look into things you would never think to be involved in, as it's a good learning experience. This will help you decide what you want to be doing and if you want to explore something else. It will also connect you to people with the same interests as you; it may be scary to join something alone but you will definitely not regret it, as you'll make friends and possibly even future colleagues. Good luck!
0
0

Johovana’s Answer

Hi
My advise, have a goal on mind, choose wisely what passionate s you , don't hurry things. Concentrate in your future , Does it makes you happy, Go for it, seek for your dreams. Go for internships opportunities. Best lucks
0
0