27
Asked 605 views

Is it too late to figure out what I want to do if I’m 12

I play tennis,I love shopping and anything related to fashion
My dream job is to be a #professional spy or detective. #fashion #professional

27

2

Kimberly’s Answer

You are still so young and have plenty of time to explore your interests and plan for your career. I even switched majors in college and decided I wanted to work in marketing while I was studying at USC, so you should keep learning about the various fields and what you're passionate and have a talent for. Talk to people who have your dream job and don't be afraid to ask for an informational interview.

Kimberly recommends the following next steps:

Conduct informational interviews with people who have a job you find interesting.
Participate in career summits and leadership workshops.
2
1

Margaret’s Answer

When I was your age, I wanted to be a rock star. It wasn't until I reached my late teens/early 20's that I figured out what direction I wanted to go in. Now, I am not a traditional "rock star", but a rock star analyst for a bank and I couldn't be happier. You're so young and you have SO much time to think about what you'd like to do for a career. Explore new activities, learn about different subjects, and keep your mind open to all opportunities. Then, you'll begin to know what excites you and what passion you wish to pursue.
1
1

Alexandra’s Answer

I think that even at 24, it is still early to know what you will be doing or choosing for our career. However, if you have interests, passions and goals and want to pursue, start early. It never hurts to be good at something and gain skills even though a certain occupation does not become a job.
1
1

Darin’s Answer

Great question Ariana. Your absolutely not too old. You may be 12 now and want to pursue being a detective and maybe you get hired to do it in the future and then in 10 - 15 years you decide you want to pursue something else. You're never too old to pursue a dream. Begin to take the early step to look into what you want to do or what you may be interested in but remember your only 12, you still have high school to get through first. Keep up your grades and have fun with life first
1
1

Rebecca’s Answer

Hi Arianna,

It is definitely not too late to figure out what you want to do. Many college students and even people early in their careers are still figuring out what they would like to do for work.

I recommend talking to as many people as you can who work in different industries. The more you learn about different fields and different job functions, you will be able to narrow down what you would like to do.

I also recommend making a list of your interests and see if any patterns show up from that. That could help you narrow down career options and help to figure out who you should be talking to, to learn more about those career opportunities.

Hope this is helpful!
Thank you comment icon Yes! Interview people, read lots of books about the subjects you love, volunteer for things as you get into high school just to try them out before you even consider going to a trade school or college. Have fun exploring! Alison Buck
1
0

Deepak’s Answer

This is the right time to choose your career. How to decide what is best for you?
What you can do is contact the people who are successful in their fields, speak to them, get their advice, ask them to share their experience.
Look for maximum options and given time to yourself,. Think in which field you are interested choose the work you love to do.
0
0

Fred’s Answer

I started off college as a mechanical engineering student. I then switched to theatre. I then worked retail, as a middle and high school teacher, an airline reservation agent, and then at age 31, switched to computer science, where i have been for over 20 years.

So, no. Twelve is NOT too late. If anything, it's too early. Most people will have multiple careers in their lifetime, so odds are even if you knew right now, in 30 years you'll be doing something different anyway.

My advice would be to find something you ENJOY doing, and do that. Often the first year or two of college is doing exactly that - taking classes in a wide variety of disciplines to see what you like.
0
0

Jhoanna’s Answer

You're at a good age to determine what you want to be as an adult. My suggestion is you get a mentor who works in that field or contact a University about career options.
0
0

Carina’s Answer

You have tons of time to figure out what you want to do with your life. I recommend trying out lots of new activities to see what your passions are.

0
0

Joyce’s Answer

Hi,

First of all, you are still young, I will suggest you to focus on your study to gain more knowledge, so that you will know what your path is in the future. You still can practice tennis, and learn more about fashion. After you finish your study and you still want to be a spy, please contact FBI or joining police force.
0
0

Mickael’s Answer

hi Arianna,
I think you have still time to think about your future. Up until high school, it is not too late. Once you reach 11th grade, you should start to have some ideas for your future since you have to choose meaningful electives.
Before that, if you know something, it's great for you. If you don't think about it but do not stress about it. You have years to think and find.
0
0

Deepak’s Answer

0
0

Tsui Ying’s Answer

Hey Arianna, I hope you're well. It is never too late to figure out what you want to do. Often what people start with ends up being very different. It's also alright to not know what to do. If you're passionate about a specific field then go for it but don't be afraid to take on different opportunities. 12 is still very young, I'm in my early 20s and still changing and adapting my passions and job field.
Thank you comment icon Well, it might be too late for you to go into certain professional sports where people typically start training at a much earlier age. However you certainly have enough time to get into the careers related to you dream job of a professional spy or detective - or to have another dream of another job, which also happens a lot to people. Any way the major tendency sociologists are reporting now is that people in this century tend to change their occupation quite a lot, almost no one spend their whole life working at same place and doing same work - so prepare for the exciting ride with lots of opportunities ahead! Eugenia Galstyan
0
0

Yasemin’s Answer

Hi Arianna! Of course not, you are still very young! When I was your age I kept changing my career choices and interests all the time. It takes time and experiences to know what you want to do. My friend always loved fashion design even when she was very young and would create her own styles from old clothes, she once made a vest out of an old pair of jeans! She continued with this passion even in college and beyond; so you can definitely take part in things you love, if you like fashion you can design your own clothes as a hobby. For now do well in school and if you find opportunities for things you love take part in them, this also can include volunteering or club activities. You have plenty of time!

0
0

Mary’s Answer

Its never too late to figure out what you want to do especially if your only 12. BE A KID... don't grow up to fast because you will never get those days back. Throughout your childhood you grow and learn more about who you are as a person that will help you figure out what path to take. For now though go outside, have fun, build friendships, and most of all continue to learn:)
0
0

Charles’s Answer

I grew up in Glenview which is quite close to Schaumburg - there are many wonderful things in that area for you to explore for career opportunities. Professional opportunities came my way through my education. I am an Instructional Designer and I build training programs and present training for Dell computer. Read and study a lot and the world will reward your efforts with great opportunity.

I wish you the best..

Chuck B
0
0

Gina’s Answer

You have so much time to explore a career. You should keep exploring, volunteering and job shadowing about the various fields that you're interested in. Talk to people who have the same interests and research job/job descriptions that you think might interest you.