What is it like to work as a Network Systems Administrator?

I'm already enrolled into the Job Corps program and am going to work on completing my programs in customer service, computer technician and network administrator advanced program and at the same earn my COMPTIA A+ and CCNA certification within three years. I am an aspiring network systems administrator for a start-up tech company. networking management tech technology it computers computer-software information-technology computer-science comptia certifications microsoft linux network c+ python powershell adobe javascript html COMPTIAA+ CCNA

The no. of devices connecting to the multi-dimensional mesh of network and security threats keep growing and so is the need for talented network admins. The networking technology plays a key role in IT infrastructure to connect users, customers, business units, business partners, suppliers, employees and decision makers and back office servers and storage devices for seamless access to data and information. Keep your skills and competency sharp and you will have a successful career. Ravi Singh
Yes I agree Ravi. It seems like almost every company may need network administrators so therefore the future career growth outlook must be above-average which is promising. Thank you for your reply and I will try to learn as much as I can while completing my programs and earning my certifications. Michael C.

9
Pros
8
0
Students
1
0

Michael If it's a completely new network setup, as a Network Systems Administrator your main responsibilities will include physically connecting network components to each other and installing and configuring networking software and applications. Network systems administrators plan, set up, and maintain computer networks for businesses and organizations. They begin by evaluating an organization's networking needs, and then they install necessary systems, such s local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), network segments and intranets. Over time, they monitor system performance, protect security, and troubleshoot any problems that come up. They may also implement periodic system upgrades in order to keep the organization's network up-to-date with the latest technologies. You may also have a role in designing the network if a network architect isn't available. For existing networks, you will add new users, install hardware and software upgrades, monitor system performance, allocate system resources based on usage patterns, perform preventive maintenance and identify and correct problems. Depending on the organization you work for, you might also provide tech support to other departments, train subordinates and train new staff members.

In the past, earning a bachelor's degree in computing-related subjects such as management information systems, information science or computer science was a sufficiently relevant education path to become a network system administrator. Schools have since created dedicated programs like Cisco CNNA certification or Microsoft's MCSE certifications or Sun Microsystems to stay current with technology trends. Certification programs are another popular educational option in network administration. Because of the rapid technological advancements in network systems, many professional network administrators periodically update their skills through advanced certification courses. Good communication, interpersonal and leadership skills are some other factors to be considered. With rise in global economy, companies are implementing advanced systems for operations and data storage. Demand for Network System Administrators is expected to increase due to rising demand for information security. Companies will look forward to hire Network System Administrators for optimizing their systems to lower costs and increase their productivity.

Hope this is helpful Michael
1
Pros
1
0

Maite’s Answer

Sure, that you will learn and have a lot of fun with the network administrator position. It is certainly a great opportunity.
Keep in mind that the networking technologies are a key piece to provide critical services for different businesses: banking, health, security, factories for example, sharing medical records, smart cities, security, money transfer, education , .. with which you will have the opportunity to learn a lot impacting critical services on users/citizens, which is very rewarding.

As networking technologies are part of our day-to-day training, you will have the opportunity to work on innovative projects.

In addition to the technical knowledge needed, considering what this job requires, maybe there are other abilities that you can consider to work:
- Manage complex situation. Acquire ability to solve complex technical problems. A Network Administrator must be a decisive person with great ability to solve complex problems. You must be prepared to manage stressful situations and to work both in a team and individually.
- Communication. Also, a Network Administrator must be a good communicator. As an expert in its area, you must know how to explain complex issues to people who lack a technical profile.

Go for it and good luck!!!
You rock! This advice is very helpful. Michael C.
Thanks a lot for responding to my post Maite! I will definitely try to keep in mind that not only is technical knowledge important but perhaps the way that this technical knowledge is communicated to different people with varying technical backgrounds may be more important. Michael C.
0

AJ’s Answer

If love computers and networking them, then it is a rewarding career. Managing, fixing and networking computers require one to be in flexible with work schedule. It can at times be very long hours, call to work in emergency late hours. weekends, when solving multi-networking issues .
Thank you for sharing your perspective. Michael C.
That sounds right up my alley. I am willing to work long hours and into the weekends to first get established in the networking field but hopefully as I become more seasoned, I can still have a social life. Michael C.
0

Josh’s Answer

Along with all of the answers about technical learning for network management, don't forget that in any career, people skills and communication skills are critical. Learning how to describe what you're working on, why it's important, and what it will bring to your customers (internal or external) will give you more credibility than just someone who knows the technology but can't work with people. Work on learning things so well that you can describe them to anyone, technical or not.
I will use this advice as I prepare for my career. Michael C.
Thanks for taking the time respond Josh! I will certainly try to remember to not only strive to be an expert in technical knowledge but also being able to explain it and show value to different people of varying degrees of technical backgrounds. Michael C.
0

Thammanna’s Answer

Computer networking is very rewarding career option.It's definitely keep you busy with changing landscape of computer networking. Cisco provides free networking courses on their Cisco University try out some basic courses you can try
Thank you for taking the time to help. Michael C.
Thank you Thammanna for replying to my post, I had no idea about Cisco University and now thanks to you I know about it. I will certainly take a look into it and try out a course or two. Thanks again for sharing. Michael C.
0

Carl’s Answer

Being a network administrator can be very rewarding. You are able to design, fix, manage, and troubleshoot networks that help businesses operate. Your skillset enables businesses to function. Wireless networks, local area networks, radio area network, and all enterprise level networks require individuals with network management skills to keep their organizations operational. As technology changes, so will your knowledge which means your job will always be evolving. My graduate degree is in Network Management and with the evolution of wireless technologies, the textbooks I used in graduate school became obsolete even as I was matriculating. The career is face-paced and can be stressful but rewarding. Your organization will heavily depend on you.

Carl recommends the following next steps:

Research undergraduate and graduate programs in Network Administration and Network Management
Seek out articles online that show the benefits of certifications such as CCNA and COMPTIA
Research different companies that employee Network Administrators, look at job descriptions on their website.
Compare curriculum of Network Administration/Management programs to job requirements within the job descriptions you've researched.
Loved reading this, thanks! Michael C.
Thank you very much Carl for your detailed feedback. I will be sure to make use of your advice and take the first steps into my future by completing my COMPTIA and CCNA certifications as well as others that can be helpful. Your response and feedback is greatly appreciated! Michael C.
0

Andréa’s Answer

Every organization is different, but network admins often have a blend of day-to-day "keeping the lights on" tasks, larger projects (building out new networks, making major changes to existing networks), and the wildest part: fixing/troubleshooting major outages.

Andréa recommends the following next steps:

A handy skill to have when it comes troubleshooting outages is communicating well with external vendors, like telecommunications companies. The people you interact with will have different skills levels, so it's great to know how to describe your issue for any audience.
Thanks Andrea for responding. I will certainly keep in mind that I ought to be able to communicate with different people with varying degrees of technical skills. Michael C.
0