How do companies view military service?

Asked Boise, Idaho

When hiring, do companies view military service as a good or bad thing? If it it a good thing, what branch looks best? Marines, Army, Army National Guard, Air Force, Air National Guard, Navy, Coast Guard? And does it look better to have been an enlisted or officer?
(I'm guessing the best combination is Air Force Officer)
#military #any #army #pilot #navy #coast-guard #aviation #marine #marines #college #career #major #technology #hiring #future #company #corporate

Updated San Antonio, Texas

In addition to the skills and work ethic veterans possess, employers can also receive tax breaks for hiring veterans. This is about $6000 for some vets, and about $12,000 under a Wounded Warrior Program. The govt. also recently started a program called HireVets in which it recognizes employers who meet certain criteria in employing veterans. To see a list of the employers recognized in 2018:

https://www.hirevets.gov/

There are regular job fairs designed to recruit veterans into the workforce. I don't think any one branch is looked at differently than another by employers. As to officer vs. enlisted, I think that would depend on the type of position you are trying to get. But think of it this way: a person who enlists straight out of high school, and does one 4-year hitch, at the age of 22 is already well on their way to being a mature individual capable of being a functioning productive member of society. Think about 22 year old people who did not go in the military. Many of them are still a long ways from being "grown-up."

Amr’s Answer

There is no consistent view. It depends on which country.

in the US it is highly respected experience for example but less so in some other countries.

Mr. Ernst’s Answer

Updated Newark, New Jersey

Christian S,

I want to say first and foremost I have no military experience myself. I have a friend who couldnt land any serious job besides a few security gigs and then he went to the Army Reserve for 1 year and about 7 months before he was discharged because of an injury in which he could not enroll into the Marines. I can tell you since he came back more doors have opened up to him from becoming a head lead at Hello Fresh to working at a Federal Prison and now he is currently working as a entry level detective in Texas. I can testify from the outside looking in many doors are opened to someone with some form of military training. Why? Because they already know that you are coming into their organization with discipline, ethics and responsibility. I wish you the best on your journey.

G. Mark’s Answer

I can speak from the point of view of an employer, and that is that folks with military service are assumed to be more reliable, more regimented, more organized and more focused than average. We've viewed these folks as a "better bet" for a job. On top of that, many folks receive training in the military that carries directly into their employment. From my personal point of view, I've considered military service to have done the first part of screening of applicants for my organizations. That's a good thing.