I want to become a mechanical engineer, emphasis on Aerospace. What classes should I take while in High School?

Asked Boise, Idaho

I'm having trouble picking my classes for high school. How would you rank the following classes by most important to least important? I'm wondering because I don't have enough class periods to take all of these classes.
Science--
Chemistry: 2 trimesters; Physics: 2 trimesters, unless AP which is 3 trimesters; Electronics: the study of electricity, robotics, electrical engineering, gives me college credit (takes a year off my associates), is 3 trimesters every year for the rest of high school.
Math--
Statistics: Elementary Stats is 1 trimesters, AP Stats is 2 trimesters, but can be taken in the early morning zero hour period; Computer Science: 3 trimesters
mechanical-engineering #college #college-major #engineer #engineering #aerospace-engineering #mechanical #aeronautics #high-school #physics #computer-science #chemistry #math #robotics

Charlie’s Answer

Updated Houston, Texas

Good Morning!

Merry Christmas!!

As an experienced engineer with many industrial and educational experiences, I would recommend that for aerospace, please focus on calculus and statistics first, physics and chemistry next. The calculus and statistics will unlock many paths for you once you are in physics and chemistry. Aerospace is both broad and specific touching many classical fields so the calculus and statistics give you a sense of broad skills making you more successful in more specific course work in the sciences later. That is what I did with good success and that is my advice for you too! Good Luck!

Charlie recommends the following next steps:

• Let me know what you decide!

Thai’s Answer

Updated Fairfax, Virginia

My degree is in Electrical, but have many friends who did machanical and aerospace. Here's my recommendation from most important to least:

1. Physics and Calculus
  2. Chemistry and Computer Science
  3. Statistics and Electronics

G. Mark’s Answer

You'll need a wide range of subjects in science and technology. Mainly, you'll want to study mechanical engineering, of course, and the support classes that will require, including math from algebra to calculus. You'll need electronics, physics and, of course, you wouldn't be able to get much done in today's technology without computers. I would recommend not only the basic computer science classes, but also computer engineering, including architecture, operating systems and the like. And today, I would look for some classes on Global Engineering Process, Business and Artificial Intelligence with Machine Learning. A great addition is any class that requires that you build some project on a team. Side benefit -- it's lots of fun and it's likely what you'll end up doing for most of your career. Knowledge is a lot more useful if you share it.