What are some tips for finding shadowing opportunities?

Updated Houston, Texas

I'm interested in shadowing. Wondering how to find shadowing opportunities and would love to hear personal stories and how it helped you. #work-shadowing #job-shadowing #employment-opportunities #career #career-counseling #teach -mentoring #career-development #career-plan #plan #career-choice #nurse #nursing #nurses #registered-nurses #medicine #teacher #teachers #education #educator #educating #teaching #primary/secondary #higher-education

Jeff’s Answer

Updated Cleveland, Ohio
Great question! I STRONGLY encourage you to make a LinkedIn profile. The LinkedIn website (and plenty of Google search results) offer advice on how to structure a professional profile. LinkedIn is helpful in finding shadowing opportunities because you can easily search professionals by name, career industry, skill set, location, and more. I created a LinkedIn profile as a junior in high school and have used it to reach out to several professionals. As a result, I have built a strong, lasting network and have had multiple shadowing and internship opportunities. Additionally, as your network grows, you will be recognized by recruiters and other professionals on LinkedIn, so they may even reach out to you with opportunities they have. Good luck searching!
Thank you so much for your advice!

Karen’s Answer

Sometimes you can create a shadowing opportunity by simply asking someone who is working in the field you are interested in if you could observe them for a day.  Whenever you hear someone talking about a job that really sounds interesting to you, don't hesitate to ask if that's possible.  It doesn't have to be a formal position to get a feel for what they are doing.  All the best to you!

Aimee’s Answer

Updated Cleveland, Ohio
In high school I had available to me a counselor who helped students look for opportunities in the community for students to shadow. You can also ask a teacher who you have a good relationship with to see if they have any contacts who may be able to help find you an opportunity. In college they have career fairs that will have representatives from different employers that would be able to talk to you about different opportunities.
Thank you so much for your advice!

YU’s Answer

Being working the hospitals in the past 20 years, I have not seen anyone who could not find a shadowing position. Why do not you start from hospital website? You can find the doctors' contact and shoot an email. What could you lose? Most of my colleagues in clinic have open mind for showing if they are available