Are there any outlets for socialization or working with people in the fields of genetics/biomedical science?

I'm in love with biomedical engineering and genetics/genomics, but I also tend to be a social butterfly. I'm concerned that the constant lab work and studies will keep me from interacting with people and forming stable workplace relationships. My parents have suggested the profession of genetic counseling, which is a viable option, but I was just wondering if there were any other professions that would allow for a more equal science/communication balance.

#genetics #genetic-counseling #relationships #biomedical-engineering #biomedical #molecular-biology #biology #social #career-paths #career-path #people #psychology #college-major

Sandra’s Answer

Being a social butterfly does not prevent you from having a research oriented career and it may make you a better researcher if it helps you effectively work with patients or build a team of colleagues! Whether you're in research or clinics, co-workers will always come and go, and you will always have better relationships with some than others. Hence even the most focused researchers find time for families and outside activities. The most important thing in any career for a "social butterfly" is the ability to settle in, concentrate and do the work needed when the time calls. At this point, I'd suggest thinking about what type of work you enjoy most and what type of work/life balance you desire in general.

As to other careers that have a science/communication balance, science teacher, science journalism, other health professions (OT and PT for instance) and government/public policy are just a few.