Career Questions tagged Materials Science

Ellie B.’s Avatar
Ellie B. Mar 15, 2018 266 views

What is the best major to go for stem cell/tissue engineering?

My end goal is stem cell and tissue engineering, but I don't know which major is best for me to take and learn the most for it. I've researched for a while now and have gathered that I can choose from ChemE with Bio electives, Materials Science, or Bioengineering. I just want to work in...

#bioengineering #biology #chemical-engineering #stem #tissue-engineering #materials-science #college-major #stem-cells

Amanda N.’s Avatar
Amanda N. Mar 10, 2018 300 views

What's the most difficult or unexpected aspect of a career as a chemical engineer or materials scientist?

I'm incredibly fond of the idea of melding my interests in both chemistry and engineering/experimental work, and I'm interested in what the challenges of these fields might be, or how they might differ. #engineering #chemical-engineering...

#materials-science

Caitlyn V.’s Avatar
Caitlyn V. Oct 31, 2016 552 views

I'm currently a senior in high school and plan to get a masters in Biomedical engineering. If i want to work in prosthetics, would mechanical engineering or materials science be a better undergrad degree?

I fell in love with engineering early on in my high school career but finding the right engineering field is a challenge. There are so many that appeal to me. I spent time at a biomedical engineering company over the summer and they are working on tissue regeneration and I found it fascinating,...

#biomedical #materials-science #biomedical-engineering #mechanical-engineering

Jacob D.’s Avatar
Jacob D. Oct 30, 2016 648 views

Do many of the required engineering courses for different engineering majors overlap?

I know that I want to major in engineering, but I am currently uncertain as to what specific major I want. If I get into college and decide to change my major from one field of engineering to another, how well do the classes overlap? Do I really have to know what specific field I want to go...

#electrical-engineering #materials-science #biomedical-engineering #engineering #college #computer-science #mechanical-engineering #computer-engineering

Christopher L.’s Avatar
Christopher L. Oct 30, 2016 310 views

What are some differences between the life of a material scientist and electrical engineer in industry versus research?

I am interested in Materials Science + Electrical Engineer joint major, but I'm not sure if it is an interest strong enough to pursue that major. I mean, it is fascinating, but I am unsure whether I would do industry, or research, or only focus on electrical engineering as a profession....

#electrical-engineering #materials-science #engineering

kimberly A.’s Avatar
kimberly A. Oct 19, 2016 379 views

Why is it that only a small amount of colleges have a material science major?

I live in southern California and noticed that only a small amount of colleges offer material science as a major. This confuses me not only because that's what i want to major in, but also the fact that this career can solve many environmental problems. #science #environment #materials-science...

#materials-engineering

Arshad A.’s Avatar
Arshad A. May 20, 2016 774 views

Is it a good idea to put some of the modules/subjects taken at college in the resume?

I am a fresh graduate in the midst of finding a suitable job. While searching various positions, I have found that some companies require knowledge in a particular area. For instance if I am applying for an Inspection Engineer position which requires knowledge in Non-Destructive Testing (NDT)...

#resume #careers #materials-science #engineering

Sofia L.’s Avatar
Sofia L. May 18, 2016 564 views

What kind of engineering career/major could I pursue if I am interested in the food industry and food chemistry as well as business?

I am a senior in high school heading to college next year. I am going to major in engineering, and although I don't have to declare until the end of my freshman year, I am leaning towards Chemical Engineering or Material Science Engineering. I have always been interested in leading a healthy...

#chemistry #materials-engineering #chemical-engineering #career #chemical-engineer #engineering #materials-science #business

Sofia L.’s Avatar
Sofia L. May 18, 2016 5669 views

What would be the major differences between majoring in Chemical Engineering versus Material Science Engineering?

I am going to major in engineering and love chemistry, and although I originally planned to major in Chemical Engineering, I recently heard and learned more about Material Science Engineering. I am now equally interested in both majors, but want to know what the major differences in jobs,...

#materials-science #chemistry #materials-engineering #chemical-engineering #chemical-engineer #engineering