Is it worth earning higher than a bachelor's when pursuing a career in environmental engineering?

1

I plan to get a bachelor's degree in environmental engineering for sure, but would it be worth the time, money($40K/yr at the school I am looking at), and effort to work towards a master's or PhD?
#engineering #environmental-engineering #money #debt #degrees #bachelors-degree #bachelorsdegree #masters-degree #mastersdegree #phd #environmental-science #environment #environmental #career-path #career-paths #career-planning #career-plan

I was an environmental engineer for 35 years, most of which was in managerial positions. I only had a BSE. Most of the environmental managers I knew did not have Master's degree in Environmental studies. In my experience, an MBA was more useful. I'd recommend getting your BSE, and get into the field and get an MBA. This should help you into more responsible positions and also, I've seen the combination of a BSE and MBA get and environmental manager into the main corporate advancement path. I had such an offer myself, and I didn't have the MBA. Ergo, I recommend you finish your environmental BSE, and get an MBA while you are getting your on the job experience. Donald Windeler
1

Peter’s Answer

1

Abigail:

In my 42 years as a Civil Engineer, working almost exclusively for large consulting firms, my experience was somewhat different from that of Mr. Windeler (above). The Environmental Engineers that I encountered frequently had masters degrees. This is a complex field and such an advanced degree certainly enhances your career. It will definitely accelerate your salary, although I don't know if this will actually "pay" for the extra 12-18 months of graduate school. But if you want the best opportunities in this Field, I do not hesitate to recommend you get a masters degree.

It is common for engineers, a bit later in their careers (perhaps five years), to obtain an MBA and this would enhance your opportunity for project management and perhaps major partnership in an engineering firm.

Good luck, Pete Sturtevant, PE

1