Jill A.

66

1

What should I second major/minor in that will be helpful for a marketing major?

I need to choose 2 minors that will compliment my marketing major. The ones I am leaning towards to is either finance, psychology or statistics. Which one should I choose?

My other option is to do a second major but marketing is really the only career I see myself in.

#marketing #university #marketers #finance #psychology #statistics #majors-and-minors #college-minor #major #college-major #college-majors #double-major

Great question! I can only share how I made that decision and how it's impacted my career and give a little advice. I'm almost 18 years into my career and things have obviously changed in business since 2000 or even 2009 for that matter. I personally come from a long line of accountants, CPA(s) etc. But I like data, analyses and math. I also knew in 1998 that systems would eventually replace or "automate" a lot of accounting and other functions. So I decided to double major in Finance and Management Information Systems. It was then my goal to spend my first two or three roles focusing on learning both as a systems analyst and a financial analyst and then progressing. This worked very well for me and got to experience many different sides of business and in many industries. It gave me exposure to many things and people and then ended up being involved in Project Management. You have to ask yourself what is that you really are passionate about? Do you want to be in business development? Is it only about Salary? What's going to make you happy and fulfill your passions? If it's strictly for marketability; I'd suggest combining that with any technical related major and the more specialized the better. Technical Marketings, Merchandising, Data Science, Business Intelligence. But also, you have to think what your ultimate goal is in your career and that can take some time and experience. I hope that answers some of your questions and adds value. #helping-others #college-major #double-major #resume #marketing #salary #college #catalyses3
Last updated Oct 23 '17 at 02:01

2 comments

Excellent question. As you'll come to learn, marketing is quite a broad field and encompasses many different areas. It would be great to find out what specifically interests you in marketing to help you.

With that said, having a strong understanding of data and analytics will take you far. I graduated with an Economics degree which takes some fundamentals of both Statistics and Finance. A strong understanding of data and Excel have served me very well as a Manager in Digital Media. We are constantly looking for candidates who are data-driven. You don't have to be a data scientist, but it does help to have that foundation of knowing how to work with large sets of data.

I would try to narrow down what about marketing appeals to you. Is it getting to understand people and what drives them? Are you interested in the creative development aspect? Or are you do you want to drive sales? These are just some thought starters. Best of luck!

Last updated Apr 03 at 21:04

I'm very pleased your educational plans include a marketing degree and minor in one of the following: finance, psychology or statistics. I assume since you've narrowed to these choices you've given this some thought, and are equally passionate about all of these subjects. It would be interesting to know how you became passionate about each. I'll guess you may have taken a course in school, or have friends and relatives who are engaged in associated careers. If you can shadow them at work for a day, then I think you'd be able to make the decision. The most marketable would be a minor in Finance.
Last updated Nov 30 '17 at 08:47

Schools Add a school